There are 230 users in the forums

Quality Back Ups?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Which 49er back ups are NFL caliber? My list below with some very questionable selections. Need feedback to see if I can create a reasonable mock draft!

Offense
QB—no
RB—Hunter, Dixon, James, Lattimore
FB—no
WR—Patton
WR—no
TE—McDonald, Celek
LT—Boone
LG—Looney
C—Kilgore
RG—Looney
RT—Boone

Defense
LDT—Jerod-Eddie
NT—Dorsey or Williams
RDT—Carradine
OLB—Lemonier
OLB—Skuta
ILB—Wihoite
LCB—Morris (assuming Brock starts)
RCB—Cox (assuming Culliver starts)
FS—no
SS—no

Special Teams
PR—no
KR—no
LS, P, & K generally do not have back ups.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Which 49er back ups are NFL caliber? My list below with some very questionable selections.

Offense
QB—no
RB—Hunter, Dixon, James, Lattimore
FB—no
WR—Patton
WR—no
TE—McDonald, Celek
LT—Boone
LG—Looney
C—Kilgore
RG—Looney
RT—Boone

Defense
LDT—Jerod-Eddie
NT—Dorsey or Williams
RDT—Carradine
OLB—Lemonier
OLB—Skuta
ILB—Wihoite
LCB—Morris (assuming Brock starts)
RCB—Cox (assuming Culliver starts)
FS—no
SS—no

Special Teams
PR—no
KR—no
LS, P, & K generally do not have back ups.

Boones a starter! Tho shown he can be versatile and play tackle and lock down his man
Originally posted by frankie:
Boones a starter! Tho shown he can be versatile and play tackle and lock down his man

Yes, almost took him off the list of back ups but the line is an odd situation for backups...he is the only guy I would trust at all those positions.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yes, almost took him off the list of back ups but the line is an odd situation for backups...he is the only guy I would trust at all those positions.

So this list is our backups? Are the worthy backups? Is this what trying to ask. Cause ya asked if theyd start on other teams! Boone yes he would. Hunter is smaller he would prob be part of rotation along wit lmjames! Patton showed lil. Dixon short yardage, fb and sp teams ace!
Mostly agree with your list. Biggest take away for me is we need to stock up on WR and CB depth. Haven't seen enough from Morris to say he's a decent backup. There is a decent chance Kilgore is a starter next season.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Mostly agree with your list. Biggest take away for me is we need to stock up on WR and CB depth. Haven't seen enough from Morris to say he's a decent backup. There is a decent chance Kilgore is a starter next season.

Agreed, it would be nice to retain boldin, epic! Patton looks good, but a big speedster would be nice! Cb n safety if we cant retain whitner. Imo loosing whitner maybe more of hit then some may think. With the lose of dashon n addition of reid, whitners play jumped up a level! What a 2nd yr paired up bring. I like whitner also, maybe bias here. Rogers tho his contract less reworked may be gone. Cb prob top of draft lists with wr! Some have said to not trade up, i disagree if we can to pick up a stud wr, cb i say do it! 13 picks wont make this squad!
^^^basically crabs boldin patton, and a 1st to 2nd on a big fast wr would be hella nice!!! Not even mentioning vernon, vance a yr improved and gore and our rb stable led be kaep.
That would be scary! Give this team even more versatility.
Goniners
What this list also tells me is with one of the 2nd or 3rd round picks the niners need to draft a QB. If CK7 goes down I would like a capable back up under contract for four years.

It also tells me Jim Tomosulu needs a raise, he is as important to the DL as Bob Mckittrick was to the OL. Getting UDFA's like Dobbs, Ian Williams, and Tony Jerod Eddie to play so well is a testament to him.
What happened to Okoye? Is he completely out of the mix? Is he even on the team? Also, I would like the 49ers to stop drafting players who can't even contribute in the year they are selected. We all knew Lattimore was almost 100% not going to play this past season. I'm fine with that. Other picks like Carradine and Dial. What did they play? Like 5 snaps total? At least get players that can contribute in some way, be it special teams or some kind of rotation. I know every draft pick is not going to make the team. At least be able to get on the field.
Very nice - we have solid to great starters but should be building depth in the off-season via draft and free agency if the deal doesnt break the cap to extend our young starters like Kap, Crabtree, and Aldon. Depth could always be better!!!

So this list is our backups? Are the worthy backups? Is this what trying to ask. Cause ya asked if theyd start on other teams! Boone yes he would. Hunter is smaller he would prob be part of rotation along wit lmjames! Patton showed lil. Dixon short yardage, fb and sp teams ace!
My hope is to see if these guys are NFL caliber back-ups...they won't be starters next year but are they adequate back-ups if called upon to fill in. I was more than surprised and pleased by Skuta, Wilhoite and Dorsey this year, but should the team upgrade? That's more the question I'm looking to answer.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm worried about WR, S, CB and OL...and then QB more or less in that order. We don't know what the coaches opinion is but if Kilgore and Looney are legitimate future starters I would feel comfortable taking OLine off the worry list.

Morris is young and will likely need a couple of years to reach his potential, but as some bright former Raider owner once said, "You can't teach speed!"

HALCIONDAZE--I think Okoye is a real outside shot at sticking with the team. They have really good talent on the DLine and he would have to overcome more experienced guys like Dobbs and Dial.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Since all the back ups are on an NFL team I suppose they are NFL caliber.
Originally posted by BobS:
Since all the back ups are on an NFL team I suppose they are NFL caliber.

Edit--my definition of an NFL caliber player is one who could be a starter one day. --would the drop off be so great that the teams potential would plummet. For instance, if Kaepernick is injured then it is really unlikely the team will be in the playoffs. They do not have a back up QB I feel would be able to fill in adequately. A decent vet is the answer or a really good rookie. They didn't seem too concerned last year so...

They guys I listed are folks I believe could play on other teams in the NFL so are at least adequate back ups for a playoff team. The positions with "no" after them indicates those I believe are not up to NFL caliber standards.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone