There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Even if no one picks up Roman, Gary Kubiak for OC anyone? Or who do you want?

Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Harbaugh already has a hard time managing the game, adding play calling to his many sideline duties isn't the answer. I love it when I hear fans say, "Harbaugh, can change the play if he doesn't like it" How do you know that he isn't already doing just that, that is if there's any time left to make a change? More than likely he gets the call, doesn't like it, but there's only 12 seconds left on the play clock.

Easier said than done.

I always thought Harbs was doing the play calling whenever he put on his glasses on the side lines

Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I always thought Harbs was doing the play calling whenever he put on his glasses on the side lines

I noticed that too, makes sense. Doesn't bode well for Roman, if that is, in fact what he's doing. Still, don't think Roman gets replaced until he gets another job, or he just totally tanks the season with offensive ineptness.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by kujon11:
Man, a lot of good mangini did

Yeah WTF That was a waste of Money by Balke. Diffrent year same result in the very last game.

How can you say that when our record is 12 and 4 and we go to the NFC Championship? Sounds like he was pretty successful to me.
49er fans be like ZOMG WE SHOULD GET KUBIAK!

Texans fans be like ZOMG WE GOT RID OF CONSERVIAK THANK YOU FOOTBALL GODZZZZ!
At this point I would take any OC that doesn't fall asleep when the offense gets in the red zone. One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the Seattle game is the first drive of the game. Aldon forces a fumble and we start from their 15 and come away with 3 points after 3 awful play calls. That wasn't the first time this year that happened. As a matter of fact it was the theme of the 2013 season (see the Arizona game at home when we started inside their 10 twice and came away with 6 points). A TD on that opening drive and we'd playing in NY in 11 days.
What about kaepernicks college coach
Unfortunately I dont think this team will ever win a SB with Roman.
If Harbaugh starts praising Roman then we know its a good sign he is on his way out but I dont see that ever happening unless Roman gets hired. Hope he does.
I think that most of the perspective on Roman is way off. He actually did a great job playing to the strengths of this team. That said, I'm not sure what kind of production a team would get if they were trying to spread it out, with empty backfield 65att/game type offense. This is a run run run offense, that relies on playaction. Consider these perspectives:

1. Our QB was fairly green. He did have trouble getting through progressions at times (not all the time.) So what did he give the team? A QB who ran quite a bit, for nice yardage and 1st downs. He finished in the top 10 in QBR, YPA, and finsihed 1st in the NFL in 3rd down passer rating. (read that on some thread here).

2. We have a mauling OL and outstanding RB(s). Top 5 in rushing, and Frank was near the top in carries over 15 yards. This allows us to keep other offenses off the field, and play our other strength...

3. Top defense. Excellent against the pass, and elite agaist the run. Secondary had its moments, but thats not the OCs fault.

4. I think the biggest factor in our limited passing game was determined at the beginning of the year in camp. I beleive the 49ers thought they would be able to rely more on the read option. The leaguewide strategy against it basically became, "were gonna destroy your QB" and teams had to go away from it. If i had to guess, i would say that in camp, Kaep rarely took reps working on getting to his 3rd and 4th options. I give kudos to the speed at which Roman and Harbaugh moved us away from that strategy after getting our arses handed to us against SEA and IND in consecutive weeks. I think this factors MORE than the second largest obstacle of...

5. Our WRs were limited, for 3/4 of the year. Boldin=Beast. VD=Beast. Then we have what you might call a "dropoff". Manningham has never really been more than a 3rd option and injury, Baldwin is negligible. Patton showed some flashes, but was limited by injury and no one really had an opportunity to develop rapport with kaep. Crabtree came back and we got a LARGE boost.

i think the biggest knock on Roman is that he really did not want to take chances. we won 14 games with the strategy we had. That means HIS offense outscored the other team. It is a bummer that so many times we came away with FGs not TDs. But sometimes when you take chances to get those TDs you come away with NO points. In the last game we played, i think that the offense (even with 3 turnovers) did enough to win the game. Our D gave up the longest run of the season on a Lynch TD, and then a REDONK TD pass on a freeplay offside.

Instead of calling for Romans head, i suggest we start thinking that we are quite good at what we try to do. If you want us to look more like the Saints/Broncos, we need to start talking about TRYING to do something different
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
I think that most of the perspective on Roman is way off. He actually did a great job playing to the strengths of this team. That said, I'm not sure what kind of production a team would get if they were trying to spread it out, with empty backfield 65att/game type offense. This is a run run run offense, that relies on playaction. Consider these perspectives:

1. Our QB was fairly green. He did have trouble getting through progressions at times (not all the time.) So what did he give the team? A QB who ran quite a bit, for nice yardage and 1st downs. He finished in the top 10 in QBR, YPA, and finsihed 1st in the NFL in 3rd down passer rating. (read that on some thread here).

2. We have a mauling OL and outstanding RB(s). Top 5 in rushing, and Frank was near the top in carries over 15 yards. This allows us to keep other offenses off the field, and play our other strength...

3. Top defense. Excellent against the pass, and elite agaist the run. Secondary had its moments, but thats not the OCs fault.

4. I think the biggest factor in our limited passing game was determined at the beginning of the year in camp. I beleive the 49ers thought they would be able to rely more on the read option. The leaguewide strategy against it basically became, "were gonna destroy your QB" and teams had to go away from it. If i had to guess, i would say that in camp, Kaep rarely took reps working on getting to his 3rd and 4th options. I give kudos to the speed at which Roman and Harbaugh moved us away from that strategy after getting our arses handed to us against SEA and IND in consecutive weeks. I think this factors MORE than the second largest obstacle of...

5. Our WRs were limited, for 3/4 of the year. Boldin=Beast. VD=Beast. Then we have what you might call a "dropoff". Manningham has never really been more than a 3rd option and injury, Baldwin is negligible. Patton showed some flashes, but was limited by injury and no one really had an opportunity to develop rapport with kaep. Crabtree came back and we got a LARGE boost.

i think the biggest knock on Roman is that he really did not want to take chances. we won 14 games with the strategy we had. That means HIS offense outscored the other team. It is a bummer that so many times we came away with FGs not TDs. But sometimes when you take chances to get those TDs you come away with NO points. In the last game we played, i think that the offense (even with 3 turnovers) did enough to win the game. Our D gave up the longest run of the season on a Lynch TD, and then a REDONK TD pass on a freeplay offside.

Instead of calling for Romans head, i suggest we start thinking that we are quite good at what we try to do. If you want us to look more like the Saints/Broncos, we need to start talking about TRYING to do something different

Some of your points are valid but I feel the problem is when things are not working, the things we are good at, he doesnt adjust. The team scored 3 pts in the first 2 mins of the game and then 14 pts in the next 58. That was not gonna cut it. The defense gave up 20 points in the second half and we didnt even score half that. What the defense gives up its not the OC fault but when your not matching what the other team is putting up you have to make adjustments. This was a collective team let down and they could have should have won this game but seattle made adjustments and offense did not.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
49er fans be like ZOMG WE SHOULD GET KUBIAK!

Texans fans be like ZOMG WE GOT RID OF CONSERVIAK THANK YOU FOOTBALL GODZZZZ!

totally understandable, but imo Kubiak for OC..not Head Coach... and we don't have Matt Shaaaab at QB to f'things up.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
if no team takes Roman off our hands, then I'm sorry I'm ready to move on.

you may be but Harbaugh isn't

This.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
This.

This. Roman runs the system that Harbaugh wants, at some point, it becomes clear that this is the way Harbaugh wants things, for all the good stuff he does, he's Midwest, grind it out, physical, smashmouth, Bo-ball, run hard, take some shots downfield type football, You will never get a flashy, high octane passing offense unless Harbaugh completely changes his football philosophy.
welp Kubiak is off the board...and of course to Jim's brother. John, who has no issue with making changes with coaching personal if it is best for the team.

so there is no college team that wants Roman huh. Live or die with the same offense next year, offensive approach that opposing teams have been adjusting to.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
Kubiak is gone.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jan 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM ]