There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick Thread (2014-15 Season)

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
It is plays like this that makes me think Kap has something special that no other qb has. The dude jumped in the air, and threw a 30 yard bullet to Boldin. WOW

You guys are romanticizing over this play like it were 4th Down and in the 4th Quarter. Kaepernick threw a jumpball off one foot against the best secondary in the game. And then you guys are surprised he turned the ball over 3 times. The dropped INT versus the Packers

That play reeks of Tony Romo. Makes the unbelievable plays and the biggest blunders.
/
[ Edited by Forty_Niners on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:30 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What scares me is he keeps saying it was the right read in interviews. Covered like a glove against Richard Sherman the best CB in the league. 42 seconds left and 1st and 10 at the 18 yard line with 2 timeouts left. I beg to differ. It's not the right read or throw at that time in the game given the matchup. For 2 seasons in a row I hear the same stuff from him. "I trust Crabtree. I believe in Crabtree. I will always take Crab 1 on 1." Well 2 seasons came to a thud halt with that too. Maybe he should look at the WHOLE field and not just stare at Crabtree and force it to him. And understand the situation in a game and how to manage it. 42 seconds left, 1st and 10, 2 timeouts at the 18 yard line is no time to throw a prayer to the endzone with a low probability of success. This he has to improve on too.

Does Kaep have a big league arm? Yes. Does he have fast legs and can he run like the wind? Yes. Has his mind caught up to where it needs to be in reads and playing in the pocket? No way. Does he understand the situation in a game and time and location vs. risk and reward? I'm not seeing it so far.

I'm actually going to agree with you here.

I don't really buy the "it was the right/only read" or "I'll take that matchup every time" excuse. That wasn't the only play where Crab was singled up on Sherman, with no help over the top. That was there all game. Seattle plays single high safety daring you to test the deep sidelines against their big corners, and ball-hawk free safety. We never tested Sherman. I don't know why we tried there.

I agree. Wrong move. He needs to see the field better, understand his reads and maybe most important of all UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION in the game. I really don't think he does right now. There are a lot of intangible things. Some involve experience and some are just natural for some guys and very unnatural for others. Montana knew the situation in a game and where to go and what to do with it. It's hard to complain about his arm strength or legs (Kaep). It's the other things which are so important to NFL QB that he lacks. But they are so important they can derail us IMO if they don't improve. They did the last 2 seasons if you ask me. If he understands the situation better and understands his reads better we maybe have 2 trophies in the case or at least 1. I just think he needs to improve a lot of mind type areas that aren't related to arm strength or leg speed. He already has arm strength and leg speed. It's other things that need work.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM ]
What scares me is he keeps saying it was the right read in interviews. Covered like a glove against Richard Sherman the best CB in the league. 42 seconds left and 1st and 10 at the 18 yard line with 2 timeouts left. I beg to differ. It's not the right read or throw at that time in the game given the matchup. For 2 seasons in a row I hear the same stuff from him. "I trust Crabtree. I believe in Crabtree. I will always take Crab 1 on 1." Well 2 seasons came to a thud halt with that too. Maybe he should look at the WHOLE field and not just stare at Crabtree and force it to him. And understand the situation in a game and how to manage it. 42 seconds left, 1st and 10, 2 timeouts at the 18 yard line is no time to throw a prayer to the endzone with a low probability of success. This he has to improve on too.

Does Kaep have a big league arm? Yes. Does he have fast legs and can he run like the wind? Yes. Has his mind caught up to where it needs to be in reads and playing in the pocket? No way. Does he understand the situation in a game and time and location vs. risk and reward? I'm not seeing it so far.

I don't really buy the "it was the right/only read" or "I'll take that matchup every time" excuse. That wasn't the only play where Crab was singled up on Sherman, with no help over the top. That was there all game. Seattle plays single high safety daring you to test the deep sidelines against their big corners, and ball-hawk free safety. We never tested Sherman. I don't know why we tried there.

I agree. Wrong move. He needs to see the field better, understand his reads and maybe most important of all UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION in the game. I really don't think he does right now. There are a lot of intangible things. Some involve experience and some are just natural for some guys and very unnatural for others. Montana knew the situation in a game and where to go and what to do with it. It's hard to complain about his arm strength or legs (Kaep). It's the other things which are so important to NFL QB that he lacks. But they are so important they can derail us IMO if they don't improve. They did the last 2 seasons if you ask me. If he understands the situation better and understands his reads better we maybe have 2 trophies in the case or at least 1. I just think he needs to improve a lot of mind type areas that aren't related to arm strength or leg speed. He already has arm strength and leg speed. It's other things that need work.

Yup, I agree. The things he needs to work on are all mental. It was a poor decision given the situation. We had enough time for 4-6 plays, instead we got 1 low % shot at the EZ.

I think the coaches are aware of the mental hurdles he needs to overcome. There is a reason why he was held back from running during the season. Part of it was to keep him healthy, but I also think it was to condition him to hang in the pocket and scan the field. All of the mechanics that go into being a pocket passer has to be instinctual, like second nature.

Right now his natural instinct is to bail out and run when the 1st or 2nd read isn't there. It's his comfort zone, and when he's most effective by evidence of the playoffs. He looked indecisive at times during the regular season, probably fighting that urge to take off. In the long run it should pay off, but he still has a lot of work to do. I'm sure he will put in the time to get it all down.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM ]
Kap needs to work on his IQ not GQ.

Yup, I agree. The things he needs to work on are all mental. It was a poor decision given the situation. We had enough time for 4-6 plays, instead we got 1 low % shot at the EZ.

I think the coaches are aware of the mental hurdles he needs to overcome. There is a reason why he was held back from running during the season. Part of it was to keep him healthy, but I also think it was to condition him to hang in the pocket and scan the field. All of the mechanics that go into being a pocket passer has to be instinctual, like second nature.

Right now his natural instinct is to bail out and run when the 1st or 2nd read isn't there. It's his comfort zone, and when he's most effective by evidence of the playoffs. He looked indecisive at times during the regular season, probably fighting that urge to take off. In the long run it should pay off, but he still has a lot of work to do. I'm sure he will put in the time to get it all down.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:

Sometimes he goes GQ and sometimes he wears a pink jacket with pink shoes at an awards show.....

Sometimes he goes GQ and sometimes he wears a pink jacket with pink shoes at an awards show.....
He does seem pretty enamored with pop culture ..... But it makes sense for him to work on his image ... Endorsement's pay him more than we do

Ya playing from the pocket really worked for Manning. It's not the same for all Qb's, some people are different than others.
Originally posted by Forty_Niners:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
It is plays like this that makes me think Kap has something special that no other qb has. The dude jumped in the air, and threw a 30 yard bullet to Boldin. WOW

You guys are romanticizing over this play like it were 4th Down and in the 4th Quarter. Kaepernick threw a jumpball off one foot against the best secondary in the game. And then you guys are surprised he turned the ball over 3 times. The dropped INT versus the Packers

That play reeks of Tony Romo. Makes the unbelievable plays and the biggest blunders.

Maybe you should switch teams to root for, doesn't sound like you really like the Niners..

willing to bet Kap had better grades than either of you coming out of school, and can think faster while making good/correct decisions than either of you during stress tests. You 2 crack me up, in a bad way..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Ya playing from the pocket really worked for Manning. It's not the same for all Qb's, some people are different than others.

Harbs said it was the right call too. You have your #1 receiver one-on-one in the end zone. You give him a chance to make that play.
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Harbs said it was the right call too. You have your #1 receiver one-on-one in the end zone. You give him a chance to make that play.
Not bashing the Kapster but it looked like Boldin was open on the last play. He'll get better at it, he's still learning to play the pro game. I said from the start he was a raw project qb that would take a little time to adjust to the pro game.
If Kap looked Left first he would've seen his other options and would've froze LB Malcolm Smith and that throw to Crab would've been incomplete.. It's probably the right read but he stared down Crabtree all the way that caused the LB to go on that direction.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home