There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick Thread (2014-15 Season)

Originally posted by WeDidIt:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Same group? I disagree. There is one group that hated on the previous QB and there's another group that hates on this one...and then there's a lot of people inbetween both extremes on both.

I don't know. I think there's one group of Joe lovers who compare every QB to him. I am baffled by the amount of criticism Kaepernick gets, though. Yea, some constructive criticism here and there is OK. But he gets downright bashed. I don't understand.

A lot of people are EMO right now about the loss and how SEA won it all ( ).

Some people take it out on Roman, Anthony Davis, Roman or SEA. And some on Kapernick. When the draft comes around and things have calmed, some of the bashers will unlock the claws. Others will continue, but oh well.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This is the Kap thread. That weenie's name is no longer allowed in Niner Talk.

The first time anyone ever noticed the former Niners starting QB throwing somebody open was at the end of the 2011 Divisional playoff game against the Saints and he was 6 years into his NFL career. But really, how long are people around here going to re-hash that last play of the NFC Championship game? I'd like to know why people aren't re-hashing the fact that on the Seahawks last TD play, the officials had blown the whistle but let the play proceed anyway. That seems a lot stranger to me than an aggressive QB deciding he's going to target the side of the field where there is only one DB rather than the side with three DB's.

I thought the clock ran out as well but didn't know about the whistle being blown. Could explain why Rogers didn't even play the ball and just watched it. Oh well. Its over now.
Just my opinion:

Legitimate criticism would be Kaepernick still has work to do on pocket passing skills, sliding in the pocket while buying time, seeing the entire field, more consistently going through reads, not deciding ahead of time where he's going and letting the play dictate, pre-snap reads of the defensive formations. But, I think that if you really watched this season carefully, you would have to come away with the conclusion that he was working on that and progressing at all these skills. Did he get to the point where he was doing all of these things consistently? Of course not. He obviously had moments where he lapsed and moments where he progressed.

Ridiculous criticism, to me, is repeating the tired old cliches about him, ie. "he's a one-read QB", he can't go through progressions, he's a running QB, etc. And, one of the most ridiculous to me is the assumption that he'll always be the same QB as he was these past one and a half seasons. Come on. That's just a very strange take. Very few good QB's are the same as they were after one and a half seasons. The other kinds of ridiculous criticisms I see are personality or image based.
I thought the clock ran out as well but didn't know about the whistle being blown. Could explain why Rogers didn't even play the ball and just watched it. Oh well. Its over now.

It's just a very strange play. You can see at least one ref waving his arms with the whistle in his mouth if memory serves. You can also understand why the front pass rushers just stood up and stopped letting Wilson basically just stand there and deliver a ball with no pressure. I still can't understand Rodgers not batting down the ball when he's got his had right there, but oh well. That's football. He simply didn't make the play. I wouldn't have even expected anyone in the backfield to think the play is over because they're running with the receivers.
Just my opinion:

Legitimate criticism would be Kaepernick still has work to do on pocket passing skills, sliding in the pocket while buying time, seeing the entire field, more consistently going through reads, not deciding ahead of time where he's going and letting the play dictate, pre-snap reads of the defensive formations. But, I think that if you really watched this season carefully, you would have to come away with the conclusion that he was working on that and progressing at all these skills. Did he get to the point where he was doing all of these things consistently? Of course not. He obviously had moments where he lapsed and moments where he progressed.

Ridiculous criticism, to me, is repeating the tired old cliches about him, ie. "he's a one-read QB", he can't go through progressions, he's a running QB, etc. And, one of the most ridiculous to me is the assumption that he'll always be the same QB as he was these past one and a half seasons. Come on. That's just a very strange take. Very few good QB's are the same as they were after one and a half seasons. The other kinds of ridiculous criticisms I see are personality or image based.

Kap gets held to a totally unrealistic standard because of the success weve had. Its as if people dont realize hes been a big reason we are 21-8 since he took over at QB.

Any normal young QB on any 8-8 type team finishing their first season as a starter would be given a TON of slack for having the type of seasons Kap has had statistics and fundamentals wise.

Nobody would be yelling about how hes not good enough. Theyd be excited that he threw for over 3,000 yards in his first full season, with 500 rush yards, 25 total
TD's and just 8 picks.

But since he got us to the SB and NFC title game 2 straight years, and couldnt pull it off, now hes "not good enough".

BTW Zone, good to see the Seahawks SB champs gear ad's all over the site.
A lot of people are EMO right now about the loss and how SEA won it all ( ).

Some people take it out on Roman, Anthony Davis, Roman or SEA. And some on Kapernick. When the draft comes around and things have calmed, some of the bashers will unlock the claws. Others will continue, but oh well.

Obviously, like any Niner fan I would have hoped for the best end to the season. I don't know why, but I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be that Seattle won the game. It might be Sherman giving the Niners a lot of respect in his article for Sports Illustrated the next day. It might be that it shows the rest of the NFL just how tough it is in the NFC West to have a good record similar to the way people used to be in awe of the NFC East. It might be that I don't mind Seattle and the Northwest finally getting a little satisfaction. It might also be that only 2 teams have ever repeated in the 20 years since the salary cap came into effect, only 3 teams have ever even returned to the game the next year in that period and Seattle really does have a much bigger cap problem facing them than anyone seems to want to think about. They've got two receivers and one O-lineman who count $34 million against next year's cap for cryin out loud.
Pounding our chest over the toughness of the NFC West and how we were the second best team makes us the Texas A&M of the SEC. Don't win championships but brag about the accomplishments of our competition. Don't be that guy. Until we win a Super Bowl, we have no room to brag.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Kap gets held to a totally unrealistic standard because of the success weve had. Its as if people dont realize hes been a big reason we are 21-8 since he took over at QB.

Any normal young QB on any 8-8 type team finishing their first season as a starter would be given a TON of slack for having the type of seasons Kap has had statistics and fundamentals wise.

Nobody would be yelling about how hes not good enough. Theyd be excited that he threw for over 3,000 yards in his first full season, with 500 rush yards, 25 total
TD's and just 8 picks.

But since he got us to the SB and NFC title game 2 straight years, and couldnt pull it off, now hes "not good enough".

I think a good part of it is just playing QB for the Niners. A lot of people are too young to remember that Steve Young went though a very similar period and it really wore him down emotionally. For three or four years, people were repeating the argument that he just wasn't good enough to get the Niners over the top. That's why he was running around like a madman yelling "the monkey's off my back" when they finally got by the Cowboys and then again when they won the Super Bowl.

And, it's a very similar thing for Kaepernick. Even though he wasn't close to Montana's class, the former starter was very popular around here with some very dedicated fans and people are still bitter that Kaepernick took over for him. The bottom line for any Niner QB is that people are going to complain unless the team wins a Super Bowl and then some people will complain that he hasn't won enough Super Bowls.
Originally posted by Forty_Niners:
Pounding our chest over the toughness of the NFC West and how we were the second best team makes us the Texas A&M of the SEC. Don't win championships but brag about the accomplishments of our competition. Don't be that guy. Until we win a Super Bowl, we have no room to brag.

I mostly agree with this. Losing to the Super Bowl winner three years in a row is providing NO satisfaction. Knowing that the NFCCG in Seattle should have been ours but for the perfect storm of Seattle's comeback, the offense's meltdown, and the officials' Alzheimer's...that sucks.
Just my opinion:

Agreed. Constructive criticism is always good. Bashing and making comparisons to previous QBs especially the greatest one ever is downright silly. It's like bashing Crabs because he's not playing like Jerry.

You're entitled to act and feel any way you want and you're entitled to your opinion. I'm certainly not pounding my chest and I'm certainly not bragging. All I'm doing is looking for any solace I can find out of the situation. The fact is that the NFC West is now easily the class of the NFL. The fact is that any team in the NFC West is going to be tough for anyone to play because all four teams are powerful, almost brutal teams.

If one would rather look at the world or at anything in particular as an all or nothing or black and white proposition, that's fine with me, but that's not how I look at things. I actually try to see shades of gray in almost everything because I think that all or nothing thinking just sets you up for disappointment most of the time. Most of the time, you don't get it all. In sports, most of the time you absolutely do not win it all. The best hitters in baseball fail 2 out of 3 times they come to the plate. The best teams in the history of the Niners franchise failed to win championships a lot more times than they succeeded. But, in my mind, those teams that failed were still filled with greatness.
Originally posted by Niners99:

TD's and just 8 picks.

Do people forget the days before Harbaugh? We sucked. We were so bad. We were out of the playoff hunt by week 5. Now we act like entitled brats. I hate it.
Originally posted by WeDidIt:
Do people forget the days before Harbaugh? We sucked. We were so bad. We were out of the playoff hunt by week 5. Now we act like entitled brats. I hate it.

People with certain kinds of personalities also tend to see the world in black and white, all or nothing. I don't think it's a very mature perspective on things, but that's just my opinion.
Just my opinion:

Wait, these aren't true?
Wait, these aren't true?

Clearly they're not.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home