LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

4 and 7 TD on free play will Haunt me for the rest of my LIFE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aldon and Ahmad have been jumping offsides for years and then proceeding to stand there. Eventually it was going to burn us and it finally did. I have posted a 100 times over 4-5 years about Brooks (and aldon a little) jumping offsides then standing there instead of continuing to go after the QB. They will blow it dead if you get close enough to the QB after jumping but don't just stand there and make the free play even easier. Aldon and Ahmad show the same bad judgement off the field in the past as they do on the field at times.

Yep and allowing 15 on 3rd and 22 that was b.s., even after he caught it we had a half ass tackle attempts. It's part of our philosophy to keep everything in front of us but I wish on 3rd downs we'd press coverage and not off 10 yards on 3rd and 10. Either way the defense has carried us throughout the year, the offense is more of a concern for me.
I try not to get so emotionally involved in these losses like I used to but yeah, I can absolutely feel your pain on that 4th and 7 play. Absolutely BS the last 2 plays leading up to it, and the Hauschka non kick.

Anytime Wilson gets a long strike against us it's grating. Other QBs too, but he doesn't deserve to do that s**** against us.
And of course they complete the pass. Right before the play, I told my wife..."o crap, they are going for it...they'll get it" fully expecting a short conversion...so close to knocking that away. After that play...I wish kap could make that same play on the last drive... Oh well
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
oops, n/m, thought this was about the long lynch run.

th 4th and 7 td was just a great pitch/catch. Rogers had excellent coverage.
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:24 AM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
There were a handful plays/calls that doomed the Nines, but yeah, this one was particularly bad. And really the die was cast on 3rd down... had them on the ropes after the grounding call, so 3rd & 22. Then of course the Niners played WAY too soft, so short throw to Miller and he's able to run for 15-yds. 4th & 7, AFTER a timeout, you'd think not falling for the hard count would've been beat into everyone's head during the TO... but they STILL jump, and seemed like half of the defense thought play was dead, and in fact whoever it was in the middle (McDonald?) just stood there at the LOS. And it was a great throw by Wilson, but Rogers was in a position to make a play, but instead he gave the most feeble little wave at the ball. Pathetic attempt to break it up. Even though was early 4th, that's when my Niner pessimism kicked in and deep down felt the game was over.

agree at the pessimism part. I felt like if we didn't put them away (this type of game, 2 score lead would've been sufficient) that eventually that DEF was going to make a play/plays and that would be the game. Not sure why Harbaugh went w/ Rodgers. Cox was the hot hand. I think there were 2 players who jumped on that play. either way, I heard the dishes break when they scored that TD. then kap comes back with the fumble. GAME SET MATCH
Can someone post a shot along the line of scrimmage at the snap, because I felt this was one of many times where the defender wasn't actually offside and the flag both allowed the offense to be overly aggressive and caused the defense to be less than all out.

A defender is not like the OL, where if they flinch or take a step it's illegal, but I've been bothered by it often being inappropriately being called on defensive players for a step whether it is across the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped or not (& not unabated to the qb). They have to actually be across the line of scrimmage at the time the ball is snapped for it to be offsides. Unless my understanding of the rule is incorrect, It is a flag that is improperly thrown often.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/seattle-seahawks-nfc-championship-game-fourth-down-touchdown/

here if you gotta dwell on it
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Can someone post a shot along the line of scrimmage at the snap, because I felt this was one of many times where the defender wasn't actually offside and the flag both allowed the offense to be overly aggressive and caused the defense to be less than all out.

A defender is not like the OL, where if they flinch or take a step it's illegal, but I've been bothered by it often being inappropriately being called on defensive players for a step whether it is across the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped or not (& not unabated to the qb). They have to actually be across the line of scrimmage at the time the ball is snapped for it to be offsides. Unless my understanding of the rule is incorrect, It is a flag that is improperly thrown often.

it was a D-lineman

http://sports.yahoo.com/loop/nfl-20140119026-914361697
Yeah this is the one play that will stick with me for a long time, I was telling my buddy about this.. According to PFT Hauschka didn't want to kick that FG, Since its offside it would've probably been 4th and 2 and the way the Defense was playing could've been a FG or Niners ball on down if they didn't convert. Either way niners could've won that game with a FG assuming Hawks kicked 2 FG and Niners kicked a FG in the end instead of going for a TD, Should've been 20-19. In the end it is what it is and Carlos got burnt. Cant rewind time, 8 more months Faithfuls! New stadium and A team that's more hungry than ever.
Originally posted by 9erTilDeath:
That is the only play that is still buried in the pit of my stomach.. I whole heartedly felt in my heart ( I said to my crazed Niner buddies right before Pete the Cheat went for it on 4th) I said, fellas Pete is desperate and knows he doesn't have too many chances, get this 4th down stop and we go back to the SB.. If we got that 4th down stop and took over at our own 35 carrying a 17-13 lead, the momentum of the 4th down stop and holding a lead would've propelled us to a long scoring drive..

I have not slept since that godforsaken play. I think this team is cursed. We have arguably been the best team in the NFL the last 3 seasons and have no hardware to show for it..

Carlos Rogers.. I'm dumbfounded that harbaugh doesn't know what 90% of the average niner fans know about Rogers.. He is bad at football , period. He sucks flat out sucks..
That POS very well may have caused this franchise another shot.. I truly believe without a shred of any doubt that was the play of the game.. I had a feeling of enormous disgust after that one. Fluke BS freebie TD.. All the stars were aligned for the shut hawks on that play and Rogers put the cherry on top..

I don't care about Kaps 3 turnovers in the 4th.. One plays changes the course of momentum and the execution of plays to come. 4th and 7 ripped my freaking heart out..
I'm 25 and I've never felt this sick over a loss.. At halftime I never had a single doubt we wouldn't win. Not ONE BIT..
Still shell shocked..

I'm with you 100% on this. That score changed our entire gameplan. If we held them there to at least a FG, we would have gone into ground and pound clock-burning mode instead of having Kap sling the ball all over the field against that secondary. Kap made bad throws, but the offense was in come from behind mode and Kap isn't Brady or Manning in that regard.

I place the blame on Carlos Rodgers. Allowing a desperation TD pass on 4th and 7 is unforgivable. I want his ass gone. He's too old. His time has passed. I'm sure the Cowboys can use him.

Looking at the video shows Rodgers was in better position then Reid who got beat by Baldwin. I hate to say it but looks like are defense wasnt ready personel wise cant have safeties one on one with Baldwin. Should never of happened if the refs did their job.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by mug0mug:

it was a D-lineman

http://sports.yahoo.com/loop/nfl-20140119026-914361697

it was Aldon
I knew something bad was going to happen when I saw that Carlos Rogers was on the active roster for this game... I don't know what our coaches see in him, dude is complete garbage... Even my wife a football neophyte knows that Rogers is complete a$$!!! Cut him please and send Roman with him!!!!
I knew something bad was going to happen when I saw that Carlos Rogers was on the active roster for this game... I don't know what our coaches see in him, dude is complete garbage... Even my wife a football neophyte knows that Rogers is complete a$$!!! Cut him please and send Roman with him!!!!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
oops, n/m, thought this was about the long lynch run.

th 4th and 7 td was just a great pitch/catch. Rogers had excellent coverage.

Yeah right!! Lol. He bit hard on an outside move and was beat by a few yards, he recovered a bit, by then it was too little too late. (Like he always is) A better example of good coverage better throw would be the one Cam made vs Brown when we played Carolina.
Share 49ersWebzone