There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by thl408:
Very much in agreement on the bolded. In a vacuum, the decision to throw the pass is okay. But considering the game situation, like you stated, no need for the risk. Blah.

Just one more time to show Sherman's coverage. f**k this play.


Boldin had a TD
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by thl408:
I've read many of the arguments in favor and against the decision to throw this pass and everyone has legit reasons to feel how they feel. On one side, people are content with the throw because it's Crabs 1 on 1 with no safety help. On the other side, it's 1st down with time left on the clock versus a very good CB. At first, I was meh with it because he didn't throw into double coverage, which is a cardinal sin. But after seeing it in slo mo, Kap had an opportunity to look elsewhere once he saw that Sherman was step for step. He can like the matchup presnap, that's fine, but it never means he must follow through with it.

Step for step or not, sometimes a QB is going to give his receiver a chance to make a play. HOWEVER, I just don't think it was necessary in this instance, particularly when the guy who is step-for-step is arguably the best corner in the game right now. Even as it was happening, I wanted them to call a TO after Davis' catch got them the 1st down at the 18. Call the TO and you've still got 1 left with around 50 seconds of clock...it's not like they HAD to get it in within a play or two, there was still the possibility of a 1st & Goal situation, and just felt that letting the clock run down to ~25 seconds wasn't best option.

Very much in agreement on the bolded. In a vacuum, the decision to throw the pass is okay. But considering the game situation, like you stated, no need for the risk. Blah.

Just one more time to show Sherman's coverage. f**k this play.



Whilst I agree with you on many things, I don't agree with you on this or your breakdown at all.

Kap knows the double move is coming, it's in the play call, he's throwing as Crab starts the double move only Crabs doesn't actually sell it well at all, he takes a hitch step and keeps on his route and Sherman sticks with him. Kap is actually at the beginning of his throwing motion as Crabs makes the step.

Normally you take a balanced view on things but I think you're throwing fuel on the fire for a bunch emotionally charged posters who just want to vent and bash as evidenced by the following posts.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by thl408:
I've read many of the arguments in favor and against the decision to throw this pass and everyone has legit reasons to feel how they feel. On one side, people are content with the throw because it's Crabs 1 on 1 with no safety help. On the other side, it's 1st down with time left on the clock versus a very good CB. At first, I was meh with it because he didn't throw into double coverage, which is a cardinal sin. But after seeing it in slo mo, Kap had an opportunity to look elsewhere once he saw that Sherman was step for step. He can like the matchup presnap, that's fine, but it never means he must follow through with it.

Step for step or not, sometimes a QB is going to give his receiver a chance to make a play. HOWEVER, I just don't think it was necessary in this instance, particularly when the guy who is step-for-step is arguably the best corner in the game right now. Even as it was happening, I wanted them to call a TO after Davis' catch got them the 1st down at the 18. Call the TO and you've still got 1 left with around 50 seconds of clock...it's not like they HAD to get it in within a play or two, there was still the possibility of a 1st & Goal situation, and just felt that letting the clock run down to ~25 seconds wasn't best option.

Very much in agreement on the bolded. In a vacuum, the decision to throw the pass is okay. But considering the game situation, like you stated, no need for the risk. Blah.

Just one more time to show Sherman's coverage. f**k this play.



Whilst I agree with you on many things, I don't agree with you on this or your breakdown at all.

Kap knows the double move is coming, it's in the play call, he's throwing as Crab starts the double move only Crabs doesn't actually sell it well at all, he takes a hitch step and keeps on his route and Sherman sticks with him. Kap is actually at the beginning of his throwing motion as Crabs makes the step.

Normally you take a balanced view on things but I think you're throwing fuel on the fire for a bunch emotionally charged posters who just want to vent and bash as evidenced by the following posts.

Good post. Again, this was a pre-snap decision. Boldin looks to be coming open, but Kap isn't looking at him at this point because his pre-snap read told him he should go to Crabtree. These things happen. You can go back and dissect most QB decisions that resulted in a bad outcome to show that there were better options. It is what it is, let's move on from it.
all you can ask for is a shot at the end of the game to win, and we had it. Especially @ SEATTLE. Now due to the great 3 quarters we played, our expectations increased A LOT, but we all know its almost impossible to win there. Before the game if you were told 30sec left, down 6pts, 2 TOs from the 18yd line, we would all have taken that.

Lets just hope we can find a diamond in the rough in the draft (4-7th round) who can contribute and possibly turn into a star.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Whilst I agree with you on many things, I don't agree with you on this or your breakdown at all.

Kap knows the double move is coming, it's in the play call, he's throwing as Crab starts the double move only Crabs doesn't actually sell it well at all, he takes a hitch step and keeps on his route and Sherman sticks with him. Kap is actually at the beginning of his throwing motion as Crabs makes the step.

Normally you take a balanced view on things but I think you're throwing fuel on the fire for a bunch emotionally charged posters who just want to vent and bash as evidenced by the following posts.

Good point that Kap throws it just as Crabs stutter steps. So if Crabs doesn't sell the double move well, which is designed to bait Sherman into taking a false step and hopefully get into a trail position, isn't it up to Kap to recognize that it's a no go? Again, just my take, the film is for everyone to evaluate on their own. A QB should not throw a fade route when the CB is over the top of the WR. This is poor recognition of leverage. I'm still trying to remain objective, never trying to throw fuel on the fire. When Kap does well, I commend him. I'm not going to commend him here.

I am assuming that you are okay with the decision to throw it to Crabs based solely off the pre-snap read. I disagree with this in that Kap must still read how the CB is aligned with the WR prior to making this throw. Had Sherman played bail technique, no way Kap throws this.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Boldin had a TD

Every time I watch that play it pisses me off.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Boldin had a TD

To me, it only looked that way because the defender in the endzone inside of Boldin started moving towards the other side after Kaep released the ball. Otherwise, he has responsibility for Boldin if he breaks inward. Boldin wasn't quite open but there may have been something there if he was the first read.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,032
Some names to throw out there in case Whitner doesn't return.... Major Wright (smart player with good work ethic like Whitner), Mike Mitchell (could be our version of Kam Chancellor).
[ Edited by SaksV on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM ]
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 166
Keep in mind that even after the Seahawks tied the game, Kaep led the offense right back down the field to get the lead back to 7 points. Then what happened. The defense let Wilson complete the long pass letting Seattle pull within 4. A play where 2 defenders let the receiver get behind them because they were acting like the play was over. Some of the defenders stopped chasing Wilson as he was running around. Then on a 4th down play Aldon Smith jumps offside and the defensive line pretty much stops before going after Wilson. That allowed him to get that touchdown, giving Seattle the lead.

It was only after that point, with Seattle in the lead and showing momentum that Kaep started pressing with the resulting mistakes. The defense that played great in the first half made some major mistakes in the second. It was a team loss.
You guys do of course reallize that the 49ers absolutely HAVE to win the Super Bowl next year. Its Super Bowl 49 afterall.. :)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys do of course reallize that the 49ers absolutely HAVE to win the Super Bowl next year. Its Super Bowl 49 afterall.. :)

I'm all for it. But I would have taken this year and next year...
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys do of course reallize that the 49ers absolutely HAVE to win the Super Bowl next year. Its Super Bowl 49 afterall.. :)

I'm all for it. But I would have taken this year and next year...


We'll just have to settle for SB 49 and 50 in our house. :D
Watching this play is torture lol. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say but man it seems like he could've chosen any other receiver on this play to throw to and had a better chance than Crabs. A look off or pump fake in the direction of Crabs then come back to Boldin wouldve been an easy td. The more mature QBs do that . kap will get there one day. There was only one threat of pass rush and the left side of the pocket was squeaky clean. Had Kap come off of Crabtree i'm convinced he wouldve found someone open or scrambled for positive yards. I personally felt that Seattle was gassed at that point and I barely remember the 12th man during that last drive they were hodling on for dear life lol .. One thing I'm not going to say anymore is that were better than Seattle. These teams are EVEN ..if they played 10x they'd split 5-5. They got this one. I honestly respect them alot more now. I just hope we keep getting better and avoid a major regression next season.
Originally posted by BKpower:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Boldin had a TD

To me, it only looked that way because the defender in the endzone inside of Boldin started moving towards the other side after Kaep released the ball. Otherwise, he has responsibility for Boldin if he breaks inward. Boldin wasn't quite open but there may have been something there if he was the first read.

I'm choosing to agree with this because it makes sleeping at night easier.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys do of course reallize that the 49ers absolutely HAVE to win the Super Bowl next year. Its Super Bowl 49 afterall.. :)

I'm all for it. But I would have taken this year and next year...


We'll just have to settle for SB 49 and 50 in our house. :D

Well if you're going to dream...first ever 3 peat?