Originally posted by Marvin49:
Just got back from Los Angeles and have had a 6 hour drive to think about the game. Haven't rewatched yet (may wait at least a few weeks).
1) Kap: OK...let me start by saying anyone who wants to replace Kap as the QB needs to stop sniffing glue. I haven't even read anything on this site yet but I KNOW you guys have probably already been out in force.
First off, Kap was the only person who did ANYTHING in the game on offense. The plays he made with his legs and arm were the only reason they were in the game at the end. Then Seahawks completely eliminated the run game. Gore could do nothing. Boldin dropped two passes. Lets also not forget that the Seahawks are the best pass D in the NFL for a REASON. Did Colin play perfectly? Of course not. Still a young player in the most hostile environment in the NFL and still was one throw away from winning his FOURTH consecutive road game and FOURTH road playoff game.
I'd like to highlight that last part in particular. No team has EVER won 4 straight games on the road. Ever. No team has won back to back Conference Championship games on the road. Anyone ready to throw the towel in on Kap need to remove their cranium from their rectum. Kap is going to be here for a long time so you had better get used to it.
Some of my favorite quotes I've seen on PFT say stuff like "Great Athlete but Niners will never win a Championship with Kaepernick". That comment makes me laugh. It shows very little understanding of 49er history. I remember another player who was tagged with the exact same line...athletic, great runner, best RB on the team, too undisciplined, they will never win a Championship with him.
His name was Steve Young.
2) Richard Sherman: Undoubtedly the biggest pr*ck in the NFL. I've been on a few sites that are actually defending him, saying Crabtree tried to "start a fight" with him, etc, etc. Ya know what? That dude isn't just an a$$hat, he's also a boldfaced liar. I don't believe a single word that comes after his mouth. I remember his "account" of how he congratulated Harbaugh after the week 2 game and how the video showed that he comp[lately made up what happened. He never game Harbaugh the chance to respond before he ran away. It pretty much puts a slant on every single thing I hear from him. Crab said earlier in the week that he didn't think Sherman was the best and that he didn't pay attention to particular players...just teams. THAT was what Dick Sherman responded to. Seriously? THAT comment is the reason you make yourself look like a moron on National TV? The sad part is that the guy is good. REALLY good. He's smart. He's dedicated to his craft. If he would shut his mouth he'd actually get the respect he claims he never gets. I might actually have rooted for the Seahawks 2 sundays from now but I can't bring myself to root for that piece of trash. What absolutely BLOWS ME AWAY is how all I read from Seahawks fans is how big a douche Harbaugh and Kaepernick are. They b***h and complain about how those two don't respect them. They see NO ISSUE with Shermans antics. Unbelievable hypocritical.
3) Bowman: Ultimate adding injury to insult. I'm bothered by the game, but I'm crushed because of that injury. I hope he can make it back, but I don't want them to rush him. I want him back as close to 100% as possible. The fact that he hung onto the ball...OMG. That's just nuts. The fact that the refs missed it...no comment.
4) Aldon: Dude is a straight pass rushing monster. Really only participated greatly in 12 games this season (missed 5 and was limted in 2 more) and still amassed 12 sacks. Even when double and triple teamed, he can't be contained forever.
5) Seattle fans: As disgusted as I am at Sherman and by the fan who threw popcorn at Bowman as he exited the field, I honestly don't think that behavior is indicative of most of that fanbase. I was on Seahawks.net last night and I was seeing a level of respect for the 49ers that I hadn't seen before and peeps upset about the popcorn incident and wishing the best for Bowman and Iupati. Just want to keep it in perspective. One idiot fan does not an entire fanbase make. If we hold them all responsible for that then we are all no better than Niner fans who stab opposing fans the Candlestick parking lot. Just sayin'.
6) Crab/Boldin/WRs: Really looking forward to getting him next year with a full offseason to recover. He has played far better than I ever could have expected, but there is no way he was 100% this year. Really hoping they can resign Boldin for a reasonable price. I think that his issue last year with Baltimore and not wanting to take a pay cut had more to do with wanting Baltimore to honor their contract than wanting the payday. We'll see because thing are going to get tight. I would expect the Niners to draft another WR and see Crab/Boldin/Patton/Draft Pick as the teams WRs next year.
7) Secondary: My guess is that both Donte Whitner, Terrell Brown, and Carlos Rogers have put on the red and gold for the last time. Rogers doesn't concern me. Cully is back. Brock will start....but they will have to select a CB fairly high and probably sign a few cheap free agents to compete. I was never a fan of Whitner...until this year. Replacing him is my biggest concern on D. I just don't see how they sign him AND keep everyone else.
The good news is that Baalke has shown an ability to go find guys who were highly ranked coming out of college and have been a "bust" with the teams that selected them and then allowing them to succeed with this coaching staff (See Whitner, Donte: Rogers, Carlos: Dorsey, Glenn). He'll need to do it again in a few positions on the team.
8) Contracts: Now stuff starts to get expensive. My guess is Kap and Aldon get redone in the offseason and Crab and Iupati play out their contracts. Given the choiceof the two, I'd say resign Crab...but I'm not sure it will be possible.
9) Championship Window: This all leads me to my biggest concern. The Niners are in danger of having their Championship window expire. Gore is not getting any younger. Neither is Justin Smith. I can't wait to see Lattimore or Carradine, but we won't know till those guys can play. The 49ers of the past were able to restock their rosters and keep that window open for an incredibly long time. We'll just have to see if Baalke can do the same now that those rookie deals are expiring. Having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds helps. Having a new stadium and a team that has been in the NFC Championship 3 years running helps attract free agents. This should be an interesting offseason.
10) Refs: The refs were bad. Niners got hosed on a few calls. Ya know what tho? I spent weeks being pissed off after the Super Bowl. I don't want to do it again. Some of the missed calls didn't make a difference anyway. Some might have made a difference, but the reality is that we'll never know and getting pissed about it won't change it. Nobody is going to remember that a drive should have been extended by a roughing the kicker call. Nobody cares and will only site some call that went against them 2 years earlier. No point to it.
OK, when's the draft? Looking forward to watching a bit of a retool this offseason.
1) Always good to read a balanced view, it's been the usual posse looking to hang our QB on the boards. yes his 2nd interception lost us the game, but as I've said on a couple of threads only Kap and Boldin showed up to play though I think Frank was hampered by our Oline. It's sad that with one 17 yard reception he had more yards than on 11 carries....
Even with that 2nd interception from Kap, I have trouble assigning the whole blame to him. As they move up to the ball he's looking at Harbaugh on the timelines asking for a time out and HArbs gives him the sign for hurry up offense, he gets the play call designed to give 1v1 for Crabs on a fade and throws it. I think that's a TD if it was any other CB in the league asides from Sherman - I can't see Revis getting that high to tip it. Unfortunately just a great play from the defender, it happens.
2) Sherman made a great play but just branded himself as an a*****e, about time everyone saw it.
3) Just hope he recovers, nothing more to say sadly beyond watching one of the best 2 linebackers in the game sacrifice his body to try and get a win for the team. True sporting hero stuff, he deserves to come back to the same peak.
4) Aldon is unplayable 1v1 at the moment. I think Justin might have dropped off slgihtly as he's only seeing single man but he's still wreaking havoc. Aldon has also shown that he's a complete OLB and can drop into coverage. Best OLB in the game at the moment.
5) Can't get too excited by the actions of one idiotic Seahawk fan. I think there was more relief in that stadium than belief.
6) I have concerns about our WR core but only in the sense that we need to add a serious deep threat. Crabs and boldin are not fast enoguh to blow by someone, Patton looks quick and smooth in his routes but not a deep burner. We have to address this in the draft.
7) Secondary, I agree with ou and I think we need to rebuild with younger, taller and faster guys similar to Seattle's secondary. Easier said than done mind you, but I've seen too many mental lapses from Rogers and Whitner over the last couple of years to trust them fully and I think their contracts are ultimately what will force them out.
8) Have to agree, Iupati