LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marvin I always read your write ups. I hope you're not giving this coaching staff particularly on offense a free pass.

I wouldn't call it a free pass, but I think people on this site greatly overstate the problems involving the coaching staff. People forget what we had before. This coaching staff has had us in 3 consecutive championship games and very easily could have been 3 Super Bowls.
Kaep choked, face it. It's his job to get balls to his receivers and not turn it over. Of course he was running well, because he couldn't figure out how to complete a pass. He shouldn't have to run the ball so much. I'm not saying we're going to replace him, as we know good QB's are hard to come by, but the bottom line is he going to have to get smarter between the ears to win the big one. I think he can still be a great one, he needs more time though.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marvin I always read your write ups. I hope you're not giving this coaching staff particularly on offense a free pass.

Im rewatching the game right now and this is pretty much what I think. Jim harbaughs offensive mind is overated. he has to approve this s**t. our f**king running game is not dynamic. for the most part everyone knows where the damn ball is going. f**k!

Again. 12-4. Won 2 road wins in the playoffs, twice as many as Montana and Young combined.

Come on. Perspective.
Kaep's biggest asset can also be his Achilles heel. He can make plays with his legs (the 50+ yard run) and passing (the 3rd quarter td to boldin) that nobody else can because he takes a lot of risks out there. For instance, that TD to Boldin could just as easily have been an interception but because he made the throw on the money it worked. That same bravado that allows him to make the spectacular plays is also what can kill him. Simply put, he plays sometimes with too much confidence. Kaepernick will likely tell you he'll make that throw to Crabtree a 1000 times in 1 on 1 coverage because he believes he can make that throw. Perhaps with time he'll improve on the WHEN to make that throw.

We aren't going to win in Seattle doing the same things, it's insanity. Running our power offense against their power defense with a loaded box hasn't worked with regularity in Seattle so why keep jamming a round peg in a square hole? I won't prescribe a solution because I am unqualified to do so, but I know when I see something that is consistently failing.

My biggest concerns moving forward are re-signing the right guys and getting more from our drafts. If we're being honest the last two drafts has yielded Eric Reid and, even for a good team like the 49ers, that's pathetic.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Kaep choked, face it. It's his job to get balls to his receivers and not turn it over. Of course he was running well, because he couldn't figure out how to complete a pass. He shouldn't have to run the ball so much. I'm not saying we're going to replace him, as we know good QB's are hard to come by, but the bottom line is he going to have to get smarter between the ears to win the big one. I think he can still be a great one, he needs more time though.

I really don't think not doing something never done in NFL history against the #1 ranked defense in the NFL and possibly one of the best secondaries ever assembled a "choke". If that throw at the end is against just about anyone BUT Richard Sherman we are probably looking at a game in NY in 2 weeks. The other guys get paid to. You make a play. Sometimes the other guy makes a better one.

That's my opinion anyway.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I really don't think not doing something never done in NFL history against the #1 ranked defense in the NFL and possibly one of the best secondaries ever assembled a "choke". If that throw at the end is against just about anyone BUT Richard Sherman we are probably looking at a game in NY in 2 weeks. The other guys get paid to. You make a play. Sometimes the other guy makes a better one.

He choked. There was a linebacker underneath and the best corner in the league on Crabtree's hip. 50 seconds on the clock with two timeouts left, he forced a low percentage completion. There were many options, he chose the wrong one, that's a choke.
I still can't get over it! It's hurt 1000 times more when your get this close to the SB and loose. 3 years in a row. Hurts, hurts, hurts :(
Originally posted by Empire49:
What I find Ironic is that when Alex Smith was the reason other players didn't do anything, it was the other players' fault for not helping Alex. Now that it's Kap, it's all Kap's fault that nobody else did anything.

Ridiculous.

Bro if you miss Alex that much, the chiefs fan base needs help
He choked. There was a linebacker underneath and the best corner in the league on Crabtree's hip. 50 seconds on the clock with two timeouts left, he forced a low percentage completion. There were many options, he chose the wrong one, that's a choke.

Choke?

It's was a good throw, Sherman just made a better play. And there was not 50 seconds left, clock was under 30 and I honestly feel Kap felt like his had to rush it.
[ Edited by mutant-man49 on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM ]
Marvin, your calm, measured analysis of the game each week has enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation for this season. Thank you!

I loved this team, the way they overcame early adversity and improved as they went along. Their clutch wins at the end of the regular season and on the road in the playoffs were stirring and courageous. The game in Seattle could have gone either way. If you look at the stats, the teams both gained exactly the same number of yards, and what stands out is 3 turnovers to one, all of them in the last quarter. Despite everything, we could easily have won. We can go there next year and win too.

I feel very badly about Navarro. What a play he made! And the refs didn't even see it. I was proud of our team right to the end. In contrast to Richard Sherman mouthing off, we have Patrick with great dignity saying that they did their best, and had no regrets.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

this.
If the Niners saw how effective Robinson was the week before against the Hawks, why didn't they use Hunter who looks pretty damn effective when they give him a chance? Gore is great but he's just to slow for this type of game.
I was at the game and there was absolutely NO SHORTAGE of idiot Seahawks fans in or around the stadium after the game.

Did Jeff Garcia choke in the NFC Championship game against Tampa Bay? No. Good for him. But why didn't he choke, because we were getting MASSACRED in the game and he never had an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Drew Brees choke against Seattle the week before? No. Good for him. But why not? Because his offense didn't score s**t for 3/4ths of the game, so he didn't have an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Alex Smith choke against the New York Giants at HOME in the NFC championship game? No. Good for him. But why not? Because the offense did NOTHING for 6 consecutive possessions at the end and got nowhere near sniffing an opportunity to score, therefore he also did not have the OPPORTUNITY to choke.

When your quarterback is good, and always gives his team a chance to win, he will either win it (Green Bay, Carolina, Atlanta) or lose it in the end (Seattle, Baltimore). I LOVE the fact that we have a quarterback who actually gives himself a chance to either win a game, or "choke" a game at the end.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Niners were in the PERFECT position to win, in the red zone, with 2 time outs and 1 minute left. They should have lined up wide, and let Kap run it twice. He was breaking through without problem. No idea why he wasn't doing that all game. With those legs, all he needed was 4 steps.

They shut that down in the second half with a fifth player up to spy Kap, sometimes a sixth. The best plan was to pass the ball

Yeah they backed their corner backs on our WRs, switched to more zone and played to contain Kap.
Share 49ersWebzone