There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by socalniner:
Despite everything that happened we had a chance to win in the end. This is on kap and he admitted as much.

This is true. But just because it's on Kap doesn't negate how well he played all game in general
Thanks for the season Marvin, I'm looking at the positives. We went into the most hostile environment in the NFL and made it to the final play. It's easy to blame Kap for the loss, but he put the team on his back and almost pulled it off. I'm sure Wilson could not do the same under the conditions. The team is all heart, Bo will be back with more determination if that's even possible.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Kap was the only one doing anything? Okay. I'll play... WRs and TEs can't catch if the ball isn't thrown...and the HBs can't run if the defense has 8-9 in the box daring Kap to throw.

This defense had Kap pegged. The only thing that was working early was Kap running and later in the game Kap was forcing throws..which look magnificent when they go your way..and result in picks when they don't.

Not saying that everyone on offense didn't contribute to this loss...but let's be fair here..kap wasn't the only one doing anything...and what is more, he was a part of the reason everyone else was limited to what they could do.

I thought a lot of kaps throws were dangerous. The touchdown to boldin should not have been thrown. The second pass to Boldin on the line after the interception should not have been thrown. Both ints should not have been thrown. I think that if you look at the replays you can see a lot of dangerous decision making. You can only trust your arm so much. Kap had a very mediocre throwing year this year in my opinion -- apart from the read/progression issues that have been discussed endlessly. I just think he did not deliver the ball accurately often enough. I postulate that he was injured early on and the staff kept it quiet. Or hoping...
Originally posted by 9moon:
Seahawks is the better team this year and showed it.. It hurts so bad cause I thought we had a chance to win the game..

Kap needs to stop that BS of his regarding throwing to Crabb everytime he's in a one n one situation.. I hope he's learned from this 2nd mistake of his.. His audible cost us the Super Bowl on a fade to Crabb, and his personal anger (tryin to humiliate Sherman) cost us this game again.

What he needs to do is learn to feel pressure and learn how to throw the ball quicker.

I also wanna know who made the freakin call?? I've watched the replay over and over, and it made me wonder how a LB (who made the INT) got deep on that play.. I came to realization that we did not send anyone for him to cover at all.. we had 2 TOs and with 22 seconds left, can someone explain to me why we wouldnt try to get closer the 10 and make Kap a threat to their D???

Pretty much every QB is gonna go to there #1 in a man to man coverage...even against the top corner. Great throws often beats great coverage but in this case, it wasn't the greatest throw. Next...he had to audible in the Super Bowl. They were in coverage 0 and blitzing everyone. Also Gore missed his block and Kap barely had a second to throw the ball.

As Marvin said, dude is learning and growing.

I haven't seen many poeple say it but I'm with you on not taking a timeout there, especially with two left. The coaching staff has to get better with clock management.
Does anyone have a shot of the last play because Vernon came off the field really pissed like he might have been very open. I am not sure why they tried a fade on Sherman when they had time and timeouts and were near the 17 yard line no real need to rush it and try and get it all at once.
What irks me the most is while Kap was a huge reason why we were even in the game, he did the same exact thing he did last year in the superbowl that cost us yet another loss. He is supposed to be learning from his mistakes and not repeat them year after year when the important games are on the line. Hopefully he will recognize and realize his stubbornness to force balls to Crabtree when the game is on the line isn't how you get a championship after his performance Sunday. Also, I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for saying this, but gore didn't do much in the playoffs. It's obvious his body was wearing down by the end of the season and I think its time to pass the torch to somebody else. Keep him (he deserves a ring) if we can keep boldin as well but he should no longer be the workhorse, we need to start giving someone else more significant carries not only to help them develop more, but because I honestly think if they touch the ball more or as much as gore, we will see better production. That said, I am fully expecting the hailstorm of "you're crazy!" and "hell no!" among other things coming my way for bringing that up.
Unfortunately, this is your last write up of the year. I look forward to reading your reviews after each game. They kind of put an end cap on each week and have become part of football sunday. Thanks for all your hard work
[ Edited by AZ9erfan520 on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM ]
Thanks for doing this all year, I really like your candid takes!
hey are we not forgetting this is kaep full year as a starter , how about putting the blame on the real dick head who screwed us up baalke , in the draft how many top notch receivers did we pass on with speed if you look at seachicks losses they lost to team who had speed , secondly reaching for a tight end in the second, and then releasing cooper , instead of rogers,dont get me wrong baalke is good but when we lost in the nfc championship game in 11 why because we had no speed opposite of crabtree then the superbowl , and once again we need to get speed on the offense
Originally posted by 9moon:
Seahawks is the better team this year and showed it.. It hurts so bad cause I thought we had a chance to win the game..

Kap needs to stop that BS of his regarding throwing to Crabb everytime he's in a one n one situation.. I hope he's learned from this 2nd mistake of his.. His audible cost us the Super Bowl on a fade to Crabb, and his personal anger (tryin to humiliate Sherman) cost us this game again.

What he needs to do is learn to feel pressure and learn how to throw the ball quicker.

I also wanna know who made the freakin call?? I've watched the replay over and over, and it made me wonder how a LB (who made the INT) got deep on that play.. I came to realization that we did not send anyone for him to cover at all.. we had 2 TOs and with 22 seconds left, can someone explain to me why we wouldnt try to get closer the 10 and make Kap a threat to their D???

That is on the Head Coach trying to be cute and the OC needs to go period. GoRo is to herky jerky with the play calling,that fade was the same freaking play call as the Super Bowl last year.
We have six picks in three rounds?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We have six picks in three rounds?

1 1st rounder, 2 2nd rounders (one for Alex Smith), and 3 3rd rounders (one for trading down in round 2 last year and another is a likely pick in compensation for Dashon Goldson).

So, yes. 6 picks in first 3 rounds.
Good post, Marv. It's a shame that it's the last one this season. But once again, you add a calming, rational perspective to what has been a very difficult loss. Thanks.

I too share your concern with our championship window. I think we'll be in the hunt for a while, but I can't help but feel our odds to win a SB will never be higher than they have been the past 3 seasons. We can't keep this depth forever. We were very fortunate to have a QB and star pass rusher playing at a discounted rate. The salary cap will become a big factor in the near future when we extend those two.

Frank and Justin aging is a shame. I feel like their window is certainly closing, but replacing them is possible. They're both Niner legends, and will be difficult to replace. Not just in terms of ability, but their smarts, leadership, and clutch play. We just have to trust management to draft well and find the right heir apparents.
Marvin I always read your write ups. I hope you're not giving this coaching staff particularly on offense a free pass.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marvin I always read your write ups. I hope you're not giving this coaching staff particularly on offense a free pass.

Im rewatching the game right now and this is pretty much what I think. Jim harbaughs offensive mind is overated. he has to approve this s**t. our f**king running game is not dynamic. for the most part everyone knows where the damn ball is going. f**k!