There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

We just played the 1 D in every statistical catagory in their house and Kap led us all the down the field to almost win the game. Not on him. We needed to be able to establish a threatening running game out of the box and failed forcing it to be on Kap's legs. More or less one demention against a group of talented roided up guys is not going to work.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Kap was the only one doing anything? Okay. I'll play... WRs and TEs can't catch if the ball isn't thrown...and the HBs can't run if the defense has 8-9 in the box daring Kap to throw.

This defense had Kap pegged. The only thing that was working early was Kap running and later in the game Kap was forcing throws..which look magnificent when they go your way..and result in picks when they don't.

Not saying that everyone on offense didn't contribute to this loss...but let's be fair here..kap wasn't the only one doing anything...and what is more, he was a part of the reason everyone else was limited to what they could do.

...and Kap can't throw the ball and catch it too when its dropped by Boldin.

The defense get paid too and the Seahawks are the NFLs best pass defense for a reason.

The funny part is a few years ago you both were on the same side of this argument...I guess you are also a "flip flopper" marvin...lol

? I was one of Smiths biggest supporters on this site. Not sure what you mean.

You guys supported smith together and are facing off against each other now. That's all.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Despite everything that happened we had a chance to win in the end. This is on kap and he admitted as much.

and that is where it should end, be happy for what we did, the guys need a good long break, lot of decisions that have to be made. there is nothing broken with this team or its system that has to be fixed. ck and the team will learn and be all the better for it and more hungry. the bowman injury cast a shadow , the guys feel bad as it is for losing the game and i am , for one, not piling on. they do not deserve that. they know what went wrong, the coaches know what went wrong and after some rest, it will be addressed
U can't just say a guy like Kap is just going to be shut down like that. Come on. Had them on their heels and then get cute AGAIN.
Despite everything that happened we had a chance to win in the end. This is on kap and he admitted as much.

Well...to be fair he ALWAYS says its his fault. It's a team game.

Here's the thing tho...it doesn't always have to be someones "fault". I don't buy into that logic. They are ina better position to win if he doesn't fumble or throw the first INT. They are ina worse position of he doesn't run for 100+ yards in the game. They aren't in any position to win if he doesn't make that throw to Boldin.

Without Kaps play you can easily say they aren't even in a position to win at the end. Sherman did what Sherman does...he makes a great play on the ball. This game was a battle. They battled. They had a chance. It didn't happen. The fact That Kap is now 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road in the playoffs shouldn't be lost on you guys. You shlould see how Seahawks fans on .net are talking about Kap. While some of you guys are digging his grave, they were impressed as hell.

Still, the fact that he takes it personally makes me happy.
Originally posted by socal1632:
U can't just say a guy like Kap is just going to be shut down like that. Come on. Had them on their heels and then get cute AGAIN.

I just find it funny that some peeps are ready to throw him out because he didn't accomplish what no QB has ever accomplished in the history of the NFL. Unfair standard.
Great read as usual Marvin. My only slight disagrement would be about our window closing. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. As long as we can maintain the core of our team; Kap, Davis, Crab, Boldin, Bowman, Willis, Smith then we will be good. You also have to consider that we basically have several players "red shirted" either due to injury or lack of playing time; Cully, Moody, Tank, Dial, Latti and players we can give increased workloads LMJ, Patton, McD. I said it since pre-season when Cully and Crab went down that this year was basically a write off and that if we win the Super Bowl it actually give us a stronger chance to win 2-3 in a row or over the course of 5-6 years. IMO the year for us will be next year and the year after when the talent pool in the NFC and AFC drop off. Brees, Brady, and Manning aren't getting any younger. I think the Panthers and Saints will take a step back due to the reimgerance of the Falcons but they don't have a good enough defense to beat us. Seattle will take a step back due to cap issues, pride and ego.

At the end of they day I think we fought so hard this season. We overcame inuries, more BS calls than any team in the league, Aldon's off the field issues, injuries to Willis, Crabs, Cully etc. People say no team has ever gone to four NFC Championships in a row... well no coach has ever lead his team to three straight NFC Championships in a row and JH did. Hell we were either a bs call in NO or several call in the NFC championship to heading to NY/NJ. Myself or any other 49ers fan would be a fool to be upset with the outcome of this season.

Well...to be fair he ALWAYS says its his fault. It's a team game.

Here's the thing tho...it doesn't always have to be someones "fault". I don't buy into that logic. They are ina better position to win if he doesn't fumble or throw the first INT. They are ina worse position of he doesn't run for 100+ yards in the game. They aren't in any position to win if he doesn't make that throw to Boldin.

Without Kaps play you can easily say they aren't even in a position to win at the end. Sherman did what Sherman does...he makes a great play on the ball. This game was a battle. They battled. They had a chance. It didn't happen. The fact That Kap is now 4-2 in the playoffs and 3-1 on the road in the playoffs shouldn't be lost on you guys. You shlould see how Seahawks fans on .net are talking about Kap. While some of you guys are digging his grave, they were impressed as hell.

Still, the fact that he takes it personally makes me happy.

ultimately we cant crucify the guy, he had on the edge of winning the nfc title game in a place where the score the previous 2 times was 71-16. if you would have told me before the game we'd be down a score and have the ball with under a minute left in the redzone going for the win, i would have taken that scenario all day given what we have been through recently up there. we didnt get the break, and it feels like how the super bowl ended so i understand people being frustrated, but to just be there in that spot is damn impressive.
I think the biggest take away is that Kap now has the confidence to go into Seattle and win. 12th man is just an urban legend.
Seahawks is the better team this year and showed it.. It hurts so bad cause I thought we had a chance to win the game..

Kap needs to stop that BS of his regarding throwing to Crabb everytime he's in a one n one situation.. I hope he's learned from this 2nd mistake of his.. His audible cost us the Super Bowl on a fade to Crabb, and his personal anger (tryin to humiliate Sherman) cost us this game again.

What he needs to do is learn to feel pressure and learn how to throw the ball quicker.

I also wanna know who made the freakin call?? I've watched the replay over and over, and it made me wonder how a LB (who made the INT) got deep on that play.. I came to realization that we did not send anyone for him to cover at all.. we had 2 TOs and with 22 seconds left, can someone explain to me why we wouldnt try to get closer the 10 and make Kap a threat to their D???
The entire team and coaching staff had a hand in this loss. You can point to each player and coach and find error.

There were opportunities to take control of the game early but I believe what set the tone was not going for the TD when Wilson fumbled along with Whitner allowing the 50 yarder because he got caught peeking.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think the biggest take away is that Kap now has the confidence to go into Seattle and win. 12th man is just an urban legend.

No its real. We just proved its not invincible.
10-0 i thought we had em. The plays that killed us on Defense were all stupid mistakes. Whitner just brain farting and not sticking with Baldwin when theres 10 other guys to get Russel if he scrambles, but you dont let them hit a bomb into FG range. Then as GREAt as Aldon has played, he jumped offsides more than once but its probably the only reason Wilson took the shot he did to the end zone. Also Aldon did not rush the passer once he saw the flag which is a problem for him, so Russel did not have to even rush his throw to Kearse.

When we had the lead i wanted our dominant D to help us keep it. When Kap fired that lazer to Boldin to go back up 7, i thought great, we can hopefully add at least 3 more points and hold them to 3 or 6 more.

After we lost Bowman i knew even if we won the game, Peyton might be able to exploit us much more.

All in all though, Kaps stupid two INT's really put the stamp on this game, he threw the ball right to Chancellor and then with two timeouts went to a pre snap read trying to be the hero with downs, clock, and time outs. Im sorry i love him for helping us get there with this great team, but man i want him to be championship caliber. We could have taken up two more checkdowns in chunks with time outs and ran one in. SO many what ifs. But i hate the 50/50 ball to crabs there against a taller Sherman. It wasn't a Horrible pass, its just Sherman is so long and plays those balls the best.

I hope he learns from this. And i hope i never see Aldon give up on a play where he got drawn offsides, false starts are dead balls, offsides are free plays, you go attack RUssel Wilson there and rush his throw or bury him and live to play 4th and 2 against Lynch
[ Edited by jcashen87 on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM ]
Marvin...

once again I agree with your perspective.

1. Kap is young and he is not going to be perfect. The road to the Superbowl was tough for us this year. The regular season was loaded with good teams and we had many injuries. We weathered that storm and then we made the playoffs and had to travel to GB, then Carolina, and then at Seattle. It was just a tough draw IMO. Kap at the end didn't play great but even my buddies at work today that live in San Diego had nothing but high praise for Kap and how he played in Seattle.

2. Bowman getting hurt just seemed like it made the game not matter to me. I still wanted us to win but honestly all I could think about was getting an update on how Bowman was doing. I can't help but think that his team-mates felt the same and then some.

3. Refs did suck. I heard Mike Pierra today on the radio say that the refs really botched that game. The Whitner hit, the Carlos Rogers shove, the Bowman fumble recovery and he said the worst mistake of all was the roughing the punter miss call. However with all that being said, I agree with you, I don't want to stew on this like last years loss either. It's a sucky feeling and it won't change anything. Honestly, every year there is only going to be one winner and 31 losers. It's hard to win it all. I'm proud of the team and I know the way they are built, Harbaugh will have them competing each and every year.

4. Sherman: I don't get how people or Seahawks fans embrace him. When VD was young and childish on our team and hated it. His personal fouls were costing the team. Luckily he grew up. Aldon's off field issues I don't care for at all. The drinking and partying isn't worth other people's lives being in danger, etc... Hopefully Aldon continues to stay on the right track and makes good choices, etc... With Sherman, the guy is just detestable and even if he was on the Niners, I couldn't root for him. He talks a ton of crap after he makes the big play or after they win a game. For this Superbowl coming up, he isn't going to say anything about Peyton or their wr's before the game. After the game, if they win he will run his mouth. I wish he would just own up to who is is though. If he wants to play the villian card or the thug card or whatever, then just embrace it and be that guy. I remember the Harbaugh thing you referenced and yeah, he didn't even give Harbaugh a chance to say anything and then he runs and tells the media Harbaugh has no class .

With what he did yesterday at the end of the game, instead of celebrating with your team that you are going to the SB, the first thing on his mind is to go rub it in to Crabtree. He tries to say he went to congratulate him. Then he changed his story to Crabtree was talking crap. Then gave the choke sign to the 49ers sidelines (who were underdogs by the way), then he said he was doing that at Kaepernick. Now today his story has gone to Crabtree started a fight wih him in Arizona and now he has since apologized. He just needs to own. No one is buying his antics. If he wants to be the trash talking villian type, then embrace it. Don't try and justify your poor behavior on the field with how much charity work you do off of it.

5. Last thing and I don't know if this is a disagreement or not... The Seattle fan base. I'm sure there are many respectful Seattle fans and even some that come here to the zone but right now they just seem detestable as well. They seem to be ranking up there with Red Sox fans or Philly fans. Throwing popcorn at Bow, and I saw water or beer being thrown at Kaepernick. From "Pete the Cheat" to the most PED usage in the NFL... to the way Sherman acts and the fanbase loving him for it... It seems like it all flows from good old Pete. Look I get it that they have the loudest stadium but never have I seen a professional team give so much credit to the fans for winning games. They say that they cause an earthquake just about every other game. When the set the record for the loudest stadium earlier in the year, the Chiefs broke it the very next week. I'm pretty sure that if the chiefs set up the same earthquake type of equipment, they would have done the same thing, and it would be the same in Philly or Washington, etc... Because it's a fricken stadium with tons of fans cheering and stomping. With Seattle fans though, they just come off as whinny. San Diego has never won a championship but their fans don't talk mad crap like their the best thing ever. Seattle hasn't ever won jack, but the way they talk about it constantly. "Loudest Stadium", "best team in the NFL", "best defense", "best secondary", "best fans" "The 12th man" "we cause earthquakes".

Anyways, that my rant. Thanks again Marvin for the whole season.
Originally posted by sacniner:
We live and die with Kap. And both happened yesterday. He made some great plays and was better than Wilson. Also made some costly mistakes. Lets pray that he can improve the mental aspect of the game and improve from the pocket. If that happens, he will be the best QB in the NFL.

Nailed it! As much as it is easy to forget, you have to take into consideration both the positive and negative plays Kap made. All we can do as fans is hope he gets smarter and makes better decisions.