There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by BKpower:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Boldin had a TD

To me, it only looked that way because the defender in the endzone inside of Boldin started moving towards the other side after Kaep released the ball. Otherwise, he has responsibility for Boldin if he breaks inward. Boldin wasn't quite open but there may have been something there if he was the first read.

I'm choosing to agree with this because it makes sleeping at night easier.

I agree as well. We can't know if Boldin would have been open. Now if Kap had taken 3 steps to the left he'd have his answer and an opportunity to check down to VD or Patton
Safest throw is to Patton. Live to play another down.

Hasnt been mentioned much but we did ourselves a disservice in the overall route structure of the play. There was nobody for the LB Smith to be concerned with in his zone so he ran towards Crabtree. A receiver to occupy him at least means the pass falls incomplete.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
A throw to Patton would have not gotten more than 5 yards, if it was completed and he moved forward instead of going out of bounds. The defensive player was already handing off Davis and was starting to run directly towards Patton before the ball was thrown. If Kaep had thrown in that direction the defender would have gotten there about the same time as the ball.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rdc1:
A throw to Patton would have not gotten more than 5 yards, if it was completed and he moved forward instead of going out of bounds. The defensive player was already handing off Davis and was starting to run directly towards Patton before the ball was thrown. If Kaep had thrown in that direction the defender would have gotten there about the same time as the ball.

And it would have been 2nd and 9 at worse instead of game over
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Hasnt been mentioned much but we did ourselves a disservice in the overall route structure of the play. There was nobody for the LB Smith to be concerned with in his zone so he ran towards Crabtree. A receiver to occupy him at least means the pass falls incomplete.

He left Hunter open. Hunter could have got 5 to 10 yards if given the chance to make a play on a check down.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by rdc1:

And it would have been 2nd and 9 at worse instead of game over

How much success has the 49ers had scoring TD's against the SeaHawks or for that matter anyone inside the 20. They have done better from 20-30 than from 5-20. He had a shot that he thought would be successful and he took it. Unfortunately it came up about 6 inches short. Just as the earlier TD to Boldin would have failed if it was 1 inch lower.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Kali49er:
What irks me the most is while Kap was a huge reason why we were even in the game, he did the same exact thing he did last year in the superbowl that cost us yet another loss. He is supposed to be learning from his mistakes and not repeat them year after year when the important games are on the line. Hopefully he will recognize and realize his stubbornness to force balls to Crabtree when the game is on the line isn't how you get a championship after his performance Sunday. Also, I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for saying this, but gore didn't do much in the playoffs. It's obvious his body was wearing down by the end of the season and I think its time to pass the torch to somebody else. Keep him (he deserves a ring) if we can keep boldin as well but he should no longer be the workhorse, we need to start giving someone else more significant carries not only to help them develop more, but because I honestly think if they touch the ball more or as much as gore, we will see better production. That said, I am fully expecting the hailstorm of "you're crazy!" and "hell no!" among other things coming my way for bringing that up.

Your whole assessment of Kap on that last throw fails.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

You guys talk like a QB can look at all players o the field simultaneously. It doesn't matter that Patton was open because he was very likely the 4th option on the route.

I don't know how many times I can explain this.

Pre-snap Kap knew it was one on one with Crab with NO SAFETY HELP. He knew that was the ball he was going to throw and even Harbaugh said today that Kap made the correct call. The idea of the play is that Crab makes a doubel move. Kap throws the ball just as Crab is making the move.

The idea of the play is that it's a shot at the endzone because they had a favorable look. If the ball isn't caught for a TD an INT is unlikely because there is so little space left in the endzone.

Sherman made a great play. It's as simple as that. If that is just about any other corner we are getting ready for the SB in New York and talking about how the injuries to Bowman, Iupati, Gore, and Staley would change the game.

Sometimes good players make really good plays. I hate the guy too, but it was an outstanding defensive play that he made. Give the guy some credit.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]

This isn't Madden. Kaepernick can't see the entire field at one time. He had Crabtree one-on-one with Sherman without safety help over the top. He made the correct read and made the throw.

You can't look at a bird's-eye view of the field and claim that Kaepernick missed a wide-open Patton. That's not how progressions work.
Originally posted by theduke85:

This isn't Madden. Kaepernick can't see the entire field at one time. He had Crabtree one-on-one with Sherman without safety help over the top. He made the correct read and made the throw.

You can't look at a bird's-eye view of the field and claim that Kaepernick missed a wide-open Patton. That's not how progressions work.

This.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

You guys talk like a QB can look at all players o the field simultaneously. It doesn't matter that Patton was open because he was very likely the 4th option on the route.

Pre-snap Kap knew it was one on one with Crab with NO SAFETY HELP. He knew that was the ball he was going to throw and even Harbaugh said today that Kap made the correct call. The idea of the play is that Crab makes a doubel move. Kap throws the ball just as Crab is making the move.

The idea of the play is that it's a shot at the endzone because they had a favorable look. If the ball isn't caught for a TD an INT is unlikely because there is so little space left in the endzone.

Sherman made a great play. It's as simple as that. If that is just about any other corner we are getting ready for the SB in New York and talking about how the injuries to Bowman, Iupati, Gore, and Staley would change the game.

Sometimes good players make really good plays. I hate the guy too, but it was an outstanding defensive play that he made. Give the guy some credit.

Again, you're talking about a pre-snap read. You still have to make another read before you launch it. Crabs was well covered and wasn't beating his guy. It warrented at least a look to the other side of the field...or up closer for a dump off..or even to take off for 5 yards if nothing else.

You say he was supposed to throw that no matter what because of the pre-snap, then you are suggesting that he throw it even if Crabs slipped? Of course not.

Originally posted by Furlow:

All of this "pre-snap read" BS is getting annoying. Just because you read something pre-snap, doesn't mean it can't change once the ball is snapped. If Crabtree didn't get off the press, would Kaep have thrown it anyway? What if he fell down at the line of scrimmage?He didn't have a long time to make up his mind, but he didn't HAVE TO throw it to Crabtree.I'm far more concerned though, that Harbaugh didn't call a timeout and let everyone calm down. Or that Crabtree didn't go out of bounds so that we could huddle up and call a better play.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

Well fix it for next time, we wanna win!

no seriously, i didn't really wanna hear the truth. my comment is more of a WANT than a complaint.
[ Edited by 76Razor on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM ]
i'll take kap over wilson any day
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
i'll take kap over wilson any day

I have said this since Day One: RUSSELL WILSON IS A JEFF BLAKE CLONE WITH BETTER SCRAMBLING ABILITY