There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The common theme in the last 3 season-ending losses.....

Originally posted by SFGem:
I haven't posted anything on here since the loss yesterday. But I've noticed our secondary has been getting burned in the playoffs since I don't know how long. I was worried about our secondary before this game. Not saying that the secondary was the only reason we lost. But once again the secondary gets burned in another big game. Overall our defense played great but the secondary got burned again. Our secondary has been our weak link for years and needs to be addressed in my opinion.

in a passing league you're going to give up a few plays. at the end of the day rodgers had 177 yards, wilson had just over 200 and i forget what newton did but it wasnt a huge game for him either if you take away ginn's 60 yard catch on the 2nd to last play of the game. last year ryan had almost 400 flacco did well and rodgers did much better than he did this playoffs.
Can't get over that hump. We can only do enough to get there.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I was wondering, even on punts, why the hell we just don't kick it out the back of the EZ and make them go 80 yards. TWICE they burned us. Why is this coaching staff so blind/stubborn at times?

Which member of the coaching staff didn't kick it out of the back of the end zone?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,375
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
all that could be solved by signing a kicker with a monster leg who could kick the ball out the end zone every time.

I was wondering, even on punts, why the hell we just don't kick it out the back of the EZ and make them go 80 yards. TWICE they burned us. Why is this coaching staff so blind/stubborn at times?
I have wondered that often. It has an eerie echo of "imposing our will on them" tone.
I think it's time to get Lee to either take a paycut or cut him. He's the highest paid punter in the league, but I don't think he's been anything more than good this year.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I think it's time to get Lee to either take a paycut or cut him. He's the highest paid punter in the league, but I don't think he's been anything more than good this year.

Only in the WZ.

The dude may or may not be the highest paid punter in the NFL (I'll take your word for it) but he's hardly negatively affecting the salary cap. We paid more money to Nnamdi, AJ Jenkins, CJ Spillman, Craig Dahl, and a few other guys this did either nothing or very little this year.

And I have no idea what you are talking about when you say he's not "been anything more than good this year" (as if that is not enough). He played very good this season and the 49ers punt team lead the NFL in forcing fair catches (I realize that is not him alone) and he only had four touchbacks all season.
Our secondary is clearly a weak link. Rogers has to go. So does Whitner. I don't know why they gave a new contract or extension to Brock. In my opinion they are all weak. We give the other team too much of a cushion. Big plays killed them. What also kills this team is settling for FGs. How many times did they start off a series with a handoff to Gore? It seemed like about twenty. I know it wasn't. It never worked and they kept calling it. Granted the refs made some egregious errors. Sometimes I wonder if they are even watching the game. It was just such a disheartening loss. Also the injuries to Bowman and Iupati just compounded it. I wnated them to shut Seadderalls' fan up so badly, but it didn't happen.
on that return by baldwin, one of the 49ers were held.....
Originally posted by HALCIONDAZE:
Our secondary is clearly a weak link. Rogers has to go. So does Whitner. I don't know why they gave a new contract or extension to Brock. In my opinion they are all weak. We give the other team too much of a cushion. Big plays killed them. What also kills this team is settling for FGs. How many times did they start off a series with a handoff to Gore? It seemed like about twenty. I know it wasn't. It never worked and they kept calling it. Granted the refs made some egregious errors. Sometimes I wonder if they are even watching the game. It was just such a disheartening loss. Also the injuries to Bowman and Iupati just compounded it. I wnated them to shut Seadderalls' fan up so badly, but it didn't happen.

There wasn't even 20 series in the whole game.
Originally posted by susweel:
all that could be solved by signing a kicker with a monster leg who could kick the ball out the end zone every time.

this x 23402348023774234074074823-490823-480897523489750923489573489057358973405987349348570345893495 god f**king damn it
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
this x 23402348023774234074074823-490823-480897523489750923489573489057358973405987349348570345893495 god f**king damn it
Who has a monster leg and accuracy. We need to trade with the Raiders for Jani.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
this x 23402348023774234074074823-490823-480897523489750923489573489057358973405987349348570345893495 god f**king damn it
Who has a monster leg and accuracy. We need to trade with the Raiders for Jani.
Common theme is we commit costly turnovers, and all of a sudden the defense and special teams gives up the big plays. It's a real head scratcher, because those are three areas we excel at during each season, but it hasn't always translated in the playoffs.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM ]
Red Zone/thread
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Special teams.

2 years ago: 2 Kyle Williams muffed punts led to Giants scores.

1 year ago: Jacoby Jones kickoff return for a touchdown to start the second half.

This year: Doug Baldwin 69 yard kickoff return to set up a Seattle field goal.


I agree with this. I thought the game would come down to special teams. There is always one big play the other team gets against us in special teams. Our kickers always seem to kick the ball shorter in the playoffs, allowing the other team to do something on a return.