There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you deal with football heartbreak? (The Keep It Real Edition)

Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Originally posted by theduke85:
I have to make a confession. I think that winning it all is kind of overrated. And that's not sour grapes talking -- I truly believe that. I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and a 49ers fan. Both teams have made deep, deep runs into the playoffs the past few years. St. Louis won it all in 2011, but otherwise that's five failed attempts (STL in 2012, 2013; SF in 2011, 2012, 2013).

Getting deep into the playoffs is a real treat. We watch sports to be entertained. To get to watch your team for extras games in a playoff atmosphere is huge. St. Louis winning it all in 2011 didn't feel that much better than watching the epic Super Bowl last year, or the instant-classic from last night. Ultimately, win or lose, it doesn't really have an impact on my life. And even when you win it all, does it really make that much of a difference? I mean, a week after the victory the novelty wears off and you say to yourself, "okay, it means nothing now -- at the start of next season we start over with a clean slate and last year doesn't matter at all." Bragging rights in the offseason? Whatever. Adding another trophy to the case? Oh well.

Again, this is not sour grapes. And this is not a "loser" mentality. I know it will rub people the wrong way, but this is genuinely how I feel.

In the past, losses would've been devastating for me. After we lost the Super Bowl last year, I thought I was going to be crushed. I wasn't. I wasn't crushed when St. Louis lost the World Series last year either. I wasn't crushed when we lost last night. In all sincerity, I would take a well-run organization that is consistently competitive over the long-term than World Championships.

I can always handle losses as long as the games were competitive and entertaining. Being entertained is more important than winning.

dude, it is sour grapes
The Cardinals (my favorite baseball team) won the World Series in 2011. The lost the World Series this past year, in 2013. I can honestly said that a few days after the games ended it made no difference to me. Because almost immediately after it ended, I jumped on message boards and started talking about what was going to happen in the offseason. Look at how swarming these boards are the last few days. That's what makes sports so great -- it brings people together with similar interests, and we love to analyze and play armchair coach/GM. I probably spend 1-2 hours a day during the week talking/reading about the 49ers (7-14 hours a week), but only spend 3 hours watching a game!

Obviously I would've preferred we went all the way. But honestly -- for me at least -- it doesn't make a huge impact. Losing the championship game every year would be fine for me, it's infinitely better than the dark ages we went through from 2003 - 2010.
This game was just as painful as the Super Bowl. Possibly worse.

If you look at the replay, Boldin was wide open heading into the endzone on that last play. I felt sick when I saw it.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
xnxx>search>"seattle whores bukakke"

LMFAO!!! You must get over 100 pages of results...unfortunately, it's probably mostly men in Seahack jerseys getting it because they're a bunch of b***hes up there!
How do you deal with it?

You watch an INSTANT CLASSIC like this Kimmel Kartoon!

Originally posted by theduke85:
I have to make a confession. I think that winning it all is kind of overrated. And that's not sour grapes talking -- I truly believe that. I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and a 49ers fan. Both teams have made deep, deep runs into the playoffs the past few years. St. Louis won it all in 2011, but otherwise that's five failed attempts (STL in 2012, 2013; SF in 2011, 2012, 2013).

Getting deep into the playoffs is a real treat. We watch sports to be entertained. To get to watch your team for extras games in a playoff atmosphere is huge. St. Louis winning it all in 2011 didn't feel that much better than watching the epic Super Bowl last year, or the instant-classic from last night. Ultimately, win or lose, it doesn't really have an impact on my life. And even when you win it all, does it really make that much of a difference? I mean, a week after the victory the novelty wears off and you say to yourself, "okay, it means nothing now -- at the start of next season we start over with a clean slate and last year doesn't matter at all." Bragging rights in the offseason? Whatever. Adding another trophy to the case? Oh well.

Again, this is not sour grapes. And this is not a "loser" mentality. I know it will rub people the wrong way, but this is genuinely how I feel.

In the past, losses would've been devastating for me. After we lost the Super Bowl last year, I thought I was going to be crushed. I wasn't. I wasn't crushed when St. Louis lost the World Series last year either. I wasn't crushed when we lost last night. In all sincerity, I would take a well-run organization that is consistently competitive over the long-term than World Championships.

I can always handle losses as long as the games were competitive and entertaining. Being entertained is more important than winning.

In your description of "I mean, a week after the victory the novelty wears off and you say to yourself, "okay, it means nothing now..." I HIGHLY disagree. You can always go back to the memories of the ultimate victories, just like you can go back to the ultimate losses. You can go back to that feeling all the time, and yes, bragging rights also give you that same feeling. Also, if you replace the sport with let's say, a drug...you want the drug and after your high is done, you want some more. That's what football is for a lot of us. We want that ultimate high, but the difference is, we're not poisoning yourself...it's a good clean high!

I guess, my point here is, I think football is a healthy and positive addiction that makes a lot of us happy - there's no harm in that. And anything you care about, you don't want to settle for good enough!!! I want our guys to get all the glory because they're put in all their guts on the line! They deserve it! I wanted that win for them, more than for my entertainment...but maybe because I see beyond the players on the field. I see the hard work those guys put in and I am crushed that after all that hard work, we lost...and the added insult to injury (literally) is we lost to to a bunch of cheating, classless A$$HOLES!!!

Sorry for the rant...I guess I haven't found a way to deal with the loss myself either...my eyes are still swollen from bawling like a baby when Bowman went down on Sunday. His injury hurt a lot more than the loss, and this loss broke my heart! I feel like I'm in mourning for Bowman...what an amazing player and an all around awesome guy!
Originally posted by cciowa:
one of my co workers brought in home made chocolate chip cookies which helps and when i want to smile about last night i just think about our big fat center picking up the ball and running with it

Hey...thanks for reminding me about that! That just put a smile on my face...lol!
Eat chocolate.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I just spend time with my family and refuse to watch or listen to anything sports related, at least for a while. And I hope that Manning destroys those punks from Seattle.

x2
First post ever but long time lurking in the shadows. I really am broke up about this loss. Sometimes I think I invest too much into how the 49ers do especially after getting so close the last 3 seasons. From Kyle Williams literally fumbling a Lombardi trophy to the following seasons coming down to one drive to win it. I ain't gonna front, this loss sent me into a slight weight depression. As soon as we got the last 1st down I saw there was roughly 50 seconds on the clock and I was sure Harbs would call a timeout and regroup but we all saw what transpired in result. I'll get over it in about a week and pretty soon and am proud of the season they had but eventually you want to see them get #6. "So close" and "Maybe next" year is getting old for me though.
This loss hurts just as much as last seasons. Mostly because Kap had open receivers on the last pass but ignored them so he could throw to Crabtree (just like he did at the end against the Ravens).
The worst part is that we never know how soon we will have another shot at the NFC Championship. It might be next yr or it could take 15 yrs. Plus we don't know yet which of our Vets won't be around next yr. Frank Gore, Justin Smith etc. This might have been their final shot at a championship.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM ]
Still mad. Haven't watched ESPN since Sunday.

The Super Bowl might as well be The Hoola Hoop Championship.
After last season's SB loss, all I heard was that you only get one chance and the window was closing. Then, later in the off season, the prognosticators all looked at the Niners' upcoming schedule and most of them said the Niners might not even make the playoffs. Calm down everyone. Kaepernick will just get better, they'll add some receivers and a good corner in the draft, they'll get Culliver back, they'll get Carradine and Dial into the mix, Lemonier will be there as another speed rushing OLB, Lattimore might end up being the steal of the draft and the schedule next year is five times easier than this year's was. They'll be back in contention next season.
I gotta admit, tonight when I flipped through Sportscenter and they had Russell Wilson doing an interview on the podium in his practice jersey, IT JUST REALLY PISSED ME OFF!! I know I shouldn't get mad for being an adult, But it really Hurt. We have the Fukin team, and it hurts even more seeing that Seachicken team there even more.!!! We better be ALL IN for the Next 2 SBs while this Core Group of Players are in their Prime!!
What cheers me up is that by the beginning of next month, the Seahawks will be 0-2 in the Superbowl. This happens, their fanbase/bandwagon falls apart (it's fragile), cause unlike the 49ers, Seattle goes home with nothing to fall back on. No memories to make it better, no past trophies in the case, no Huey Lewis & the News.

49ers have now had 15 Championship appearances (tied with the Steelers), 6 Halas trophies, 5 Lombardi trophies, and we're also tied with the Steelers for most home playoff wins in the Superbowl era.

3 straight NFC Championship appearances, I don't even know what to be sad about anymore.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]