There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you deal with football heartbreak? (The Keep It Real Edition)

I have to make a confession. I think that winning it all is kind of overrated. And that's not sour grapes talking -- I truly believe that. I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and a 49ers fan. Both teams have made deep, deep runs into the playoffs the past few years. St. Louis won it all in 2011, but otherwise that's five failed attempts (STL in 2012, 2013; SF in 2011, 2012, 2013).

Getting deep into the playoffs is a real treat. We watch sports to be entertained. To get to watch your team for extras games in a playoff atmosphere is huge. St. Louis winning it all in 2011 didn't feel that much better than watching the epic Super Bowl last year, or the instant-classic from last night. Ultimately, win or lose, it doesn't really have an impact on my life. And even when you win it all, does it really make that much of a difference? I mean, a week after the victory the novelty wears off and you say to yourself, "okay, it means nothing now -- at the start of next season we start over with a clean slate and last year doesn't matter at all." Bragging rights in the offseason? Whatever. Adding another trophy to the case? Oh well.

Again, this is not sour grapes. And this is not a "loser" mentality. I know it will rub people the wrong way, but this is genuinely how I feel.

In the past, losses would've been devastating for me. After we lost the Super Bowl last year, I thought I was going to be crushed. I wasn't. I wasn't crushed when St. Louis lost the World Series last year either. I wasn't crushed when we lost last night. In all sincerity, I would take a well-run organization that is consistently competitive over the long-term than World Championships.

I can always handle losses as long as the games were competitive and entertaining. Being entertained is more important than winning.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we lost the game because
1 defense was not great in second half like it was in the first
2 we did not do anything with our running backs
3 ck made three awful mistakes at crunch time
3b our special teams which were great this year let us down, from lee to of course the big kickoff return
4 the bad call which gave them the ball on roughing the kicker was a part of it but we could not make plays to over come it

the first three are all correctable and ck will learn from this, the fourth is just one of those things in a game. the more you win, the more you want to win so the last loss is so final and unsettling. I will say I never thought this team would be playing sunday after a 1-2 start, injuries, aldon and roman this year so i am very proud of this team, it was amazing they did what they did. Jh deserves lots of credit for never letting the house become divided when the team was struggling early. great year, hope for bowman and mike l to recover. hope ck learns from this and you just move on and wait for the new episodes of the walking dead
I think about it for a couple of days and avoid watching football stuff until the super bowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
In mourning for Bow.... i'm more sad about his leg then losing yesterday.. Him and Pwilly are beasts and without him our D loses alot....
this times infinity, it was like the game and whether we won or lost meant nothing to me after that injury, i was just in a daze worried about him. that does not make me any less of a fan but after the injury i really could have cared less what took place after that and i am just happy and proud of what this team did after we were put in a spot where we HAD to win games. amazing in my opinion and this is the only area i will post in today because as others have mentioned in this I do not even want to look at negative posts ripping our players and whining about sunday. the two injuries we had esp bowman, were bigger than any outcome of the game in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
I think about it for a couple of days and avoid watching football stuff until the super bowl.

this times infinity sus
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
I have to make a confession. I think that winning it all is kind of overrated. And that's not sour grapes talking -- I truly believe that. I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and a 49ers fan. Both teams have made deep, deep runs into the playoffs the past few years. St. Louis won it all in 2011, but otherwise that's five failed attempts (STL in 2012, 2013; SF in 2011, 2012, 2013).

Getting deep into the playoffs is a real treat. We watch sports to be entertained. To get to watch your team for extras games in a playoff atmosphere is huge. St. Louis winning it all in 2011 didn't feel that much better than watching the epic Super Bowl last year, or the instant-classic from last night. Ultimately, win or lose, it doesn't really have an impact on my life. And even when you win it all, does it really make that much of a difference? I mean, a week after the victory the novelty wears off and you say to yourself, "okay, it means nothing now -- at the start of next season we start over with a clean slate and last year doesn't matter at all." Bragging rights in the offseason? Whatever. Adding another trophy to the case? Oh well.

Again, this is not sour grapes. And this is not a "loser" mentality. I know it will rub people the wrong way, but this is genuinely how I feel.

In the past, losses would've been devastating for me. After we lost the Super Bowl last year, I thought I was going to be crushed. I wasn't. I wasn't crushed when St. Louis lost the World Series last year either. I wasn't crushed when we lost last night. In all sincerity, I would take a well-run organization that is consistently competitive over the long-term than World Championships.

I can always handle losses as long as the games were competitive and entertaining. Being entertained is more important than winning.

It's tough. I stop reading and watching most everything sports related. I try to focus on family and work. It gets better every day, but it takes weeks to get over it. Maybe longer.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Laugh. Find anything amusing / humorous... besides sex, laughter is great for stress and sorrow.
i use to resort to drinking but i didnt last night. I guess i have alot to be thankful for and enjoy life.
I felt the need to add that even though this loss hurts, to me the injuries to Mike and Bow is what really crushed my spirits while at the game hurts more today after the game. Seeing Bow being carted off the field I felt like my heart sunk down into my stomach with what he has done this whole season to keep the Defensive unit focused and running when P. Will was down. Just praying for speedy recovery for both of our guys and that they come back stronger.

On a side note since baseball has been brought I can't wait for the Giants season to start! Keep the streak alive of winning the WS on even year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
one of my co workers brought in home made chocolate chip cookies which helps and when i want to smile about last night i just think about our big fat center picking up the ball and running with it
Its just a sport. A hobby. Its not ur life.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Its just a sport. A hobby. Its not ur life.

25 years ago i would have been kicking and screaming. esp after bowmans injury i found myself no longer really caring about if we won or lost
Yeah. Its tough. Mainly because this is one of my favorite Niner teams over the past 20 years. But next year will be our year!
I'm a little depressed today, but what hurt the most was telling my little 3 year old girl that she wouldn't get to see Colin play in the Super Bowl. She really likes him and is becoming quite the 49ers fan. She likes Sundays because of football and because it makes her daddy happy. She came up to me later last night and told me she was sorry that I was sad.

For me, I need to get back into coaching. Its a game I deeply love and am addicted to and its a game I know very well. (On the play where hunter looked to pass back to Kap...I saw that coming by watching film a week or two ago and knew it was gonna probably be there at some point.) I just want to do it again. No, its not playing again but its the second best thing.

In the end I look back over the last three seasons and think about all of the good after so many years of bad and mediocrity. We have a new stadium, great leadership, awesome coaches and some of the best players in the league. There is nothing to be ashamed of anymore. We are back where we belong among the elite teams. Yes, we haven't won the big one, but there is hope, and when you add it all up it sure is a hell of a lot of fun to be a 49ers fan again.