There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Having Patience... Lessons learned from John Harbaugh & Joe Flacco

No one wants to look at these two bums (especially after last year), but I'm gonna make you do it anyway. Let's make this quick.

In the spring of 2008, John Harbaugh became head coach of the Baltimore Ravens. That same year, Joe Flacco was drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft. That same year, the Ravens went 11-5, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game.

In 2009, the Ravens went 9-7, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Divisional Game.

In 2010, the Ravens went 12-4, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Divisional Game.

In 2011, the Ravens went 12-4, won their division, and lost to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

in 2012, the Ravens went 10-6, won their division, and won the Super Bowl against the San Francisco 49ers.

It took them five tries with a team that was originally 5-11 in 2007.

I believe our quarterback, our coach, and our team as a whole are better than those of the Baltimore Ravens.

Jim Harbaugh has been here three years. Colin Kaepernick has been the starting quarterback for a year and a half. That's not a lot of time when you take a step back and look at the big picture.

Have faith fellas. We're going to be in this fight for many years to come. The ride has just begun!

Go Niners.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:05 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
You know what they did that you didn't mention and Jim needs to copy from his brother?

Fire his offensive coordinator.....
great post.

lets not give up hope and keep the faith! niners for life!
Lets just hope bowman and Iupati is okay
Originally posted by sfout:
You know what they did that you didn't mention and Jim needs to copy from his brother?

The war against G-Ro CONTINUES!!!

True story homie. Cam Cameron out, Jim Caldwell in down the stretch in 2012. That did indeed happen.
Nice post Nick. I was actually thinking the same thing, trying to think of similar situations to ours. Glad you took the time to post this.

Honest question, but did you have these feelings after the 2011 season when Alex Smith had his best season as a 49er?
Originally posted by Kes8514:

Honest question, but did you have these feelings after the 2011 season when Alex Smith had his best season as a 49er?

For the record, I like G-Ro.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
For the record, I like G-Ro.

I think its just way too early to throw Roman overboard like so many Niner fans are doing.

However, I understand the frustration at times.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kes8514:

Yes I did. I could tell that as much as people want to bash Smith it was a lot to do with scheme, Smith routinely made his "shot plays" and we were still barely scraping by on nothing but crazy D. This years O is almost identical to 2011 with only AS and is definitely identical with 2012 with either Smith or Kaepernick as QB. Only difference was they let Kaepernick be Kapeernick in the playoffs.

2012 Smith was having a career year and you could see that he was being held back. When he was hurt we saw 1 game of what it would be like with Colin running the unhinged version of the Alex Smith based O and then it disappeared.

I've never liked Greg Roman, however since Alex Smith was hurt I've realized the issue lays with Harbaugh, it is his experience and history with ancient offenses of the bo schembechler era that this offense is based of and unless Harbaugh has a drastic change in thinking we will be seeing these AR based run heavy offensive game plans for the next 10+ years.

What made Alex's time running the O different from Kaepernick's was that for all of Smith's negatives he had the veteran savvy that Kaepernick won't have for awhile longer. Alex was much better manipulating D's with his eyes and footwork than Kaepernick currently is.

Kaepernick will get there but this offense is holding him back.

On a slightly separate note, if anybody disagrees with the fact that firing Cameron and promoting Caldwell didn't propel them to that SB then I don't know what to say because they almost assuredly would've been a 1 and down in the playoffs again under Cameron's O.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM ]
Yes I did. I could tell that as much as people want to bash Smith it was a lot to do with scheme, Smith routinely made his "shot plays" and we were still barely scraping by on nothing but crazy D. This years O is almost identical to 2011 with only AS and is definitely identical with 2012 with either Smith or Kaepernick as QB. Only difference was they let Kaepernick be Kapeernick in the playoffs.

2012 Smith was having a career year and you could see that he was being held back. When he was hurt we saw 1 game of what it would be like with Colin running the unhinged version of the Alex Smith based O and then it disappeared.

I've never liked Greg Roman, however since Alex Smith was hurt I've realized the issue lays with Harbaugh, it is his experience and history with ancient offenses of the bo schembechler era that this offense is based of and unless Harbaugh has a drastic change in thinking we will be seeing these AR based run heavy offensive game plans for the next 10+ years.

What made Alex's time running the O different from Kaepernick's was that for all of Smith's negatives he had the veteran savvy that Kaepernick won't have for awhile longer. Alex was much better manipulating D's with his eyes and footwork than Kaepernick currently is.

Kaepernick will get there but this offense is holding him back.

On a slightly separate note, if anybody disagrees with the fact that firing Cameron and promoting Caldwell didn't propel them to that SB then I don't know what to say because they almost assuredly would've been a 1 and down in the playoffs again under Cameron's O.

Fair enough and you make some good points. Thanks for the response.
You know what? Jim is a great adjustor at half time when he's behind, but when he has the lead, i don't think he's as great. That defense gave up 20 points and alot of yards. Yes, Kap was apart of the problem but they were moving the ball at will in the third. I think they scored on 4 straight possessions.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
You know what? Jim is a great adjustor at half time when he's behind, but when he has the lead, i don't think he's as great. That defense gave up 20 points and alot of yards. Yes, Kap was apart of the problem but they were moving the ball at will in the third. I think they scored on 4 straight possessions.

Three Kaep turnovers... ain't no one got time for that.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

No one wants to look at these two bums (especially after last year), but I'm gonna make you do it anyway. Let's make this quick.

In the spring of 2008, John Harbaugh became head coach of the Baltimore Ravens. That same year, Joe Flacco was drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft. That same year, the Ravens went 11-5, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game.

In 2009, the Ravens went 9-7, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Divisional Game.

In 2010, the Ravens went 12-4, made the playoffs as a wildcard, and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Divisional Game.

In 2011, the Ravens went 12-4, won their division, and lost to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

in 2012, the Ravens went 10-6, won their division, and won the Super Bowl against the San Francisco 49ers.

It took them five tries with a team that was originally 5-11 in 2007.

I believe our quarterback, our coach, and our team as a whole are better than those of the Baltimore Ravens.

Jim Harbaugh has been here three years. Colin Kaepernick has been the starting quarterback for a year and a half. That's not a lot of time when you take a step back and look at the big picture.

Have faith fellas. We're going to be in this fight for many years to come. The ride has just begun!

Go Niners.

You bring about good points. I hadn't followed the Ravens very closely back then but one thing I noticed that propelled them in 2012 was the emergence of Torrey Smith and Dennis Pitta.

They did change the offense around a bit. Their defense wasn't quite as good as the year before but still pretty good.

Their one advantage was facing a weaker AFC, and having the Patriots #. As soon as they overtook Pittsburgh in their division they became a legit contender.

Something else that doesn't get mentioned is that we will have a 2nd place schedule next year which means Saints & Bears instead of Panthers & Packers (have fun with that Seattle!).
My thing with roman and all the complaining about him us whether he's in charge of the pass game. I've heard that chryst is the "passing game coordinator" so if roman gets let go and chryst gets promoted to oc, wouldn't we have the same problem?

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Harbaugh is a great coach and hell have the team competing for years to come. The team will break through.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
My thing with roman and all the complaining about him us whether he's in charge of the pass game. I've heard that chryst is the "passing game coordinator" so if roman gets let go and chryst gets promoted to oc, wouldn't we have the same problem?

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Harbaugh is a great coach and hell have the team competing for years to come. The team will break through.

Agreed. G-Ro deserves the scrutiny, but if the offense isn't going to change, then losing G-Ro won't "fix" anything.