There are 167 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

I think the consensus I'm getting is to retain Boldin and Dawson across the board and let's hope we make that happen sooner than later.

I'd hate to see Boldin leave for another NFC foe, or worse, to SEATTLE
Rogers
Whitner
Goodwin
Dixon
Baldwin
T.Brown

Boldin and Dawson are 50-50
[ Edited by JackPardeePants on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Whitner probably gonna get the franchise tag.

justin smith and gore probably one more season here, unless either take big pay cuts.

Justin Smith took less to stay. Not sure what you're talking about there.
i just want to see carlos rogers and donte whitner gone, they just both suck
Originally posted by kingkong916:

Donte is alright. He tries to hit with his shoulder pads, but they call roughness anyway. I think he's improved his coverage a lot since last year, so the dude is committed to being better.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingkong916:

whitner far from sucks.
I would want to make a good effort to resign Boldin, Brown, and Dawson had reasonable prices. Get Wilhoite and Cox/Wright signed for cheap.

Get rid of Carlos Rogers, Whitner, and Goodwin.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Whitner: Too expensive to resign
Rogers: Too expensive
Goodwin: Young Center ready to play (Kilgore)
Brown: Too expensive
Hunter: Only one year left on rookie deal and they'll need space for Lattimore and probably a rookie. I think he gets traded
Dixon: Same as Hunter, but I think he'll leave as free agent
Baldwin: Cut

I was just talking about this with my brother. Man, if Lattimore can replace Gore, it would be sad to see Hunter go; however, I think James (utilized properly) could be Dave Meggett 2.0.

But Roman's approach to having a Meggett 2.0 is to design only two plays for that package and try to hide it by incorporating a long snap count with 50 shifts..... and to call the play in 18 seconds into the playclock.
Originally posted by ace52:
I was devastated by this loss, so much so that I didn't/couldn't post anything yesterday after the game. I was just too stunned by another heart-wrenching loss.
However, with some time to reflect, I think we are going to be OK next year. Our team still has a lot of talent, and our players play with a passion and intensity that will win most of the games that they will be in.

Still, to take the next step up toward becoming a SB champion, the Niners will need to work on a few areas. I would like to see the team do these things in this coming off-season:

1) Kap must improve: I don't want to see him go to Atlanta to work on his strength/athleticism. His athleticism is off the charts (for a QB) already. I would like to see him stay right here in the Bay Area, and I would like to see JH work with him in a QB clinic, if you will. During the season, a head coach has to divide his time between so many other things, so he probably won't have the time to do significant 1:1 work with his QB. Time should not be an issue in the off-season. Also, I think that JH should invite another expert to come to this "clinic" to work with him and Colin, because another set of eyes may bring a more objective view that JH himself may lack. Heck, I would like to see Jim reach out to Steve Young, who still cares enough about the team that if the Niners ask nicely, and pay him well for his time, will probably agree to come and help out the young 9er QB. Jim and Steve can really work with Colin on developing his pocket presence, more touch on his passes (he still throws the ball too flat sometimes, with not the right amount of arc to beat tight coverage). They should work with him on reading defenses, throwing under pressure, and throwing in the red zone with pressure in his face.

2) Baalke is a frugal GM, and that is good in general. However, if there is a stand-out WR with deep threat speed, and/or CB in the free-agent market, I hope that he will not hesitate to go after them even if they may be expensive, as long as they don't break the bank, so to speak. SEA made some free-agent signings this year (Avril, Bennett) that ended up helping them out a lot. Draft picks are great, but sometimes even outstanding rookies will make mistakes that a good vet won't make (see Reid whiffing on Lynch yesterday, for example).

3) I love Bowman, but I'm not sure if/when he can be back at 100% after that horrific injury. We need to keep Wilhoite (a very good LB, IMO), and go after a stud LB in the draft as an insurance policy in case Bowman can't return as the Bowman that we all know and love.

4) Let Lattimore gradually work himself into the starting RB role. I love Frank, but I think he is in the twilight of his career. Let him tutor Lattimore this coming season while splitting the carries with him, and later on, hopefully Frank will become a RB coach with the Niners.

5) The OL needs some upgrades. They have never been that good in pass protection, and for a line that is supposedly great at "mauling people" in the run game, they have not been able to consistently open holes for our RBs when going up against good defensive fronts. I would definitely keep Staley and Boone. The Niners should consider upgrading the other positions along the line, or at least have an open competition for them.

6) Try to keep Boldin. Enough said.

I agree with all of that! Nice job! I do think Kaep will improve with everybody healthy and ready to do for the 2014-15 season. That is assuming they keep Boldin. If not, they need to go sign another veteran WR. I think a full season of Crab, Boldin and Davis with patten in the slot would improve Kaep to a 3,500-4,000 yard 25+ TD season. We already know he doesn't throw many INTS unless it's Seattle and we know he can run. Next year he takes the next step.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Whitner: Too expensive to resign
Rogers: Too expensive
Goodwin: Young Center ready to play (Kilgore)
Brown: Too expensive
Hunter: Only one year left on rookie deal and they'll need space for Lattimore and probably a rookie. I think he gets traded
Dixon: Same as Hunter, but I think he'll leave as free agent
Baldwin: Cut

I was just talking about this with my brother. Man, if Lattimore can replace Gore, it would be sad to see Hunter go; however, I think James (utilized properly) could be Dave Meggett 2.0.

But Roman's approach to having a Meggett 2.0 is to design only two plays for that package and try to hide it by incorporating a long snap count with 50 shifts..... and to call the play in 18 seconds into the playclock.

I'm done with James. I think he has been given one too many chances. He isn't clutch and he doesn't see the field well enough. Rumors are he has a hard time learning plays and remembering them too.

I'm not as hype on keeping Whitner as I was earlier in the season. Rather they kept Brown. Going into next season the CB situation is looking dire. It's Brock and questionmarks.
if whitner and Brown can be brought back at a reasonable price, bring them back. Then play Carradine, Lemonier, Dial more next year. keeping the front 7 fresh really paid off the playoffs and last part of the season.

offense remains the 49ers biggest need. We could use a # 1 WR--as we have needed for years. Red Zone offense remains the teams biggest problem, coming back to bite the team on the biggest stages the last two seasons. Play calling could be an issue also. Other teams make it look so much easier in the red zone.
I think Brock, Cully, Wright, Cox can be a pretty good CB group. 3 of those guys have excellent speed plus we still have Morris and the draft to add more talent/depth

Hopefully we can bring back Whitner to help Reid and the Safety we eventually draft
Kaepernick (retirement)
Gore (retirement)
Crabtree (probably be traded to Minnesota for Toby Gerhart)
Joe Staley (likely will be packaged to Titans for Delaine Walker)
Willis (retirement)
Reid (can see a trade to the Eagles for a 7th round pick)
I wanna see Rodgers gone he sucks and has cost us 2 straight playoffs now getting burned on big plays. Whitner I would like back for a reasonable or discounted price. If not then we can draft or sign a FA that could probably come in and do what he does.

Boldin is the main guy that we have to bring back. He was our best offensive player this year.
Share 49ersWebzone