LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

I think we all agree on who's likely to be gone. Of all those people, I'd REALLY like if we can somehow retain Donte Whitner. He wants to be here and I believe we want him here. I also believe Baalke knows that Whitner would be too much. I honestly think he had his best season in 2013. Going with Brock, Culliver, and Reid gives us a lot of talent on the backend, but we are severely lacking in experience. If Fangio is going to continue mixing in the blitzes the way he has in the last two playoff games that may help some, but it would be great to have at least one guy back there that was playing in the NFL before 2010. Perhaps we let Whitner test the market and if the difference in what he will be offered isn't that great, we can bring him back. It's not likely, but you never know.
Gore
Boldin
Willis
Justin Smith
Dawson
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So because Eric Reid worked out you want to roll the dice again? We had to trade up to get him giving up valuable picks. This year we have huge CB, S, C, WR needs. We spend all our picks moving up for a Safety. You can bust to on those picks. We were lucky with Reid. It doesn't always work out. This secondary would be too young and inexperienced without Whitner. We need some veterans. You can't have all rookies and second year guys for a Super Bowl run. That's not prudent.

We're the 49ers! We can do whatever we want!

Seriously though, fortune favors the bold. I don't want to resign decent players just because it's safe. I want to resign decent players because they can improve and because the numbers work. Aside from Whitner, whose cap number might be prohibitive, I don't think those guys are worth it.

Whitner is not the cap buster that Goldson was. He can be resigned for a decent #. This is not the same mega deal Dashon got. He won't get those #'s around the league. He is more cap friendly and worth keeping.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Gore
Boldin
Willis
Justin Smith
Dawson

You want to lose Willis when Bowman just went down? Good plan....
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
So because Eric Reid worked out you want to roll the dice again? We had to trade up to get him giving up valuable picks. This year we have huge CB, S, C, WR needs. We spend all our picks moving up for a Safety. You can bust to on those picks. We were lucky with Reid. It doesn't always work out. This secondary would be too young and inexperienced without Whitner. We need some veterans. You can't have all rookies and second year guys for a Super Bowl run. That's not prudent.

We're the 49ers! We can do whatever we want!

Seriously though, fortune favors the bold. I don't want to resign decent players just because it's safe. I want to resign decent players because they can improve and because the numbers work. Aside from Whitner, whose cap number might be prohibitive, I don't think those guys are worth it.

Whitner is not the cap buster that Goldson was. He can be resigned for a decent #. This is not the same mega deal Dashon got. He won't get those #'s around the league. He is more cap friendly and worth keeping.

If Whitner's numbers work, then great. Like I said, I think he had a great season and does add value to the secondary. I just don't want to see the front office hold onto him because it's safe or at the expense of other guys who could be difference-makers.

I definitely don't agree with giving guys megadeals. That's how you sink a team.
Gore has lost it
Originally posted by teylo31:
Based on money, depth, need or any number of reason we are gonna lose some players. Who do you think and why?

I think Rogers is gonna be released and Goodwin. After that it gets interesting?

I hope we retain P Cox and K Osgood from the unrestricted pool. Boldin, Whitner, Brown, and Dawson will be too expensive if we want to lock up two hopefully three out of:
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati
Originally posted by sconniepanther:
I hope we retain P Cox and K Osgood from the unrestricted pool. Boldin, Whitner, Brown, and Dawson will be too expensive if we want to lock up two hopefully three out of:
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

Iupati is gone in my opinion.

Edit: cause I'm an idiot
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:
Based on money, depth, need or any number of reason we are gonna lose some players. Who do you think and why?

I think Rogers is gonna be released and Goodwin. After that it gets interesting?

1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

Man we can't lose Dawson. He's so much better than the garbage we have been playing with. This team needs a good kicker. We don't have the best offense so our margin is more slim.
That is really dangerous and could tank our entire year. We got to resign some of them. We can't let them all go. A contender with a complete secondary overhaul. Very bad idea. Sounds like a rebuilding year.

Gotta let those guys walk because we need Kap, Smith, and Crabs. The money we save will be used to keep these guys around.

Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

Lupati is gone in my opinion.

Well that's good because I want to keep "IUPATI."
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

I hope so. He doesn't awe me and seems overrated a tad. It was clear Crabs was more impactful than him.
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

at the expense of Crabs or Aldon
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

I hope so. He doesn't awe me and seems overrated a tad. It was clear Crabs was more impactful than him.

You guys don't even watch the games. He's an absolute destroyer at Guard. He mauls people. I see guys laying on the ground that get blocked by him. Pancake city. A lot of fans just watch QB and WR's. They don't even notice the line. It's not surprising.
  1. Kaep
  2. Smith
  3. Crabs
  4. Iupati

Lol... I do that all the time
Share 49ersWebzone