There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm still proud of our team......

I admit I didn't think they would win this game. Why would I given the way we played there the last few times. But to have a chance at the end only to throw it away hurts and is going to leave another bad taste in my mouth like the Superbowl.
Kaep will never win a SB time to find another QB.
I stated in another thread that this was the end of the line for this version of the 49ers and that may well be true. Most of us are pretty certain that we are losing Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Donte Whitner, and Anthony Dixon and that Frank Gore and Justin Smith will obviously be another year older. However, there are some encouraging things in our future that lead me to believe the window is as open as it ever has been for the TEAM.

The only thing that tells me that Frank Gore and Justin Smith won't be there when we finally make it to the promised land is there aren't many teams in history that go to four straight conference championships. But even with all the losses that we will have as a result of free agency or as cap casualties, when you look at the rest of the NFC, I don't see many teams closing the gap by that much between us and them. Our biggest road blocks will be in the NFC West. However, we aren't that far from regaining the clear edge here. Even though we loss, because of the effort we gave, I don't think the idea of playing in Seattle is as big of a deal as it's been the last two visits (clear blowouts). The teams are as even as they come and to me that's only because our offense has not lived up to it's potential. Same could be said for Seattle considering who they are missing however.

This brings me to the draft. I'm fully confident that Trent Baalke can rebuild our secondary in one offseason. While I don't like the prospect of potentially starting two rookies, we should be ok, and with Vic Fangio mixing in a little more blitzing, our front 7 could make our secondary look how it did in 2011 (even if we are missing NaVorro Bowman at the start of the season). We are going to reap the benefits of the 2013 draft with guys like Marcus Lattimore, Tank Carradine, and possibly Quinton Dial playing a little more. Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald can become bigger parts of our offense. I hope through the offseason our coaching staff realizes just how wide open those two guys as well as our running backs are on pass plays. I swear we leave 50 or more yards passing a game out there on the field by not targeting them and locking so hard on Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

If Trent Baalke nails it with another draft in 2014 (I'm confident this will happen) and finally brings in some speed at receiver to open things up for everyone else, our rookies from 2013 are used as an integral part of the offense and defense in 2014 (remains to be seen), and Colin Kaepernick takes the next step forward (in the classroom and improves decision making which remains to be seen), I'll go ahead and say we will be right there next season and no defense, including the Legion of Boom will stop us.
-Fangio may be gone here soon.
-Defense is the LAST of my worries.
-Offense has me worried beyond belief. Kept me up all night thinking about it. Yesterday every single yard just seemed like a daunting task. We went deep once into double coverage at the complete wrong time. Huge turnovers, no run game(all season). Questionable play calling, playing so damn conservative with no risk(like Carol 4th and 7).
-How can we not get the ball to the best TE in the NFL(if not top 2)?
-When's the last time a team made it to 4 straight NFCC's

I hate being a debbie downer but I can't control my thoughts. Sure this will go away after I've gotten over this loss though.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM ]
Good season. We lost to a good team. Best team won
Its amazing that people think a window has to close in 3 years. Did they miss the run the patriots, colts, etc. went on? Draft well, some key free agents, sign the right folks have great leadership and coaches and it keeps going.

Amazing it keeps coming up from a fan base who watched 16 straight years of winning 10 games or more.

Niners will be fine.

Go niners!
It's opened as long as we draft right and resign the right players for the right money. We have a solid core and can mix it with the best teams. It's a shame we have blown 3 golden opportunities to bring home the hardware. Staying hungry after 3 dissapointing 'almost' title runs will be our biggest hurdle. One SB would have satisfied me for a decade.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
-Fangio may be gone here soon.
-Defense is the LAST of my worries.
-Offense has me worried beyond belief. Kept me up all night thinking about it. Yesterday every single yard just seemed like a daunting task. We went deep once into double coverage at the complete wrong time. Huge turnovers, no run game(all season). Questionable play calling, playing so damn conservative with no risk(like Carol 4th and 7).
-How can we not get the ball to the best TE in the NFL(if not top 2)?
-When's the last time a team made it to 4 straight NFCC's

I hate being a debbie downer but I can't control my thoughts. Sure this will go away after I've gotten over this loss though.
Where's Fangio going? His name may have come up, but I don't believe he's taking a head coaching job anywhere. All we can do on offense is hope there is a change in philosophy and that for Colin Kaepernick instead of hitting the gym, he hits the classroom.
Definitely agree window is not closing if we continue to draft well but I'm tired of the past 3 years having a sleepless Sunday night saying what if. We're wasting real talented teams right now, all homerism aside that's 3 straight sbs we should be in with at least winning 2 in 2011 and this year, f**k I can make a case we should've won 3 in a row with the debacle of last year.
With next year's weak schedule I can easily see us going 13-3 maybe 14-2
  • pfizz
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Its amazing that people think a window has to close in 3 years. Did they miss the run the patriots, colts, etc. went on? Draft well, some key free agents, sign the right folks have great leadership and coaches and it keeps going.

Amazing it keeps coming up from a fan base who watched 16 straight years of winning 10 games or more.

Niners will be fine.

Go niners!

While I mainly agree with you those teams had elite QBs. Kap is not elite.
The window is NOT closing but,the coaching staff and these 2012 and 2013 2014 Draft classes gotta step up. This team lacks a gamechanger on offense and a gamechanger in the secondary. Hopefully this Tank dude plays well next year and sign a couple veterans.
people also need to remember that with all the talent any team has, you also have to be LUCKY. You gotta get some bounces to go your way. Look at the Seachickens, they escaped atleast 3 or 4 games this year when they cooulda LOST them. and that Saints game where Ahmad Brooks sacked Brees that cost us that game and essentially homefield or we would be having a different conversation right about now.
window isnt closing, aslong as you have the qb and coach you should be 'in the mix' as they say. to me its more about the guys from the 05-07 drafts, they're all near 30 years old and might not be around much longer.
I think if we had an OC who could utilize the talent we will remain contenders. I've never seen a team with this many weapons be so stagnant on offense.