There are 187 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm still proud of our team......

Originally posted by sspiker:
Seattle's window is going to slam shut very quickly, after they have to pay Wilson and their defense goes their separate ways. Maybe they can continue to find gems in later rounds, but their 2013 draft was somehow even worse than our 2012 draft. They have a killer 2014 free agency, and an absolutely devastating 2015 offseason ahead of them. Wilson is going to be Flacco 2.0 pretty soon.

What I'm about to say may seem like backwards logic but a part of me wants to Seahawks to win the Super Bowl just because I know it would put them in salary cap hell. While I think Kap/Crab/Aldon would all sign favorable deals because of their own personal issues (Not winning big games, Injury, DUI, etc.) and to keep the core of this roster intact. Heck to be honest Seattle is screwed regardless they will have to pay Wilson regardless, Lynch might want more money, Sherman is screaming he is the best DB in the league and will want that type of money. Not to mention they spent big money in the past few years on free agents/trades (Harvin, Avril, etc.). At the end of the day... we gucci
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.
I have been preaching this for months.
Even though he had some turnovers, Kap thoroughly outplayed Wilson yesterday. Kap drives me nuts...with so many 3rd down conversions. He had Crabtree open in the end zone, but underthrew him slightly, game over. Agree, we need some receiving help...speed outside of Vernon is clearly lacking. I love Gore, as just about everyone in this forum does, but methinks Lattimore is the guy now. Marcus can break tackles with surprising power and has plenty of breakaway ability. Granted, Lynch is a beast-freak, but to compete against him you have to come closer to matching his power and "want-to". Lattimore just might be that guy. We clearly missed Bruce Miller...he was so adept at getting Gore the space he needed to make positive yards. Have to hope Iupati fully recovers...a break is sometimes easier to heal than ligaments. My vote to replace Goodwin is Looney...Joe's a beast in his own right, he really hasn't had a chance to show it fully yet. As Joe Montana said, Kap has room to improve...his decision-making, overall awareness of who's around him on the field. No questioning his physical abilities. He's taken us to the SB and the brink of another one, which in the big scheme of things is outstanding. Just needs to fine-tune his game to get over the hump. Really looking forward to Carradine and Dial next year. Also kudos go to Dobbs and Jerod-Edie...they upped their performances to allow Justin & Ray Mac to get the rest they needed. Should be an interesting competition between Ian Williams and Dorsey for starting NT. Great to get Culliver back. He and Brock should be starting CB's. Hope Baalke re-signs Whitner...after a down 2012, he came back like gangbusters. Lots of other significant things to be proud of on our team...and agree, the window's still wide-open.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.
I have been preaching this for months.

This has been my audit. During the middle of the season (granted, KW was a major part of this) it seamed that DB's just rotated to the initial read, sat in the lane of the predicted second read rout and focused the remaining coverage to the third read. It seemed Keap just totally abandoned some of the progressions, knowing that they wouldn't be there. I don't remember seeing this last year but this year it was fairly stark.

Maybe it's Harbaugh wanting to keep things managed, maybe it's Roman favoring execution over creative playcalling. Either way, it's got to change next year. Kaep kinda looked like Steve Young (when he was raw and...... not that great....... Tampa Bay style). We may be looking at the same two to four year maturation process. At the end of the day, this team had a lot of speed in places and a lot of flexibility with player selection on plays to be this constricted. This was not the case earlier in the season, but seems to be the case now.

It's just frustrating to only see defenses surprised when Bruce Miller catches a pass. It seems they get what they expect every snap, only suffering when Keap says f' it and runs.
Two contracts may dictate whether the window is open or not:

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Crabtree, based on his past, is going to want MORE THAN Dwayne Bowe money ($11MILLION/YR). That represents an $8MILLION/yr increase over his present cap number. Will he settle for less or insist on "getting paid?" If he gets paid, it will mean someone like Iupati will not.

Kaepernick may have just played himself back a year in an extension unless he is willing to settle for a heavily incentive laden deal. His current cap number is $1.6MILLION/yr. He will certainly get a raise but is he worth the $18MILLION some have suggested. I don't think so but that is Tony Romo/Matthew Stafford territory and some will argue he deserves to be there. If Crabtree gets what he wants and Kaepernick pulls another $15MILLION INCREASE off the cap line, there will be a lot of young/cheaper players on the roster.

Gonna be a busy off-season.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Its amazing that people think a window has to close in 3 years. Did they miss the run the patriots, colts, etc. went on? Draft well, some key free agents, sign the right folks have great leadership and coaches and it keeps going.

Amazing it keeps coming up from a fan base who watched 16 straight years of winning 10 games or more.

Niners will be fine.

Go niners!

This. The Niners are in a great position for the future. Pretty young team with depth, a ton of high draft picks along with a few key red shirts from last year, and some very smart guys in the FO that are very good at what they do.
Salary cap is going up, franchise tag is always in play, not mention guys like Brown, Whitner, Rogers moving on will create some relief and we need to trade Big Mike.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.
I have been preaching this for months.

I agree to some degree. They are trying to groom him to be a pocket passer. But the issue with that is the protection wasn't always there. Once he gets the pocket presence mastered and the progression reads.....Kap will be unstoppable because he also has that running threat. Seattle played man in the first half and opened lanes for Kaps running. In the 2nd half they played zone and Kap had no where to run. On that last play of the game, he had Boldin/Davis/Patton open to the left instead threw it to Crabs who was essentially triple covered one being Sherman. Had Kap looked left, we are going to the SB.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Salary cap is going up, franchise tag is always in play, not mention guys like Brown, Whitner, Rogers moving on will create some relief and we need to trade Big Mike.

Big Mike? Iaputi or Crabs?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Its amazing that people think a window has to close in 3 years. Did they miss the run the patriots, colts, etc. went on? Draft well, some key free agents, sign the right folks have great leadership and coaches and it keeps going.

Amazing it keeps coming up from a fan base who watched 16 straight years of winning 10 games or more.

Niners will be fine.

Go niners!

This. The Niners are in a great position for the future. Pretty young team with depth, a ton of high draft picks along with a few key red shirts from last year, and some very smart guys in the FO that are very good at what they do.

We have a ton of draft picks we can play with to get guys that can start....mainly a WR and maybe a CB.
Originally posted by dj43:
Two contracts may dictate whether the window is open or not:

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Crabtree, based on his past, is going to want MORE THAN Dwayne Bowe money ($11MILLION/YR). That represents an $8MILLION/yr increase over his present cap number. Will he settle for less or insist on "getting paid?" If he gets paid, it will mean someone like Iupati will not.

Kaepernick may have just played himself back a year in an extension unless he is willing to settle for a heavily incentive laden deal. His current cap number is $1.6MILLION/yr. He will certainly get a raise but is he worth the $18MILLION some have suggested. I don't think so but that is Tony Romo/Matthew Stafford territory and some will argue he deserves to be there. If Crabtree gets what he wants and Kaepernick pulls another $15MILLION INCREASE off the cap line, there will be a lot of young/cheaper players on the roster.

Gonna be a busy off-season.

what are the chances that Crabs and Kap decide to take money friendly contracts for the team? We can't make the same mistake the Ravens did with Flacco, granted we got Boldin (hoping we can bring back as well). Thats what I liked about the old 49ers. Guys willing to take less money or redo their deals so they can get more talent on the roster.
[ Edited by Baldie on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.
I have been preaching this for months.

I agree to some degree. They are trying to groom him to be a pocket passer. But the issue with that is the protection wasn't always there. Once he gets the pocket presence mastered and the progression reads.....Kap will be unstoppable because he also has that running threat. Seattle played man in the first half and opened lanes for Kaps running. In the 2nd half they played zone and Kap had no where to run. On that last play of the game, he had Boldin/Davis/Patton open to the left instead threw it to Crabs who was essentially triple covered one being Sherman. Had Kap looked left, we are going to the SB.

In another thread, someone recalled CK had played very little in pre-season games (coach's decision).

THAT is when he should have been learning to scan the field. Let's hope Harbaugh doesn't make that mistake again.
Originally posted by Baldie:
what are the chances that Crabs and Kap decide to take money friendly contracts for the team? We can't make the same mistake the Ravens did with Flacco, granted we got Boldin (hoping we can bring back as well). Thats what I liked about the old 49ers. Guys willing to take less money or redo their deals so they can get more talent on the roster.

Not likely. Players get mad at other players for giving a "discount" because it screws them when it comes time to negotiate their contracts.
Originally posted by dj43:
Two contracts may dictate whether the window is open or not:

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Crabtree, based on his past, is going to want MORE THAN Dwayne Bowe money ($11MILLION/YR). That represents an $8MILLION/yr increase over his present cap number. Will he settle for less or insist on "getting paid?" If he gets paid, it will mean someone like Iupati will not.

Kaepernick may have just played himself back a year in an extension unless he is willing to settle for a heavily incentive laden deal. His current cap number is $1.6MILLION/yr. He will certainly get a raise but is he worth the $18MILLION some have suggested. I don't think so but that is Tony Romo/Matthew Stafford territory and some will argue he deserves to be there. If Crabtree gets what he wants and Kaepernick pulls another $15MILLION INCREASE off the cap line, there will be a lot of young/cheaper players on the roster.

Gonna be a busy off-season.

Yeah I'd rather the 49ers extend Kap now, when his value is still not that high. Of course that will be up to Kap. He may want to play another year on his current contract and hope his value will increase next year based on his improved performance. Then again, he may think that he should get what he can now, given all the uncertainties of playing in the NFL.
Originally posted by dj43:
In another thread, someone recalled CK had played very little in pre-season games (coach's decision).

THAT is when he should have been learning to scan the field. Let's hope Harbaugh doesn't make that mistake again.

I agree with the pre-season games but I also think it takes more than just 4 games to learn. Sometimes can take a season or 2. Steven Young didn't learn that skill until he was years into the league. Kap is learning at a faster rate thats for sure but he needs to grasp that concept NOW or else it'll never be enough