LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

I'm still proud of our team......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Opening for the youngsters, but quickly closing OR has closed for the older guys (Jonathan Goodwin--closed, Carlos Rogers--closed, Justin Smith--closing, Donte Whitner--closing, Frank Gore--closing, etc...).
  • dj43
Here is an interesting tidbit I just heard:

The 49ers are the 24th youngest roster in the league. Stands to reason we need to get younger.

Seattle is the 4th youngest. Should be able to stand with what they have.

Related piece: A major player in the drafting and acquisition of this young Seattle roster is…wait for it…Scot McCloughan. Though he had some personal problems here, he also brought some very good players to the 49ers while he was here. He is the #1 personnel guy in Seattle.
What these playoffs proved. That CK IS good and it wasn't via Trendy Read Option for his success.

If your team can remain effective (which it will) and work on the QB reads that's the difference between this loss and a trip to the SB. It's not like you guys got blown out or didn't make it to the playoffs period.

I don't think CK is suddenly going to go all Matt Schaub on you guys.
Originally posted by dj43:

The 49ers are the 24th youngest roster in the league. Stands to reason we need to get younger.

Seattle is the 4th youngest. Should be able to stand with what they have.

Related piece: A major player in the drafting and acquisition of this young Seattle roster is…wait for it…Scot McCloughan. Though he had some personal problems here, he also brought some very good players to the 49ers while he was here. He is the #1 personnel guy in Seattle.

A lot of Scotty's picks were good.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Here are my arguments for Closing vs. Open

Closing:
  1. Cowboy is getting older
  2. The line doesn't improve in pass blocking
  3. Kaep doesn't make steps for improvement
  4. Gore getting older
  5. Willis getting older
  6. Unable to replace departing CB's (Brown and Rogers "will be cut")
  7. Unable to sign or replace AB
  8. Roman stays as OC and remains stubborn on plays selections and calls
Open:
  1. Tank C. gets on the field and becomes a starter
  2. Lattimore fully recovered from knee injury and catches fire
  3. Keap takes a step forward (not expecting the world, but gets better at the little things)
  4. Patton, becomes a solid number two option
  5. Line becomes more consistent pass blockers
  6. Roman leaves
  7. Culliver reviews all of Seattle's game films and replicates the way their CB's attach themselves to receivers without getting called for it.
  8. 49ers resign AB to a cap friendly contract.
Either way, I only see Seattle getting better next year. It's kinda like the old days with the 49ers and Rams, only, we're now the Rams (I'm talking early 80's).

this is the only chance they have.
did you forget they signed harvin to a mega contract and gave up 1st round picks.
and then half of their defense is in the last year of their deal and will command top dollar.
and then they still have to resign wilson.

this is the last time this team will look like this in seattle.
Originally posted by pfizz:
While I mainly agree with you those teams had elite QBs. Kap is not elite.

To be fair neither was Brady at the beginning of their run. He was good but not a great QB in their first two SB seasons but the overall team, including a great D and special teams, was a big part of the reason they won.

Conversely they have been close but not able to win it all for a long time when Brady was elite. The QB is important but this is the ultimate team game. A great team with a very good but not great QB can do a lot of things while elite QBs with mediocre teams either don't make the playoffs at all or go down like the Pats did yesterday.

The window is wide open and it can stay open longer with quality drafting and contract decisions.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Opening for the youngsters, but quickly closing OR has closed for the older guys (Jonathan Goodwin--closed, Carlos Rogers--closed, Justin Smith--closing, Donte Whitner--closing, Frank Gore--closing, etc...).

we don't use all of the players we have
still don't use hunter
and haven't used james to spell gore

and have lattimore coming in.

that's on the o.c.

and the line not blocking last game.
closing on certain players only.

Gore, J.Smith, C.Rogers (meh on CR)......
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by pfizz:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Its amazing that people think a window has to close in 3 years. Did they miss the run the patriots, colts, etc. went on? Draft well, some key free agents, sign the right folks have great leadership and coaches and it keeps going.

Amazing it keeps coming up from a fan base who watched 16 straight years of winning 10 games or more.

Niners will be fine.

Go niners!

While I mainly agree with you those teams had elite QBs. Kap is not elite.

Neither was Young after a season and a half starting in the NFL
Young was on a bad team, a Buc team that was bad before he got there and bad long after he left, you really can't compare the two.
Originally posted by dj43:

Seattle is the 4th youngest. Should be able to stand with what they have

Usually those numbers are months to a year apart when it comes to the average age. That can flip in as little as one season with losing a couple vets and a good draft.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by LVJay:

we don't use all of the players we have
still don't use hunter
and haven't used james to spell gore

and have lattimore coming in.

that's on the o.c.

and the line not blocking last game.

I won't argue with that, mostly because it's true

BUT, beware of the Roman nut-hugger(s)... there's nothing we can say that really gets through
The problem is that the window for Seattle, Rams, and Cardinals is much larger than ours currently. They have more talented younger talent. Also we are incapable of winning in Seattle, so we have to hope we don't play in Seattle during the playoffs. Also everyone gets injured when we play in Seattle.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
The problem is that the window for Seattle, Rams, and Cardinals is much larger than ours currently. They have more talented younger talent. Also we are incapable of winning in Seattle, so we have to hope we don't play in Seattle during the playoffs. Also everyone gets injured when we play in Seattle.

Some valid points, but still, I'm giving you thumbs down for not getting on people's nerves ( turning it up a notch ) Saving it for game day? That's quite a long way from now

BTW, I believe Cheattle will have to deal with a lot of cap issues in the near future... I don't think their window is better than ours.
[ Edited by LVJay on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM ]
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

Also, Brooks is signed for like 5 years so he'll be here.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.

Still, I think we'll be in the discussion for a while, hopefully through this decade at least.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Whether it's opening/closing/whatever, these past few years have ultimately been a waste of prime years for some of our best guys. Anything less than a title during these years has to be seen as a failure in at least some form.

Also, Brooks is signed for like 5 years so he'll be here.

I don't know what it is with the philosophy, but Harbaugh/Roman really held Kap back in the beginning of the year and throughout the season at times. I can't help but think that the conservatism and stubbornness are really hurting his development in some way.

Still, I think we'll be in the discussion for a while, hopefully through this decade at least.

^^THIS^^
Share 49ersWebzone