There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL against the quest for 6?

I always thought the Patriots first Super Bowl with Brady was rigged. Tuck rule against the Raiders, all right after 9-11 when the nation needed a boost, along come the Patriots...
Originally posted by rominjoe:
Originally posted by 4ML:
You see what you want to see.

Hope you enjoy that game with your blindfold on. Those plays were blatant examples of egregious calls that had a major impact on the outcome of those specific games and in some cases the season. At a certain point the game feels less like the kind of games I grew up watching and playing and more like something akin to professional wrestling. Staged. It's not there yet but these things don't happen overnight either.

O so you're saying the ref didn't see Cary Williams shoving him?
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by theduke85:
For the love of god, will people please stop talking about the NFL being for/against certain teams? Jesus christ.

Cause with BILLIONS of dollars bet on the NFL that would be an unreasonable thought?
It's sour grapes and it's pathetic.

This is all it boils down to: if you really think the NFL is rigged, then the 49ers are winning because the league wants them to.

See how that works? it's common sense. People are so ridiculous with these conspiracies that it's downright pathetic. If the 49ers win, they did it completely legitimately. If the 49ers lose, it's because there's possibly some conspiracy.

I don't know if you guys are dense or didn't watch the game last week, but many calls went in the 49ers' favor last week.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
For the love of god, will people please stop talking about the NFL being for/against certain teams? Jesus christ.

Cause with BILLIONS of dollars bet on the NFL that would be an unreasonable thought?
It's sour grapes and it's pathetic.

This is all it boils down to: if you really think the NFL is rigged, then the 49ers are winning because the league wants them to.

See how that works? it's common sense. People are so ridiculous with these conspiracies that it's downright pathetic. If the 49ers win, they did it completely legitimately. If the 49ers lose, it's because there's possibly some conspiracy.

I don't know if you guys are dense or didn't watch the game last week, but many calls went in the 49ers' favor last week.

Wrong. The 49ers win not bc refs rule in their favor, but despite many plays in which the refs rule against them. You seem to think that I believe their poor calls are bc they are trying to rig every play, every game. They don't have to. Just a few. the missed call that allowed Rodgers to spring loose on a 4th down happened right in front of the official who was looking right at the man pull Mcdonald off from behind.

theres no need to call me (or others like me) ridiculous or dense for hypothesizing a theory. If u disagree, make your point the same way the 'conspiracy theorists' do, but don't insult us bc we think there might be a little more to the game than meets the eye.
Wrong. The 49ers win not bc refs rule in their favor, but despite many plays in which the refs rule against them. You seem to think that I believe their poor calls are bc they are trying to rig every play, every game. They don't have to. Just a few. the missed call that allowed Rodgers to spring loose on a 4th down happened right in front of the official who was looking right at the man pull Mcdonald off from behind.

theres no need to call me (or others like me) ridiculous or dense for hypothesizing a theory. If u disagree, make your point the same way the 'conspiracy theorists' do, but don't insult us bc we think there might be a little more to the game than meets the eye.
Some ideas are not worth dignifying. Bad calls happen because of human nature (i.e. refs are not infallible), not because of some grand scheme by the league. Sometimes multiple calls go against a certain team (again, look at the game last week -- we got numerous beneficial calls, indisputably more than the Panthers, unless you start grasping at straws).

We shouldn't even be having discussions about nonsense like this. It reflects poorly on the fan base.
The only reason the 49ers beat the Packers in "The Catch 2" is because they didn't call the Jerry Rice fumble. The refs are clearly in our favor. We should have never won that game.We should never talk about that play or game again because it's clearly tainted.

Some ideas are not worth dignifying. Bad calls happen because of human nature (i.e. refs are not infallible), not because of some grand scheme by the league. Sometimes multiple calls go against a certain team (again, look at the game last week -- we got numerous beneficial calls, indisputably more than the Panthers, unless you start grasping at straws).

We shouldn't even be having discussions about nonsense like this. It reflects poorly on the fan base.

Tell that to Suns fans after the Tim Donaghy fiasco. It's not out of the realm of possibility. The NFL officials are part time employees.

I sincerely hope that it's not happening in the NFL like it did in the NBA, and I don't really think if it is that it's because of the NFL wanting the niners to lose. It would likely be a gambling scandal again.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Tell that to Suns fans after the Tim Donaghy fiasco. It's not out of the realm of possibility. The NFL officials are part time employees.

I sincerely hope that it's not happening in the NFL like it did in the NBA, and I don't really think if it is that it's because of the NFL wanting the niners to lose. It would likely be a gambling scandal again.
Look, I'm not saying it's not possible. It totally is.

But what I'm saying is that it is incredibly naive to think that we could not be the beneficiaries of it too. That's where I think people get ridiculous about it. How many times have these people complaining about the refs suggested that one of our wins was tainted because of officiating!? Never. You never hear that. The "NFL is rigged" card is only played if we lose. It's always unthinkable or unfathomable that the refs could ever be making calls in our favor, and that's why it's ridiculous.

Again, it's a crutch. People only play this card when we lose. If we beat Seattle today and their fans start complaining about the refs, the same fans suggesting this is a possibility will roll their eyes at the Seahawks fans and call them poor sports.

If you want to entertain the idea that the league is fixed, then be my guest. But for the love of god, don't be so naive to think that the league is out to get the 49ers and that the refs aren't screwing teams in our favor.

A couple posts above someone said, "well, the refs tried to screw the 49ers a couple times, but they won anyway." Come on. Seriously?
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jan 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]
BTW, you're right -- I shouldn't be so brash. Even if I strongly disagree, I shouldn't patronize the people that believe it. I just feel strongly about it, sorry for getting worked up and being an ass.

Try and stay focused. I dont think ive referenced panther game other than hilighting the idiocy of the nfl using that game as an example (apparently only 49er plays if we r using the article as our reference point). All of the games ive mentioned have been during 2001 forward in the height of parity era. Even then arguing that is better than simply insulting ur opposition and it gives the impression tht ur argument is weaker than it is. Seriously if the conversation is that far beneath you, no one is forcing you to have it.
BTW, you're right -- I shouldn't be so brash. Even if I strongly disagree, I shouldn't patronize the people that believe it. I just feel strongly about it, sorry for getting worked up and being an ass.

Enjoy the game!
Enjoy the game!
You too man, and like I said, thanks for leveling with me. It's never okay to be so pissy or condescending.
I would imagine setting the tone early would potentially help us. Take away Seattkes ability to hold and they look human.
The reason for all of this is that the NFL is giving the refs more power than they can handle.
Originally posted by 4ML:
We've won 5 chips...and went to the Super Bowl last year. Stop whining about NFL is against us. Bad calls are part of the game...they will continue to be a part of the game just like a bad throw, bad coverage, bad tackle etc. There is no need to make up a conspiracy theory.

SO THIS.