There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Eric Wright In the Dog House?

I'm curious what has happened to Eric Wright's playing time? Is he getting any reps at all? When he was activated, they cut Perrish Cox, and Harbaugh and Baalke praised Wright's performance on the field. Then he tweaked his hamstring that one week, and after that, they re-signed Cox, moved him ahead of Wright on the depth chart, and now he seems to be a forgotten man, even though he is healthy. Was there something specific that put Wright in the Dog House, or did they lose confidence in him because they were unsure how he wold respond after his injury?
I thought he was still injured? Or, at least not 100%. In any case, I think Rogers is back as the nickel.
I think he is. Didn't step up (in class, practice) when Rogers went down.
He was in on Special Teams on Sunday I believe, at least I think I saw #30 on STs. Maybe Cox is just better.

Maiocco took back his thoughts on Wright being a starter in 2014, now saying not so. I think a 1yr deal for minimum is fair. He hasn't shown much at all to say 2yr+ deal.
His Hammy wasn't right in GB. I saw him in there last week.
I don't think he's in the doghouse, he's just been beaten out. Cox has done a tremendous job since coming back. Wright had a minor hamstring issue, and Cox used that opportunity to seize the job.

I like how the coaches play the guys who are simply performing the best. It even looks like Rogers is not going to get his starting job back. Brock and Brown remain the starters, Rogers will come in as the slot corner on passing downs.
I was surprised we cut Cox in the first place. I think we will re-sign one of them for next year (both FA's) and right now Cox looks to be the guy. Probably looks like:
1.Brock 2.Culliver 3.Cox/1st Rnd 4.Loser of #3 Battle 5.3rd Rd-5th Rd 6?.Morris
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I was surprised we cut Cox in the first place. I think we will re-sign one of them for next year (both FA's) and right now Cox looks to be the guy. Probably looks like:
1.Brock 2.Culliver 3.Cox/1st Rnd 4.Loser of #3 Battle 5.3rd Rd-5th Rd 6?.Morris

I like D. Morris, I hope he steps up...
Originally posted by LVJay:

If they have confidence in him at CB maybe he becomes the #5 guy and we don't take a mid round CB. We really haven't seen him play all that much at CB. I'm not sure what they envision for him at CB. He definitely has the speed and him playing ST helps his chances.

Edit: Side note I don't know where Maiocco ever got 2014 starter from with Wright. I think he is a #3 or a 4. I think that's Cullivers job to lose as Brock will be the other starter. Like I said I see us re-signing either Cox or Wright and they would compete against a high pick rookie (round 1 or 2) for the #3 spot. Who knows maybe we sign both of them for vet min and we still draft a rookie in the 1st or 2nd. Would give us more vet depth but less long term possibilities as we would likely be taking away a mid round CB pick and maybe hurting our high pick rookies chances to play although you hope the best player would get the job.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM ]
He got hurt, and we all know Harbaugh has no reservations about a player losing his job because of injury. lol
No he's in the water because he didn't want to be a hotdog. Lol..
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
No he's in the water because he didn't want to be a hotdog. Lol..

[ Edited by RabidNiner on Jan 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM ]
I always liked Cox, and he's been in the system for two years. Is Wright in the dog house? Can't say, however, one thing is sure, if a player does not give 100% they won't play in Coach Harbaugh's system.
Eric wright needs an offseason with uyeyama. Once he gets into 49er shape he should get more reps
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by LVJay:

If they have confidence in him at CB maybe he becomes the #5 guy and we don't take a mid round CB. We really haven't seen him play all that much at CB. I'm not sure what they envision for him at CB. He definitely has the speed and him playing ST helps his chances.

Edit: Side note I don't know where Maiocco ever got 2014 starter from with Wright. I think he is a #3 or a 4. I think that's Cullivers job to lose as Brock will be the other starter. Like I said I see us re-signing either Cox or Wright and they would compete against a high pick rookie (round 1 or 2) for the #3 spot. Who knows maybe we sign both of them for vet min and we still draft a rookie in the 1st or 2nd. Would give us more vet depth but less long term possibilities as we would likely be taking away a mid round CB pick and maybe hurting our high pick rookies chances to play although you hope the best player would get the job.

I hope we do draft a rook that high and also another safety... the competition in camp is going to be strong.