There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carlos Rogers RELEASED

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Meh, if Harvin is out, just play base defense all day with zone blitzes.

TJE picked off a pass against the Texans doing this.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
You guys are ridiculous. Cox over Rogers? HA! Have you not seen Cox tackle in space. Hes awful and he gets pushed off in the run game. fa
Fact. After rewatching both the Seattle games Rogers is clearly the best option at NB. He was excellent at tackling in space and he's the best run support corner on the roster. Say what you will about his coverage but all our DBs have been getting beat. None of them our lockdown CBs. Brown gave up that TD to Smith. Plus Rogers had good coverage against Seattle so that may be a good WR core for him to cover. Ultimately we need his run stopping abilitg on the field as much as possible to prevent Lynch from breaking off any big ones.


This, are people actually watching the game with both eyes open? Cox has played "meh" for the most part. He's done a mediocre job when the 49ers REALLY needed someone to do a decent job. I still take Rogers over Cox, no doubt about it.

I don't always agree with you Phoenix, but you are 100% right on this point!
There's no way he's as bad as some of you think he is. He can contribute.
he's Ray Charles with a helmet

dude is always hella lost
having Carlos back is only a positive.
Some of you guys need to admit that you don't know much about football and do more observing than commenting. I think some of you guys just repeat what you see other (more respected) members on the zone say, instead of actually watching the game 2-3 times and studying a player in certain situations for yourself. Rogers is and will be our NB on Sunday, he has been apart of this defense longer than just about any other corner on our roster and has made plenty of plays in the past. I grew up with P.Cox and I want to see him play on Sunday but CR would be the better option. Cox is stable in coverage but I feel like defenses throw his way early and often because he has been bounced on and off the roster and in and out of the lineup alot this season. At least with Rogers, teams will have to play honest and not go after one guy just because of his lack of playing time. I think given all Cox has been through this season he has played solid for us, but it's time to respectfully give CR his spot back.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Some of you guys need to admit that you don't know much about football and do more observing than commenting. I think some of you guys just repeat what you see other (more respected) members on the zone say, instead of actually watching the game 2-3 times and studying a player in certain situations for yourself. Rogers is and will be our NB on Sunday, he has been apart of this defense longer than just about any other corner on our roster and has made plenty of plays in the past. I grew up with P.Cox and I want to see him play on Sunday but CR would be the better option. Cox is stable in coverage but I feel like defenses throw his way early and often because he has been bounced on and off the roster and in and out of the lineup alot this season. At least with Rogers, teams will have to play honest and not go after one guy just because of his lack of playing time. I think given all Cox has been through this season he has played solid for us, but it's time to respectfully give CR his spot back.

well said.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Some of you guys need to admit that you don't know much about football and do more observing than commenting. I think some of you guys just repeat what you see other (more respected) members on the zone say, instead of actually watching the game 2-3 times and studying a player in certain situations for yourself. Rogers is and will be our NB on Sunday, he has been apart of this defense longer than just about any other corner on our roster and has made plenty of plays in the past. I grew up with P.Cox and I want to see him play on Sunday but CR would be the better option. Cox is stable in coverage but I feel like defenses throw his way early and often because he has been bounced on and off the roster and in and out of the lineup alot this season. At least with Rogers, teams will have to play honest and not go after one guy just because of his lack of playing time. I think given all Cox has been through this season he has played solid for us, but it's time to respectfully give CR his spot back.

I can agree with this .... as long as the Bro's start.
It's not that Cox has played well but he's played well enough not to give up anything to cost us. Rogers definitely needs to start at nickle over cox.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
There's no way he's as bad as some of you think he is. He can contribute.
I agree. He's been a solid player the last few years for us, not the gaping weakness people make him out to be.
Rogers is good for that one INT with his vet experience and he's one of our biggest trash talkers (just to get in head of these receivers)....and turnovers are going to be huge in this game.

so yeah he'll give up catches here and there, but I can see him causing a turnover compared to Cox or Wright.

if he gives up a huge play, then yeah get his arse out ASAP.


also, little tibit, but I was watching the beginning of the Seahawks game at Candlestick and Eric Wright was playing well... I wonder what happened with him.
Rogers had his second to worst game against the Seahawks in week 14 and his worst game against Arizona in week 17. Do we really want to use a guy that is coming off and injury and was playing his worst football before the injury? Im not so sure. Im really praying Harvin doesn play because if he was, he can burn all of our corners easily. Bock and Brown both had bad games last game too. I would really like to see Wright get at least a couple snaps.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,128
Originally posted by T-9ers:
There's no way he's as bad as some of you think he is. He can contribute.

i agree with this. there always has to be a whipping boy for the fans
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,128
Originally posted by HessianDud:
having Carlos back is only a positive.

bill walsh said you can never have enough quality corners
Originally posted by eonblue:
You guys are ridiculous. Cox over Rogers? HA! Have you not seen Cox tackle in space. Hes awful and he gets pushed off in the run game. fa
Fact. After rewatching both the Seattle games Rogers is clearly the best option at NB. He was excellent at tackling in space and he's the best run support corner on the roster. Say what you will about his coverage but all our DBs have been getting beat. None of them our lockdown CBs. Brown gave up that TD to Smith. Plus Rogers had good coverage against Seattle so that may be a good WR core for him to cover. Ultimately we need his run stopping abilitg on the field as much as possible to prevent Lynch from breaking off any big ones.

I'm with Eon. I don't know what game you guys were watching, but Terrell Brown, Cox and Brock got torched against the Packers and Panthers. In a game where stopping Marshawn Lynch and Turbin will be key, we need all the good tacklers we can get. Our pass rush is going to be supremely important, while maintaining their gaps so that Willow can't escape outside the pocket. They will have to push the edges but the linebackers will need to clean up the gap. If they can collapse the pocket up front at the same time, Willow will have to get rid of the ball quickly. If they get Harvin back, Whitner and Reid will need to wrap up and take their shots when it is safe.