There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kap Declared a Runner on a Play he Passed

Might as well get used to it... the NFL views running QBs as an unfair advantage and they even it out by letting teams specifically target them for injury. Kind of a funny contradiction in a league that spews all of this b******t about player safety. We saw that with their decision to say that Kap, RG3, and Wilson were fair game even in the pocket if they are running forward, even if they didn't have the ball. I guess that is the key, as Kap was running forward during the play in question, so he was a fair target. If he was running sideways they might have called a penalty.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM ]
White boy, golden boy, established veteran, pocket passers = protection on every play. Brees is the perfect example of this. Hit him on the shoulder pads and it's a penalty that cost us homefield advantage.

Black running QB = hit him as much as you want. No protection.


This is the NFL rule.....
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,574
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
White boy, golden boy, established veteran, pocket passers = protection on every play. Brees is the perfect example of this. Hit him on the shoulder pads and it's a penalty that cost us homefield advantage.

Black running QB = hit him as much as you want. No protection.


This is the NFL rule.....

Same thing been happened to Vick in his prime. They never protect "running" QBs the same way as the poster boys. Kap can get straight molly-wopped and nothing ever happens.

Luckily Kap is smart and tough. He slides when he needs to and takes hits like a champ.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Another one of NFL's stupid rules open for interpretation, which leads to inconsistent officiating.

exactly
Everyone knows that the exact same play with Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers draws a flag. When is the NFL going to figure out that officials are making a mockery of the game with their double-standards?
I think a QB that is running laterally out of the pocket with the ball clearly in a passing motion will have the protection of a passer other than the one step rule. However, if the QB is running forward towards the line of scrimmage then he will be deemed to be a RB and thus not have the protection of a passer.

My best guess anyway. In the case of Kap he was moving towards the line and it was reasonable to assume that he would be running and not passing.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by socalniner:
I thought it was because he was out of the pocket

Yup, once a QB moves outside of the pocket they are not afforded the same protection that QB's in the pocket get.

So that virtually makes the Hobbit a target on almost every play.
It's not a flag because the defender has the right to assume the QB is going to run if he's out of the pocket and running towards the line of scrimmage. It'd be way too easy for a QB to fake pass right at the line to scare off a defender from making a legal tackle. Or some riskier QBs might even throw the ball away if they're heading towards the LoS and see a defender coming towards them, banking on a 15-yard penalty with a hit.
ok..... so what is it when the QB spins into a headbutt...............
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
ok..... so what is it when the QB spins into a headbutt...............

what's f**ked up is Kap did the same thing against the falcons but didn't get a call...
[ Edited by socalniner on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Certain QBs are.

Just need to employ some self defense techniques

[ Edited by Bluesbro on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
ok..... so what is it when the QB spins into a headbutt...............

what's f**ked up is Kap did the same thing against the falcons but didn't get a call...

yeah. what i was thinking EXACTLY.
Originally posted by sspiker:
It's not a flag because the defender has the right to assume the QB is going to run if he's out of the pocket and running towards the line of scrimmage. It'd be way too easy for a QB to fake pass right at the line to scare off a defender from making a legal tackle. Or some riskier QBs might even throw the ball away if they're heading towards the LoS and see a defender coming towards them, banking on a 15-yard penalty with a hit.

This is assuming it was bang bang. Again, this was well after the pass. The defender had every opportunity to not hit Kap, but he chose to (as in "the QB doesn't have the ball but I'm going to lay him out anyway"). I think people need to see the replay.
obvious racism
From what I recall of the play, seems like the right call. Unless someone can put up a GIF. For all intents and purposes, he seemed like a runner. He was running to the LOS, not in a passing stance. Defenses are already at a disadvantage, to not let them hit a QB running in that situation is tough. I just wish it was called consistently. And there is gray area for the ref which is always a bad thing. Although, on that particular play, he seemed as if he was a runner at that point. Doesn't mean he can't still put up a quick, short pass.