There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kap Declared a Runner on a Play he Passed

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Okay, I asked this in the PL the other day, but I'm not satisfied with the answer.

The play in question was a broken play where Kap escaped the pocket, looked as if he was going to take off, at the last second (before crossing the LOS) he passed the ball to Gore, then after a second he took an egregious late hit. The hit was so late it wasn't seen until replay. They showed a replay and Aikman commented quickly that the hit was legal because Kap had declared himself a runner. My confusion is that it seems impossible for someone to be a runner on a play they throw a pass. The rule book states that a QB is declared a runner when they tuck the ball and take off, but it doesn't specify that the player remains a runner when they decide to bring the ball back up to make a pass. To me any time a QB throws the ball, they should be considered a passer. Thoughts?
I thought it was because he was out of the pocket
Originally posted by socalniner:

Yup, once a QB moves outside of the pocket they are not afforded the same protection that QB's in the pocket get.
this was the problem with the hit he took in new orleans if i recall correctly.
Originally posted by KegBert:

Yup, once a QB moves outside of the pocket they are not afforded the same protection that QB's in the pocket get.

Certain QBs are.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

You can't hit a QB late out of the pocket on a pass.

The real problem is teams are targeting running QBs after read-option hand-offs while passing QBs can't be breathed on without drawing a penalty. This play was like a read-option pass in how it played out with Kaep still getting hit even though he threw the ball.
Another one of NFL's stupid rules open for interpretation, which leads to inconsistent officiating.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KegBert:

That's true, but not all the rules change. You still cannot hit the passer late. That never changes.
In addition to having had one too many concussions throughout his career, Aikman is an avowed 49ers hater. Beyond that the rule is dumb and was made by people whose team doesn't have a QB that can do the things that Kap, and those similar to his like, can do. So they came up with a BS rule to neutralize the threat. I have seen Kap get hit at least twice (as a "throwing QB") in a manner in which a flag merited being thrown, instead nothing was done, and it is something which frustrates me about the refs, the rulebook, and the NFL in general.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Okay, I asked this in the PL the other day, but I'm not satisfied with the answer.

The play in question was a broken play where Kap escaped the pocket, looked as if he was going to take off, at the last second (before crossing the LOS) he passed the ball to Gore, then after a second he took an egregious late hit. The hit was so late it wasn't seen until replay. They showed a replay and Aikman commented quickly that the hit was legal because Kap had declared himself a runner. My confusion is that it seems impossible for someone to be a runner on a play they throw a pass. The rule book states that a QB is declared a runner when they tuck the ball and take off, but it doesn't specify that the player remains a runner when they decide to bring the ball back up to make a pass. To me any time a QB throws the ball, they should be considered a passer. Thoughts?
Good call, it probably is a judgement call when a QB becomes a "runner". Definite gray area. During the 2013 offseason, a ton of time was spent on this when the read-option became such a big part of the game. Referees were schooled as to when a qb is a runner so they can be hit when they had a ball off in the read. I remember in week 2 when Aldon laid the wood on Wilson when he was carrying out a fake. Collinsworth was all over it saying how much attention was given to that in the offseason. Textbook example. I know Kap made a forward pass but i believe it to be the same.

As for Aikman, file another one in the column of anti-niner propaganda.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Certain QBs are.

This is known as the Famous, White and Slow rule.
Kaep is not under Goodell's protection.

I just pray he doesn't take a bigger hit
the tatoo sleeves rule?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Certain QBs are.

This is known as the Famous, White and Slow rule.

tatoo sleeves rule?
I remember jay cutler took off up the middle of the field. It was open field but still behind the line. Last second he flips pass forward and the defender clocks him in the strike zone. The defender got flagged for late hit. So everyone is going to judge all plays and players different.

Kaepernick is getting any breaks
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I remember jay cutler took off up the middle of the field. It was open field but still behind the line. Last second he flips pass forward and the defender clocks him in the strike zone. The defender got flagged for late hit. So everyone is going to judge all plays and players different.

Kaepernick is getting any breaks

I can understand if it's bang bang, but this was a situation Kap was literally just standing there and then took a shot. Not implying that's what happened on the Cutler play.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]