There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

Here's a different interpretation of the play in post #99. It is the second play of this article.

They also break down the Boldin big catch (post #19 of this thread). I don't agree with the way this article broke it down (play #1 of the article). jonnydel's breakdown is more accurate. It was cover2 zone under, with the safety having a complete brainfart. Too much blame on Munnerlyn who was just executing his assignment, similar to the CB at the bottom of the screen. The GIFs in the article are good quality though.
I wonder if Jerod-Eddie competes with Dorsey for the NT spot or we just keep him as a valuable swing D-Lineman ala Ricky Jean. He continues to impress and get better and better. If we can Ian Williams back healthy and get Tank Carradine going, our D-Line is going be nasty next year!
Outside of Kap, Vernon Davis is the most valuable 49ers player on offense and probably the team. He missed the Indy game, we could not move the ball and had what 3pts? He missed the 2nd half of the Panthers game and we could not score any points. When he is not on the field for us we are in trouble.
Originally posted by JackPardeePants:
Outside of Kap, Vernon Davis is the most valuable 49ers player on offense and probably the team. He missed the Indy game, we could not move the ball and had what 3pts? He missed the 2nd half of the Panthers game and we could not score any points. When he is not on the field for us we are in trouble.

His value cannot be understated. What he keeps the defense from doing is this type of defense:

Because Vernon threatens deep so often teams can't run this to try and double the outside receivers. *not sure about the #1 coverage statement because this playbook was from 98. The Giants ran this defense against us very effectively when we played them last year.
He also forces so much attention because when teams don't purposefully try and take him out of the game he has monster games. This is why I think he's the best TE in the game. He's not like Witten who has teams trying to double the guys on the outside more, leaving him free to work the outside zones because Witten isn't the threat that Davis is. Teams actively try and shut him down every game. He's like the Adrian Peterson of TE's.
Here's the play that put the second to last nail in the coffin for CAR. It also made the bs penalty on Skuta a non issue.

Below: 49ers come with cover 2 man under. Bow is on the TE, Willis is on the RB. Everyone else is manned up: Brock (top), Cox (slot), Brown (bottom). In this picture, the ball was just snapped and there is one 49er who has reacted before anyone else. Before anyone else on the offense for that matter.

Below: 49ers will use a stunt with Justin. It's vital that Brooks and RayMac execute properly to collapse the Oline inwards, allowing Justin to loop to the edge. Brooks and RayMac will attack the inside shoulder of the RT and RG, respectively.

Below: Cam's first and only read is Olsen the TE. With Bow playing inside leverage and a safety over the top, Olsen is not open on any kind of vertical route. Cox has defeated the crossing route by the WR.

Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The stunt works and Justin has a clear lane to the QB. Cam never takes his eyes off of Olsen the TE.

The line stunt.

Cam foolishly makes the throw anyway. On a 1st down, after getting a very beneficial PF call for roughing the QB, Cam throws away any real chance at a comeback by forcing the issue.

Bow does not care to block. It's a done deal.

In this play, is the LB's coverage on Crabtree typical of the defense or is it specifically to take Crabtree away? Meaning, if Patton and Crabs switched places would the LB play him the same way? It seems to me, the defense gameplanned to take VD and Crabs away, leaving Boldin to have a big game.
Bowman didn't block because the smart thing to do was for Whitner to just go down rather than risk turning it over back to them
Originally posted by Arminini:

In this play, is the LB's coverage on Crabtree typical of the defense or is it specifically to take Crabtree away? Meaning, if Patton and Crabs switched places would the LB play him the same way? It seems to me, the defense gameplanned to take VD and Crabs away, leaving Boldin to have a big game.

It's typical. The LB knows he has pretty much no hep on the inside with the safeties and corners playing deep coverage. He's trying to play with inside leverage to only give the WR an outside release. You don't want to give a receiver a two way option on routes, you want to take one direction away. It's just good technique. It's harder for a right handed QB to make a short outside throw to his left than an inside throw over the middle.

I have strong suspicions you are correct in that special attention was given to Crabs throughout the game. On this particular play, check out how Boldin's defender executes his assignment. He (slot defender) gives Boldin a shove, then allows Boldin to release. Only when the pass is thrown does that defender start to chase Boldin. Now to the slot defender covering Crabs, he gives Crabs a shove, then turns his back to Kap in order to stay with Crabs. There are a number of instances where the defense played by CAR was not symmetrical with regards to each side of the field.
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's the play that put the second to last nail in the coffin for CAR. It also made the bs penalty on Skuta a non issue.

Below: Same moment in time as pic above. The stunt works and Justin has a clear lane to the QB. Cam never takes his eyes off of Olsen the TE.

The line stunt.

Double stunt to the outside with Cowboy being the one to go outside. I knew we ran this. Remember this was talked about when Brooks' containment talks were mentioned...was it in the GB game? This one is even more scary because it is against a mobile QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Double stunt to the outside with Cowboy being the one to go outside. I knew we ran this. Remember this was talked about when Brooks' containment talks were mentioned...was it in the GB game? This one is even more scary because it is against a mobile QB.

Jonny mentioned that the incident against Green Bay probably wasn't a designed stunt (developed way too slowly it seemed), at least not that close to the goal line, and that one was still relatively early in the 2nd quarter. The one against Newton, the Panthers offense was pressed for time and needed to get large chunks of yardage to make up a 13 point deficit.
@jonnydel and @thl408 Thank alot guys. Your commentary has made the 9ers even more enjoyable.
@jonnydel and @thl408 Thank alot guys. Your commentary has made the 9ers even more enjoyable.

You guys should have your own featured article or thread weekly. I love reading your breakdowns.

I love how you do still shots then the full animated play at the end. Ties it all together so well
Originally posted by jonnydel:

It's typical. The LB knows he has pretty much no hep on the inside with the safeties and corners playing deep coverage. He's trying to play with inside leverage to only give the WR an outside release. You don't want to give a receiver a two way option on routes, you want to take one direction away. It's just good technique. It's harder for a right handed QB to make a short outside throw to his left than an inside throw over the middle.

Notice how wide open McDonald was on the right side. Also, watch the def. PI on the bottom of the screen (against Patton?)
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:53 PM ]
Beautiful execution on that stunt, that's what I'm talking about!