LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by verb1der:
But name one offensive coordinator who doesn't have brain farts? I'm pretty sure they're all flawed to an extent.

the problem isn't the fart, its when he has to let one rip.
if you fart inside of a movie theater during die hard.. no harm no foul
but if you decide to let a huge one rip during schindler's list.. we have a problem.

the playbook is perfect imo. the game depends on the flow the flow determines the execution. and he's been way better these past few weeks than any point during his tenure here

Lol nice analogy, but I'm now convinced that there's a method to his farting.
Go Jonny, go!

Originally posted by verb1der:
Lol nice analogy, but I'm now convinced that there's a method to his farting.

it's clear he's been trolling us all year long.
i guarantee you we show 3 new looks this sunday and we'll be wondering where has that been?

like last sunday.. we hadn't run a qb sneak ALL YEAR and logically everyone says why not?
cause roman been trolling that's why lol.

he runs wr screens we go yes! then he stops for a few games.. he even gloated about saving that frank gore run against seattle last time for a good moment..

that's trolling
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I'm watching the replay of the Week 2 game in Seattle, and it is so frustrating to see how poorly our O played. Jonnydel/thl408, when you guys do your breakdown of the Seahawks later, could you go into what their D was able to do in that game to throttle our offense? Thanks.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Johnny or anyone for that matter.

Could you comment on the effectiveness of the 5-3 line versus the 6 man line. What were the advantages and will they continue to be an advantage against the SeaChickens or did Fangio tip his hand a bit too early.

Not sure what you mean about Fangio tipping his hand early. Was there an article I haven't read yet? The 6 man line, at least the way Seattle runs it, makes it harder to run between the G and T because they're able to essentially combine a 4-3 front with DT's and DE's and a 3-4 with the OLB's. 4-3 teams are harder to run between the G's where 3-4 are harder to run on the edges. Seattle tries to combine the best of both. However, it means that if you can break the initial LOS and get a lineman on a LB it can go for a big gain. The 3-4 look we give allows for more options from a defensive standpoint, whereas teh 6-2 front Seattle runs pretty much gives only a few options for a defense.

Ignore the tipping the hand comment, in hind site I think it applies more to offensive coordinators not show schemes to upcoming opposing players to have an advantage over the opposing defense. So not really applicable in this situation As without Fangio implementing that defensive adjustment maybe they don't win.

Thanks for breaking down the Seattle D.

I was actually want to hear comments on Fangio switching to a 5-3 defensive formation versus the 6 man line that they had run previous games (as noted by Harbs in his presser). Do you all think a 5-3 with Brooks playing the middle line backer be an effective D versus the SeaChickens to slow down/stop Lynch.

p.s. sorry for my ignorance
Originally posted by ace52:
I'm watching the replay of the Week 2 game in Seattle, and it is so frustrating to see how poorly our O played. Jonnydel/thl408, when you guys do your breakdown of the Seahawks later, could you go into what their D was able to do in that game to throttle our offense? Thanks.

Yeah, I have to agree with this...except for the Carolina game. The first 26 minutes were very difficult to watch. I was surprised because I didn't see the game originally. I was hoping to see more consistent play. But really there was a lot of poor throws by Kap -- he looked out of rhythm. I liked that we tried to call a screen, a few short passes, a swing pass to Frank. But Kap simply could not connect.

3rd and 4, and we throw a 40 yarder in the air? Does that strike anyone else as reckless? I'm glad we made it. But I wish we had more reliable plays to call in that situation. Maybe I just don't get the chunk mentality. I grew up on the Linus security blanket of the WCO.

I don't know. I don't want to be a stink pot. Frank played well actually. I think the line did okay keeping the pressures down. And Carolina is very good.

We seem allergic to running curls and slants in the middle. Why jd? Maybe it's just an effort to keep the turnovers down. It's working.

Thank g*d for Phil Dawson. That's what I have to say.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM ]
The Saints had success against Seattle when they used bunch formations. The Legion of PEDs aren't able to grab and hold the first 7 yards off the LOS. Does anyone anticipate the Niners rolling with more bunch, 3-wide sets, and running from them quite a bit? Especially now that Tukafu is injured?
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The Saints had success against Seattle when they used bunch formations. The Legion of PEDs aren't able to grab and hold the first 7 yards off the LOS. Does anyone anticipate the Niners rolling with more bunch, 3-wide sets, and running from them quite a bit? Especially now that Tukafu is injured?

that is one of the things we had on the list to combat that. we did it more the 2nd match up with them and i think now with a good healthy trio (patton crab boldin) to go with vd we will use that more.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Adusoron:
jonnydel and thl408: Can you guys do some analysis of the plays in which CK7 went through progressions and or reset his feet after finding his initial read covered and hit another WR? Jonnydel alluded to this in his opening post.

Do either of you have any film analysis on how our run game could/should take advantage of Seattle's defensive alignment (single high, 6-2 front)? Also, do either of you have any film grabs from week 14 that demonstrate how we compacted and trapped Wilson in the pocket and limited him to 1 rush for 3 yards (a critical factor in that game, IMO)?

Thanks you guys. It's terrific reading your threads and posts.

Here's some good stuff from Kap.

This is on the 49ers' first drive of the 2nd half.

Below:
49ers: Follow concept (zone buster)
CAR: It's like a half man, half zone look(?) More later.

Below: Crabs is lined up on top by himself. Slot is VD, Boldin is the yellow route. VD's route is designed to move the zone defender in order for Boldin's route to find a soft spot, and a throwing lane for Kap. This is different than hi-low because the routes are run at the same depth. It is a horizontal stretch at the safety level (behind LBs). It's not a fast developing route combo. Boldin has to find a throwing lane.

Below: Kap's first read is Crabs. It's press man coverage, and the CB is on Crabs' hip pocket with a LB playing the hook zone.

Below: Kap's second read is VD. That's not the key route. Shouldn't really expect it to be open. Good thing about this route combo is it keeps the QB's eyes in the same area of the field. Into Kap's view comes Boldin, following VD.

Below: He's quickly moved off of Crabs and is adjusting his sight to VD right here.

Below: Kap steps into a beautiful pocket to buy time.

Below: Getting behind the LBs and in front of the safties is key for VD/Boldin. They also start off bunched, so they have to come apart. Oline did well here. 16 yard gain.

About the defense. 2 deep safties, then 3 at the intermediate and 1 at the shallow. It looks like they hit their landmarks on this play. It's like CAR wants to take away the intermediate depth route on this play. However, the unaccounted for CB on Crabs is tight man coverage as he was about to follow Crabs on an inside breaking route.

Climbing a pocket without looking at the pocket.

Multiple reads.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:41 AM ]
  • thl408
A key 3rd down conversion to extend a drive that led to the FG to make it 23-10.

49ers: Mesh concept (man buster)
CAR: cover1 (man coverage, 1 deep safety)

This route combination should work against this coverage.

Below: Crabs is lined out wide. Boldin in the slot. They will criss cross to create the mesh and pick off a defender to create separation.

Below: That's Kassim Osgood pass blocking Greg Hardy. Moving the pocket so that's okay. The pick is created by Crabs. Boldin is open.

Boldin's hands doe.

The play: Moving the pocket and getting a good route combo versus the coverage. If the 49ers didn't convert here, CAR gets the ball back with good field position.

• thl408
Here is one way the 49ers defend against the mesh, or rub route.

This is CAR's opening drive. Aikman talked about this play during the telecast, but in case you were whopping and hollering.

CAR: Mesh concept
49ers: cover1

Below: 49ers will come with a 5 man blitz. In theory, this concept will work to get someone open (route combos at the top of screen). Brock and Willis play this perfectly and don't get flagged.

Below: If the WRs want to get close, then everybody group hug! No separation. No speed coming out of the criss cross action.

Below: This play was shown in detail during the telecast as Aikman mentioned the disrupted timing of the routes caused by Brock and Willis.

Willis' hands doe.

The other way to defend the mesh concept is to play with a cushion, then switch coverage assignments after the criss cross, then continue with man coverage.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Adusoron:
jonnydel and thl408: Can you guys do some analysis of the plays in which CK7 went through progressions and or reset his feet after finding his initial read covered and hit another WR? Jonnydel alluded to this in his opening post.

Do either of you have any film analysis on how our run game could/should take advantage of Seattle's defensive alignment (single high, 6-2 front)? Also, do either of you have any film grabs from week 14 that demonstrate how we compacted and trapped Wilson in the pocket and limited him to 1 rush for 3 yards (a critical factor in that game, IMO)?

Thanks you guys. It's terrific reading your threads and posts.

Check the week 14 thread post #146. Brooks is very instrumental in keeping RW in the pocket and very importantly preventing him from rolling right comfortably. His assignment is to be very disciplined in his rush lane to RW's right.

Also, post #279. Brooks is blitzing (versus the right tackle) but mainly keeping contain. He failed at contain here, but made RW initially go backwards and not horizontally. Tough throwing, going backwards.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176105-analysis-seahawks-game-coaches-film/page10/
  • thl408
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by ace52:

Yeah, I have to agree with this...except for the Carolina game. The first 26 minutes were very difficult to watch. I was surprised because I didn't see the game originally. I was hoping to see more consistent play. But really there was a lot of poor throws by Kap -- he looked out of rhythm. I liked that we tried to call a screen, a few short passes, a swing pass to Frank. But Kap simply could not connect.

3rd and 4, and we throw a 40 yarder in the air? Does that strike anyone else as reckless? I'm glad we made it. But I wish we had more reliable plays to call in that situation. Maybe I just don't get the chunk mentality. I grew up on the Linus security blanket of the WCO.

I don't know. I don't want to be a stink pot. Frank played well actually. I think the line did okay keeping the pressures down. And Carolina is very good.

We seem allergic to running curls and slants in the middle. Why jd? Maybe it's just an effort to keep the turnovers down. It's working.

Thank g*d for Phil Dawson. That's what I have to say.

There were a couple slants versus CAR. The slant is available if two things happen. The CB plays with outside leverage and allows an inside break for the slant route, and no LB can be in the passing lane. Both these plays came on the TD drive to close the 1st half.

Below:
2Q 2:29 2nd & 10
49ers: mesh on each side
CAR: blitz 5, cover1 man

Below: Kap is in his wind up even though there is no passing lane since the LB is coming out to cover VD's shallow out. Anticipating Boldin being open. Not sure what the CB on Boldin is doing as he actually takes a bad step and back peddles. The CB at the bottom of the screen is pressing tight on Crabs.

Below: One misstep on the CB playing over the top. VD clears the passing lane for Boldin by taking his LB out of the lane. 14 yard gain.

Below: Same drive. This empty backfield 5-wide formation looks familiar to CAR because GB got burned with it for a VD touchdown. GB was in tampa2 (cover3). CAR will come with cover4 to prevent from getting outnumbered on vertical routes.

Below: Three defenders give their attention to VD running the go route. Vance, at the top of the screen, get no love.

The play: 15 yard gain.

[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM ]
Yo jonny I always read your posts, thx for the knowledge. It's so easy to see why we struggled w/o Crabtree now.
man its crazy how open vance was, they didnt even cover him. dude needs to work on his hands in the offseason and he can come out of the gates as a big surprise target if he keeps getting "covered" like this
Share 49ersWebzone