There are 217 users in the forums

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Not sure what you mean about Fangio tipping his hand early. Was there an article I haven't read yet? The 6 man line, at least the way Seattle runs it, makes it harder to run between the G and T because they're able to essentially combine a 4-3 front with DT's and DE's and a 3-4 with the OLB's. 4-3 teams are harder to run between the G's where 3-4 are harder to run on the edges. Seattle tries to combine the best of both. However, it means that if you can break the initial LOS and get a lineman on a LB it can go for a big gain. The 3-4 look we give allows for more options from a defensive standpoint, whereas teh 6-2 front Seattle runs pretty much gives only a few options for a defense.

I believe he is talking about the 5-3 front (Brooks moving to MLB between Bowman and Willis) that Fangio used on the goal line. It was an un-scouted look that we've never used under Harbaugh.

"We've never shown a 5-3 look," Harbaugh continued. "By taking Ahmad and moving him into the center to create the 5-3, that was what was unscouted. We had not shown that and I thought it was a great move by (defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio.
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24908700/49ers-fangio-has-all-right-moves

BTW, awesome write-ups jonnydel!
jonnydel and thl408: Can you guys do some analysis of the plays in which CK7 went through progressions and or reset his feet after finding his initial read covered and hit another WR? Jonnydel alluded to this in his opening post.

Do either of you have any film analysis on how our run game could/should take advantage of Seattle's defensive alignment (single high, 6-2 front)? Also, do either of you have any film grabs from week 14 that demonstrate how we compacted and trapped Wilson in the pocket and limited him to 1 rush for 3 yards (a critical factor in that game, IMO)?

Thanks you guys. It's terrific reading your threads and posts.
[ Edited by Adusoron on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Adusoron:
jonnydel and thl408: Can you guys do some analysis of the plays in which CK7 went through progressions and or reset his feet after finding his initial read covered and hit another WR? Jonnydel alluded to this in his opening post.

Do either of you have any film analysis on how our run game could/should take advantage of Seattle's defensive alignment (single high, 6-2 front)? Also, do either of you have any film grabs from week 14 that demonstrate how we compacted and trapped Wilson in the pocket and limited him to 1 rush for 3 yards (a critical factor in that game, IMO)?

Thanks you guys. It's terrific reading your threads and posts.
Sure, here you go:1:51 left 2nd Qt. Big play here because it set up our first TD

Carolina had just run a cover 2 zone defense on the previous play, Kap scrambled and tried to throw it to Gore on the sideline but it was incomplete. In counter, we then run a route combo vs a cover 2 zone defense. It's in out/in read. We're trying to hit Boldin or VD against the deep safety. By running the two streak routes if the defense is player cover 2 zone it makes the safety choose either the in or out route to defend. The DIG on the backside is to hold the backside safety so he can't jump on the inside streak route. However, Carolina changed their D, they show a cover 2 zone look pre-snap, but at the snap they switch to a cover 3 zone.

You see the FS move to the middle 3rd. The SS heads to the flat but peels off his zone when he see's the 2 deep routes go by.

You see Carolina has 3 defenders in position to jump towards any of the routes. It'd be a long throw to either of those guys so the D is in position to cover their routes.

Kap then finds Crabtree over the deep middle as he had inside leverage on his DIG route against the deep 3rd zone defender.

From the endzone you see how Kap is looking first to the outside streak.

Now to the inside streak

He then moves to Crabtree as his 3rd read. Notice how he's reset his feet in good position to throw the ball.

He throws the ball right as he's getting nailed, the ball sails a little high and Crabs makes a terrific catch. But this is really good play by Kap to read the defense(he did have to turn his head away from the defense for a half second which slowed his read down) go through his progressions and reset his feet to hit Crabtree while knowing he was going to take a big hit. That's big league QB play.
Go jonny go go! goooo jonny go go go!

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not much to criticized here. Very good result. Kaep as of right now is a bit unconventional in his drop back and throw recognition and sequence. Nice subtle slide away from the DE rush for a clear throwing lane. I think if Kaep can get the ball off a bit sooner, Patton would probably get a chance to run after the catch and maybe slip the safety's tackle.

He wasn't concerned with making a big play, he was only concerned with the first down. So he waited for him to get wide open, then threw to the back shoulder.
Great posts guys! Love the analysis!

He throws the ball right as he's getting nailed, the ball sails a little high and Crabs makes a terrific catch. But this is really good play by Kap to read the defense(he did have to turn his head away from the defense for a half second which slowed his read down) go through his progressions and reset his feet to hit Crabtree while knowing he was going to take a big hit. That's big league QB play.

The ball didn't sail on him. He had to throw it over the linebacker (58) who was standing right in the path and jumped to knock it down. If he throws it any lower, the linebacker would have knocked the ball away or worse.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The ball didn't sail on him. He had to throw it over the linebacker (58) who was standing right in the path and jumped to knock it down. If he throws it any lower, the linebacker would have knocked the ball away or worse.

I agree with this. I will go so far as to say that is one of the most impressive throws of his career. Stood tall in the pocket with 3 defenders closing in on him, took the hit, and delivered a strike downfield in a spot where only Crabtree could get to it. It was a thing of beauty. He's starting to get it.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Here's how Roman setup Gore's big run in the 4th quarter:

Frank ends up 1-1 with the backup safety and the rest you know. This was awesome to see Roman set this play up by running complimenting plays out of the same formation, shifts, motions personnel packages and situations. Great call and execution.

Here's my problem with Roman... was this good game planning? Sure. But that's what I expect out of an NFL OC, and more.

Using similar formations to run many different plays was discovered more than 30 years ago. Roman is ok I guess, but it always feels like we don't score as much as we should for, you know, having All-pro linemen, All-pro TE, Tremendous WRs, All-pro RB and a stud QB

I think we lack a speed threat on the outside to evolve to the next level
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM ]
I love these breakdowns. They make me want to karate chop something.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Because of jonnydel I have changed my opinion on Roman, we need to keep him!

Is it possible that Greg puts together great play designs, but brain farts when calling a game? He's like the anti-clutch QB of OCs. He's a chubby Tony Romo.
Originally posted by KungFuJoe:
Is it possible that Greg puts together great play designs, but brain farts when calling a game? He's like the anti-clutch QB of OCs. He's a chubby Tony Romo.

That's exactly it IMO.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That's exactly it IMO.

But name one offensive coordinator who doesn't have brain farts? I'm pretty sure they're all flawed to an extent.
But name one offensive coordinator who doesn't have brain farts? I'm pretty sure they're all flawed to an extent.

the problem isn't the fart, its when he has to let one rip.
if you fart inside of a movie theater during die hard.. no harm no foul
but if you decide to let a huge one rip during schindler's list.. we have a problem.

the playbook is perfect imo. the game depends on the flow the flow determines the execution. and he's been way better these past few weeks than any point during his tenure here
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That's exactly it IMO.

This is true. But earlier in the year we were struggling with consistency and short-yardage situations. Our 3 and out % was unusually high for a team with a winning record. The offense was feast or famine. We'd have a quick strike drive capped off with a big play, then follow it up with multiple 3 and outs. We've been far more consistent during this winning streak. We're sustaining long drives more often. It's very promising.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone