LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love this thread. I feel like my football IQ has improved exponentially because of jonnydel.
beef or chicken nachos? good breakdown again
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Johnny:
I have several questions about the Panther game.
1. How is Patton doing and do you think he is getting Kaeps attention as well as Roman?
2. How did vance McDonald doing?
3. How will SF handle Tuku's injury?
4. Is Hunter able to take Gore's place next year or is it going to be Lattimore?
5. How did Aldon Smith and J. Smith do in the defense?
6. Who was our best CB in this game?
7. Sounds like our dline is doing well. Does Jerod-Eddie have the talent to be a good NT or is it Tomsula? How does he compare to Dorsey and I. Williams? If these players are doing well it does not seem likely that SF will be looking for a NT in the draft.
8. Any thoughts on Daryl Morris? He seemed to get into the game once or twice?
9. How did our special teams play?
10. Did Lemonier get into the game? How are he and Skuta playing?

great questions! I love it, I'll try and answer the best I can:
1. Patton is doing well, he seems sharp on his cuts, what he does a good job of is sinking his hips for his sharp breaks. When a receiver wants to really make a quick COD they need to sink their hips at the top of the route so they slow rapidly and cut rapidly. This is what VD doesn't do well on his breaks a lot of the time. He "rounds" off a lot of routes. But, VD makes up for it by making a lot of his routes look the same and by setting the defenders up well by their angles.

Patton has also shown a knack for "working" the zone. What I mean is, a lot of routes in the WCO aren't sight adjusted but they do ask certain routes to "work it" in the notes. This means they slide one way or the other to sit in the "soft" spot of the zone. He's showing good progress there. I think by next year he'll be a very reliable no. 3 target. Def better than Williams was or depending on how Boldin's negotiations go, he could be our no. 2. Though I think there will be some growing pains at a no. 2 spot.

2. McD is doing ok. He's primarily being used as a checkdown/blocker. I don't think the staff has a lot of confidence in him as a playmaker. His blocking is good at times, just ok at others and poor on a few occasions.

3.I think Dixon will step in for Tukuafu. This one will hurt, Tukuafu really was a powerful run blocker. Dixon is an average blocker at best. He'll do ok at times, but he's not going to go blow up a LB like Tukuafu or Miller did. I think we'll end up using a lot more "12" personnel than we did before, with 2 back sets only used to set up better blocking angles.

4. Hunter hasn't shown the knack for having the power "burst" that Frank does. Frank finds a hole and is able to turn on his "power", Hunter has to get going to run with any power. Hunter also isn't as decisive as Gore, he'll hesitate sometimes, or at times pick the wrong lane. Frank is also always looking to set up his blockers whereas Hunter looks for a hole and then accelerates through it. I think Lattimore is really the future, Hunter is much more of a "change of pace" type of runner.

5. Aldon and J. Smith did a really good job. Aldon plays with such power it's remarkable. There are so many plays that he makes that will never show up on a stat sheet. He absolutely wears down the LT. So many plays you'll see the LT get pushed back or see his arms flailing upwards as Aldon bull rushes. So many of the sacks our other guys get are because Aldon is getting doubled on almost every passing play. When he's not doubled the QB has no more than 2.5 seconds before he gets there.

6. Not sure who I would say our best CB was in the game. They all got burned as some point and they all made plays at others. I think they all played really well overall, I would say Brown and Cox played the 2 best games with Brock bringing up the rear. Brock struggled in his technique played a "press" in a cover 2 zone, which we opened the game with and then backed out as Carolina took advantage of that look a few times.

7. I think it's a little of both. You just have to look at what we do with guys when they get here and how our guys do when they leave to see how much coaching affects them. Think of Aubrayo Franklin, Sopoaga, and Jean-Francois. Those guys were good/great here, they got big free agent deals and Franklin never held a longtime starting spot again, Sopoaga isn't even heard of, and Jean-Francois is a role player with the Colts after being a quality player as a 7th round pick for us. Dorsey was seen as a bust with the Chiefs and now he's an anchor for us, Ian Williams was a late round pick who won the starting job, same with Dobbs and TJE were both later round picks. What I see from TJE is that he's ahead of where RJF and Dobbs were/are. That's why I think it's a little of both.

8. Didn't notice D-Mo

9. ST, did well, didn't do a good job of staying in our lanes during one punt to Ted Ginn, other than that we did well.

10. Both Lemonier and Skuta played a handful of snaps each. They played well when they were in. I think Lemonier doesn't get as many reps because he's still learning the details of the OLB position. Aldon came in because he's a special type of pass rusher. Lemonier is much more of a speed rush type of guy. I do think Lemonier has a better speed rush than Aldon, but doesn't play with the same power. I do think the two could become a dangerous combo in the future.

Hope that answers some things well.
Originally posted by lamontb:
beef or chicken nachos? good breakdown again

neither, ground turkey.....taco seasoned of course
  • thl408
jonnydel, the coach's film for the CAR is crapping out on me every time I try to access it. The Saints/Hawks game works fine, but when I try to look at the 49er game, no dice. Obviously you had it working on your system. Wondering if you are seeing the same thing. It's about 11:50am PST time right now.
I'd like to see more pump fakes against Seattle
Great questions and answers. I'm really looking forward to QP next year. I think he'll ball out.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
great questions! I love it, I'll try and answer the best I can:
1. Patton is doing well, he seems sharp on his cuts, what he does a good job of is sinking his hips for his sharp breaks. When a receiver wants to really make a quick COD they need to sink their hips at the top of the route so they slow rapidly and cut rapidly. This is what VD doesn't do well on his breaks a lot of the time. He "rounds" off a lot of routes. But, VD makes up for it by making a lot of his routes look the same and by setting the defenders up well by their angles.

Patton has also shown a knack for "working" the zone. What I mean is, a lot of routes in the WCO aren't sight adjusted but they do ask certain routes to "work it" in the notes. This means they slide one way or the other to sit in the "soft" spot of the zone. He's showing good progress there. I think by next year he'll be a very reliable no. 3 target. Def better than Williams was or depending on how Boldin's negotiations go, he could be our no. 2. Though I think there will be some growing pains at a no. 2 spot.

2. McD is doing ok. He's primarily being used as a checkdown/blocker. I don't think the staff has a lot of confidence in him as a playmaker. His blocking is good at times, just ok at others and poor on a few occasions.

3.I think Dixon will step in for Tukuafu. This one will hurt, Tukuafu really was a powerful run blocker. Dixon is an average blocker at best. He'll do ok at times, but he's not going to go blow up a LB like Tukuafu or Miller did. I think we'll end up using a lot more "12" personnel than we did before, with 2 back sets only used to set up better blocking angles.

4. Hunter hasn't shown the knack for having the power "burst" that Frank does. Frank finds a hole and is able to turn on his "power", Hunter has to get going to run with any power. Hunter also isn't as decisive as Gore, he'll hesitate sometimes, or at times pick the wrong lane. Frank is also always looking to set up his blockers whereas Hunter looks for a hole and then accelerates through it. I think Lattimore is really the future, Hunter is much more of a "change of pace" type of runner.

5. Aldon and J. Smith did a really good job. Aldon plays with such power it's remarkable. There are so many plays that he makes that will never show up on a stat sheet. He absolutely wears down the LT. So many plays you'll see the LT get pushed back or see his arms flailing upwards as Aldon bull rushes. So many of the sacks our other guys get are because Aldon is getting doubled on almost every passing play. When he's not doubled the QB has no more than 2.5 seconds before he gets there.

6. Not sure who I would say our best CB was in the game. They all got burned as some point and they all made plays at others. I think they all played really well overall, I would say Brown and Cox played the 2 best games with Brock bringing up the rear. Brock struggled in his technique played a "press" in a cover 2 zone, which we opened the game with and then backed out as Carolina took advantage of that look a few times.

7. I think it's a little of both. You just have to look at what we do with guys when they get here and how our guys do when they leave to see how much coaching affects them. Think of Aubrayo Franklin, Sopoaga, and Jean-Francois. Those guys were good/great here, they got big free agent deals and Franklin never held a longtime starting spot again, Sopoaga isn't even heard of, and Jean-Francois is a role player with the Colts after being a quality player as a 7th round pick for us. Dorsey was seen as a bust with the Chiefs and now he's an anchor for us, Ian Williams was a late round pick who won the starting job, same with Dobbs and TJE were both later round picks. What I see from TJE is that he's ahead of where RJF and Dobbs were/are. That's why I think it's a little of both.

8. Didn't notice D-Mo

9. ST, did well, didn't do a good job of staying in our lanes during one punt to Ted Ginn, other than that we did well.

10. Both Lemonier and Skuta played a handful of snaps each. They played well when they were in. I think Lemonier doesn't get as many reps because he's still learning the details of the OLB position. Aldon came in because he's a special type of pass rusher. Lemonier is much more of a speed rush type of guy. I do think Lemonier has a better speed rush than Aldon, but doesn't play with the same power. I do think the two could become a dangerous combo in the future.

Hope that answers some things well.

Thank you so much Jonny, I appreciate your insights and your objectivity. It is most helpful to me. Any thoughts on how the Niners will approach Seattle? Also, I noticed that the Niners oline were doing silent snaps in the panther game. Seems like they were dealing the crowd noise in Carolina and getting some practice for Seattle. Any thoughts on how they will handle the seattle noise? What do you think will be the pros and cons of the championship game?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SoCold:
jonny where did you play ball?

The prestigious Newberg High school haha!

no college just a film junky uh
I'm impressed

nice work
Originally posted by FourNine49:
brilliant!

Iupati made Keuchly look like a school girl

I think he was lucky a hold wasn't called actually. I remember thinking that as I watched the replay during the game.

Originally posted by thl408:
jonnydel, the coach's film for the CAR is crapping out on me every time I try to access it. The Saints/Hawks game works fine, but when I try to look at the 49er game, no dice. Obviously you had it working on your system. Wondering if you are seeing the same thing. It's about 11:50am PST time right now.

weird, I have no problems streaming right now. that sucks bro
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Thank you so much Jonny, I appreciate your insights and your objectivity. It is most helpful to me. Any thoughts on how the Niners will approach Seattle? Also, I noticed that the Niners oline were doing silent snaps in the panther game. Seems like they were dealing the crowd noise in Carolina and getting some practice for Seattle. Any thoughts on how they will handle the seattle noise? What do you think will be the pros and cons of the championship game?

They did alright in the second half. The first half they had a tough time adjusting to all of Carolina's blitzes. Carolina sent a lot of different kinds of blitzes at the O-line because of the crowd noise. It makes it harder for two reasons:
1. The T's either have to look back in at the ball, or wait for the defender to move to know when the ball has been snapped making them either have to give up their ability to scan and detect potentials rushers/defenders or give up reaction time to the defender.
2. It makes it harder for the C to call out protection changes to adjust for any blitzing defenders. I think that's what happened in Carolina. However, Seattle doesn't bring a lot of weird blitzes because their 6-2 formation on most plays doesn't allow them to disguise much. They pretty much have to come from where they line up.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I say we start a campaign to have jonnydel replace Greg Roman next season.
Here's how Roman setup Gore's big run in the 4th quarter:

Frank ends up 1-1 with the backup safety and the rest you know. This was awesome to see Roman set this play up by running complimenting plays out of the same formation, shifts, motions personnel packages and situations. Great call and execution.

Here's my problem with Roman... was this good game planning? Sure. But that's what I expect out of an NFL OC, and more.

Using similar formations to run many different plays was discovered more than 30 years ago. Roman is ok I guess, but it always feels like we don't score as much as we should for, you know, having All-pro linemen, All-pro TE, Tremendous WRs, All-pro RB and a stud QB
  • thl408
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Here's how Roman setup Gore's big run in the 4th quarter:

Frank ends up 1-1 with the backup safety and the rest you know. This was awesome to see Roman set this play up by running complimenting plays out of the same formation, shifts, motions personnel packages and situations. Great call and execution.

Here's my problem with Roman... was this good game planning? Sure. But that's what I expect out of an NFL OC, and more.

Using similar formations to run many different plays was discovered more than 30 years ago. Roman is ok I guess, but it always feels like we don't score as much as we should for, you know, having All-pro linemen, All-pro TE, Tremendous WRs, All-pro RB and a stud QB

Please consider the defense as well. That CAR defense is no joke and played like it all season. Putting up 23 points is more than any team has all season when visiting CAR. This includes Brees and Brady.
Share 49ersWebzone