There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

man i hope our staff stays together.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's how Roman setup Gore's big run in the 4th quarter:

This is in the 3rd quarter, 3rd and 1. We bring in our "jumbo" package with Snyder as the 2nd TE, we motion Boldin across the formation.

As Boldin runs by, he taps Davis who then shifts across the formation as well.

We run a QB sneak for a first down.

In the 4th quarter it's another 3rd and 1. We again come out in a "jumbo" package with Snyder as the 2nd TE, and again we motion Boldin across the formation.
. (snipped)
As he runs by he again taps VD who then motions across the formation(look familiar?)

Instead of a QB sneak, we run "97 power". We're going to collapse the line down at the "7" hole and pull Boone around with Dixon getting a kickout block on the LOS. Because we had run the QB sneak earlier out if this exact same situation, formation and shift, Carolina anticipates QB sneak and the DT's collapse in. This gives our guys(mainly Staley and Goodwin) great angles for their blocks.

You see how aggressively Carolina looks for the sneak as the LB's and DL all crash the middle.

The crash allows Iupati to get off his block and get to the 2nd level on Keuchly, Dixon and Boone go for their blocks.

You see how all the D-lineman are out of the play in a big ball in the middle. Iupati holds his block on Keuchly and Boone and Dixon get good kickout blocks. This opens up a big lane for Frank.

Frank ends up 1-1 with the backup safety and the rest you know. This was awesome to see Roman set this play up by running complimenting plays out of the same formation, shifts, motions personnel packages and situations. Great call and execution.

This ^ is a nice breakdown. I like how you tie in previous plays that set up a certain play later in the game. When I watched this play (Gore 39 yarder), I was wondering why the DT lined up over Iupati/Staley went down so easy. Now I know he was crashing down to stop the QB sneak. Wrong guess on the CAR defense's part. Nice playcalling to set this up. I remember someone here asking why the 49ers don't run QB sneaks. They were saving it for the playoffs! The most basic of plays, saved for the playoffs.
Originally posted by thl408:
This ^ is a nice breakdown. I like how you tie in previous plays that set up a certain play later in the game. When I watched this play (Gore 39 yarder), I was wondering why the DT lined up over Iupati/Staley went down so easy. Now I know he was crashing down to stop the QB sneak. Wrong guess on the CAR defense's part. Nice playcalling to set this up. I remember someone here asking why the 49ers don't run QB sneaks. They were saving it for the playoffs! The most basic of plays, saved for the playoffs.

lol
I thought Roman is worthless?
Because of jonnydel I have changed my opinion on Roman, we need to keep him!
Originally posted by verb1der:

He isn't nearly as bad as the Zone thinks. We have had SO much success in his three years here. Look what him and Harbs did for Alex Smith for crying out loud. There is a reason he is a canidate for several coaching vacancies. He knows what he is doing. Using the offensive coordinator as a scapegoat for any offensive struggles seems like a common theme across many fanbases.
Originally posted by sacniner:

He isn't nearly as bad as the Zone thinks. We have had SO much success in his three years here. Look what him and Harbs did for Alex Smith for crying out loud. There is a reason he is a canidate for several coaching vacancies. He knows what he is doing. Using the offensive coordinator as a scapegoat for any offensive struggles seems like a common theme across many fanbases.

He should know the Seattle defense better than anyone, this being the third time this season. I will be highly disappointed if he hasn't learned from our previous meetings.
Originally posted by GORO:
The 49ers have started their winning streak since Harbaugh wore cleats and Jonnydel and TH1408 have given us game analysis and previews. Keep it up!

How has Perish Cox performed in the absence of Rogers? Should 49ers keep him in that role?

Its weird how we all have our same superstitions. I have a certain item of clothing I wear for playoff games. We are 5-0 when I wear it. I got it confused with something else during the super bowl and we lost.

Seems he always gets caught chasing his assignment. Even Olsen on that catch down the left seam.
Johnny:
I have several questions about the Panther game.
1. How is Patton doing and do you think he is getting Kaeps attention as well as Roman?
2. How did vance McDonald doing?
3. How will SF handle Tuku's injury?
4. Is Hunter able to take Gore's place next year or is it going to be Lattimore?
5. How did Aldon Smith and J. Smith do in the defense?
6. Who was our best CB in this game?
7. Sounds like our dline is doing well. Does Jerod-Eddie have the talent to be a good NT or is it Tomsula? How does he compare to Dorsey and I. Williams? If these players are doing well it does not seem likely that SF will be looking for a NT in the draft.
8. Any thoughts on Daryl Morris? He seemed to get into the game once or twice?
9. How did our special teams play?
10. Did Lemonier get into the game? How are he and Skuta playing?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Its weird how we all have our same superstitions. I have a certain item of clothing I wear for playoff games. We are 5-0 when I wear it. I got it confused with something else during the super bowl and we lost.

Seems he always gets caught chasing his assignment. Even Olsen on that catch down the left seam.

Please wear it the next three weekends!
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by sacniner:

He should know the Seattle defense better than anyone, this being the third time this season. I will be highly disappointed if he hasn't learned from our previous meetings.

I agree guys.

I really like how he calls for certain plays to set up other plays later in the game (especially in the run game). Maybe that's the reason why our offense seems like it stalls throughout the game and then when it matters most...BOOM, they get it done.
jonny where did you play ball?
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by GORO:
The 49ers have started their winning streak since Harbaugh wore cleats and Jonnydel and TH1408 have given us game analysis and previews. Keep it up!

How has Perish Cox performed in the absence of Rogers? Should 49ers keep him in that role?

LOL, didn't think about my breakdowns adding to our superstitions... my "it's only weird if it doesn't work" thing is sunday nachos. We don't always win when I make them, but we almost always lose when I don't. The games I didn't make nachos for this year, Seattle - week 2, did the 2nd time though, Indy and NO, Carolina I made them, but it a completely different way than I normally do..... I'll take the blame for those games this year....
Originally posted by SoCold:
jonny where did you play ball?

The prestigious Newberg High school haha!
jonnydel for OC