LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Analysis from the Carolina Panthers coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not much to criticized here. Very good result. Kaep as of right now is a bit unconventional in his drop back and throw recognition and sequence. Nice subtle slide away from the DE rush for a clear throwing lane. I think if Kaep can get the ball off a bit sooner, Patton would probably get a chance to run after the catch and maybe slip the safety's tackle.

He wasn't concerned with making a big play, he was only concerned with the first down. So he waited for him to get wide open, then threw to the back shoulder.

Doesn't make sense for him to wait. As soon as he sees the CB looking back almost squatting on the route he should release the ball to Patton so the pass can beat the closing safety on top. Then it need not be a back shoulder pass.

What you are seeing from Kaep is not a back shoulder pass. It's Kaep trying to throw it more to the outside, to the sideline, to get it away from the closing safety. Had he got the chance to throw it early (he was a bit late because he had to slide away from the DE), the pass would be to the inside to Patton with enough time before the safety can get to it.

When Patton didn't see the ball in the air as he was getting past the CB, he was smart enough to sit in the zone and waited for Kaep to throw him the ball. If Patton had kept on running up field he would have ran closer to the safety, in essence giving the safety even a better chance to make a play on the ball.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM ]
CAR was def trying to stop VD. Good thing Niners have way more weapons
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I think this was posted already:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/16/5309158/nfl-playoffs-2014-panthers-49ers-seahawks-conference-campionship

Mainly Panthers related, but the interesting thing I noticed is the breakdown of one of the Panther's sacks about midway through and relates to our OLine blocking.

Goowdin goes to help Iupati even thoug hIupati is fine and lets Keuchly free down the middle. At the same time Anthony Davis comes in to help Boone, who is also fine, and gives Johnson a free run at Kap.

Now the Oline picked it up later, but these decisions have been a recurring theme through the season, particularly early in the season, and we need them eliminated if we are going to beat Seattle.
Doesn't make sense for him to wait. As soon as he sees the CB looking back almost squatting on the route he should release the ball to Patton so the pass can beat the closing safety on top. Then it need not be a back shoulder pass.

What you are seeing from Kaep is not a back shoulder pass. It's Kaep trying to throw it more to the outside, to the sideline, to get it away from the closing safety. Had he got the chance to throw it early (he was a bit late because he had to slide away from the DE), the pass would be to the inside to Patton with enough time before the safety can get to it.

When Patton didn't see the ball in the air as he was getting past the CB, he was smart enough to sit in the zone and waited for Kaep to throw him the ball. If Patton had kept on running up field he would have ran closer to the safety, in essence giving the safety even a better chance to make a play on the ball.

The other issue is the pocket. The DE is blowing up the middle of the pocket, so Kap takes an extra hop to the left to make sure he is clear of all that trouble. The extra hop makes it very difficult to launch a pass early. Kap had to release the ball in rhythm with his movements. What you are saying might have happened if there was a nice pocket to sit in for two seconds. Everything changes when the pocket collapses in the first half second.
He checks that down to Gore - $$$.

The other issue is the pocket. The DE is blowing up the middle of the pocket, so Kap takes an extra hop to the left to make sure he is clear of all that trouble. The extra hop makes it very difficult to launch a pass early. Kap had to release the ball in rhythm with his movements. What you are saying might have happened if there was a nice pocket to sit in for two seconds. Everything changes when the pocket collapses in the first half second.

Do we know where Kap's eyes are first? Was he looking at the underneath combo route which was the route that froze Patten's DB in the first place.

Also, check out the swing pass at the bottom of the screen....WIDE eff'n OPEN!!!!!

Man, I wish we really crush some of these quarter and deep third coverage teams with more swing passes. Those are nearly guarantee 4 yards.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think this was posted already:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/16/5309158/nfl-playoffs-2014-panthers-49ers-seahawks-conference-campionship

Mainly Panthers related, but the interesting thing I noticed is the breakdown of one of the Panther's sacks about midway through and relates to our OLine blocking.

Goowdin goes to help Iupati even thoug hIupati is fine and lets Keuchly free down the middle. At the same time Anthony Davis comes in to help Boone, who is also fine, and gives Johnson a free run at Kap.

Now the Oline picked it up later, but these decisions have been a recurring theme through the season, particularly early in the season, and we need them eliminated if we are going to beat Seattle.

Those were delayed blitzes by Carolina that the Oline didn't recognize. Goodwin went to help Iupati because Keuchly made it look like he was playing coverage.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Joecool:

Do we know where Kap's eyes are first? Was he looking at the underneath combo route which was the route that froze Patten's DB in the first place.

Also, check out the swing pass at the bottom of the screen....WIDE eff'n OPEN!!!!!

Man, I wish we really crush some of these quarter and deep third coverage teams with more swing passes. Those are nearly guarantee 4 yards.

It's difficult to tell who was Kap's first read on this play as the end zone camera is of Kap's back. It's definitely to his left though. Whether it's Boldin (who got his route defeated by running into the LB) or QP on the sideline is unknown.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:

It's difficult to tell who was Kap's first read on this play as the end zone camera is of Kap's back. It's definitely to his left though. Whether it's Boldin (who got his route defeated by running into the LB) or QP on the sideline is unknown.

It was the underneath route. Look at his head right before he throws. He makes a sudden turn to Patten. Great job by Kap on moving the defense...in this case...it was forcing that CB to freeze on the underneath routes.

This is what Brady does so well and other elite QB's. They already have a predetermined receiver but KNOW where the second option is if the defense moves to the first option that ALL elite QB's stare at. Kap would have thrown the underneath if it were open but he also knew it was cover 2 and Patton is open if the underneath is not.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I thought Roman is worthless?

I've been saying this for a while now... I hated Roman's calls for the majority of the season. Once Crabtree returned, I said he seemed to have gotten better. That hasn't changed.

Jonny and Thl are you going to give us your thoughts about how the game will play out, today?
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Jan 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM ]
Roman better call his A+ game this Sunday.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Roman better call his A+ game this Sunday.

I'm hoping for an A++ review of Roman from Harbaugh next week.
we getting one of these for Seattle?
  • thl408
Originally posted by defenderDX:
we getting one of these for Seattle?

As much as I like watching kittens dying and babies tortured, I still can't re-watch this game. Still hurts bro. By the time I can muster the stomach to watch it again, do we really want to re-live this game?

Share 49ersWebzone