There are 159 users in the forums

Be the Expert: How do we overcome these challenges vs. Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Don't have your quarterback playing in Seattle on his 6th and 12th career start. Check.

That's kind of hard to believe, the last time we played there Kap was only in his 12th start. Now this is what, his 29th? I can see that being kind of a big difference.
[ Edited by swayze on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:
1) Lock-down secondary. Seattle has the best secondary that the NFL has seen in a long, long time. They lock down receivers, even good receivers, with man to man, press coverage, which allows them to commit more players to the line of scrimmage. How do you see our receivers getting open? Which leads us to the biggest concern...

2) Kaepernick's inability to go through progressions. When your prime receiver(s) is locked up, the QB has to move through his progressions to other options. This has been an achilles heel of Kaepernick, who seems to panic when his first option is covered. I've been hoping they would establish some easy check-downs to backs, but that's not happening much. How do you think Kap will responds when he looks out and sees his first/second options covered?

3) The inability to audible. The crowd noise will likely prevent audibles from the line of scrimmage. Hand signals are tough to count on. The Seahawks seem to play off the noise by shifting though different defensive sets before the snap. How do you think the 49ers handle this?

4) Snap count. Related to the above. When you can't hear the QB's snap call, you have to be looking over at the center/QB. My lineman friends tell me that's a disadvantage because it shaves time off your release, when you are looking sideways. The only thing I've heard to counter it is timed snaps, but those are iffy.

5) Lack of fullback. Let's assume Tukuafu is out...I assume Dixon will have the starting fullback role. At 230, he's not the 293 pound load of Tuke…Do you think he will be enough?

Thanks for your insights, and GO NINERS.

1. Go deep w/ Boldin/Crabtree/Patton/Davis and loosen up the press-coverage. Go shotgun with 2/3 WR's with a TE option. Have 2 WR's run a fly and have the TE either do an out/in/or curl. With 3 WR's sets in nickle/dime defenses do the same with another WR doing a deep curl. Have hot reads on blitzes. Play more sandlot and just let Kap execute.

2. Tell Kap to 1) run or 2) check-down quickly. Take the easy yards. There are so many missed opportunities with wide-open check downs and open running lanes. I don't think Kap does this because he panics. He always waits for the last moment for bigger plays to open up because he's aggressive and has a killer instinct. Occasionally he makes big plays because he waits, but he should make quicker decisions to run and check-down. The coaches tried to keep Kap from running more early in the season, but this isn't the time to keep the reigns on Kap. I blame a lot of this on the coaches.

3a. Take shots early to take the crowd out of the game. Bill Walsh always made it a point to execute long passes early specifically to take the crowd out of the game.
3b. Run a no-huddle or two-minute drill! (I doubt they do this because Harbaugh and Roman think they are too smart and like over-complicating things.) That's one way to take the crowd out of the game and keep the offense in control. Harbaugh/Roman outsmart themselves by always having the offense wait until the last second to react against defensive schemes. That lets the crowd noise build up. With a two-minute drill, the crowd really never gets into it. The Harbaugh/Roman system is over-complicated and too cute. They think they are chessmasters and try to make their offense chess players. The niners probably have the most talented players in the NFL and are often better playing sandlot football. Pete Carroll doesn't play chess. He let's his players play. He simplifies things. He blitzes and gambles at key moments. The niners would win a sandlot game if it weren't for Roman & Harbaugh.

4. Like point 3. If the niners simplified the offense and allowed Kap to run a 2-minute drill, they can design a simple strategy for quick snap counts. Unfortunately our coaching chessmasters will rather focus on super-complicated play designs to try to trick the defense with a double reverse pass to Joe Staley and be proud they were able to execute it. If you are Bill Walsh and you design complex plays and execute it's great. If you are not Bill Walsh and design complex plays it's bad because plays will be difficult to execute and even if you do execute it's not even that effective.

5. Dixon may not be as a good a blocker, but he'll be adequate.
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:

2) Kaepernick's inability to go through progressions. When your prime receiver(s) is locked up, the QB has to move through his progressions to other options. This has been an achilles heel of Kaepernick, who seems to panic when his first option is covered. I've been hoping they would establish some easy check-downs to backs, but that's not happening much. How do you think Kap will responds when he looks out and sees his first/second options covered?

What is this crap?

We have a thread every week that breaks down the game film. Those threads, every week, blast this non-sense to shreds.

We're not playing with one WR anymore, we have Crabs and Patton back. Paired up with Boldin, these receivers have all proven that they can go up and get the ball, even when interfered with (which is Seattle's game plan every week).

It comes down to the officials and the O-line.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
What is this crap?

We have a thread every week that breaks down the game film. Those threads, every week, blast this non-sense to shreds.

We're not playing with one WR anymore, we have Crabs and Patton back. Paired up with Boldin, these receivers have all proven that they can go up and get the ball, even when interfered with (which is Seattle's game plan every week).

He read it once on a Seahawks blog, so it must be true.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM ]
Quick hits over the middle !!!!!!!!

YAC ! YAC ! YAC !!!!!
If we win the toss, give Seattle the ball to start the game and force three and out or a turn over I think we can force their crowd out of the game. We just have to get up by 7-10 points and force that putrid offense to play from behind or close which will take Lynch out the game that way. Also a nice long drive to start the second half would be almost damning for them if we have the lead.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM ]
Spike all the Clink stadium kegs with a sleeping agent. LOL...whole stadium of sleeping fans.

I'm just kidding by the way.
[ Edited by KungFuJoe on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:47 PM ]
no 2 when kaep's first read is not there he takes off running, not scrambling to buy time, but running to gain yards. kaep needs to stop panicking.
Originally posted by swayze:
Don't have your quarterback playing in Seattle on his 6th and 12th career start. Check.

That's kind of hard to believe, the last time we played there Kap was only in his 12th start. Now this is what, his 29th? I can see that being kind of a big difference.

Good point, and plus we are really healthy on offense right now. I like our chances.
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
no 2 when kaep's first read is not there he takes off running, not scrambling to buy time, but running to gain yards. kaep needs to stop panicking.

in the GB game his gameplan was to take off running when the dbs and lbs turned there back on him when playing man coverage. that's not panicking, its called being smart lol.

Thanks Keena, #1-Lock Down Secondary, the mugging at the line disrupts the offensive flow. They want you to retaliate during the play to further bother the offense. Roman should be prepared with double sets and lone wideouts putting the pressure on Maxwell in particular. IMO no turnovers will go a long way in winning the game. The Niners are at the next level, can the Hawks get there?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by swayze:

Good point, and plus we are really healthy on offense right now. I like our chances.
add the Road Gauntlet, All the regress talk

Someones is about to blow the Klink up !
Originally posted by BrianGO:
What is this crap?

If that is the case then we LOSE, smartman. Go Niners!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks Keena, #1-Lock Down Secondary, the mugging at the line disrupts the offensive flow. They want you to retaliate during the play to further bother the offense. Roman should be prepared with double sets and lone wideouts putting the pressure on Maxwell in particular. IMO no turnovers will go a long way in winning the game. The Niners are at the next level, can the Hawks get there?

Who knows. What level are we at though? Is our secondary better than the Hawks secondary? I got your drift. You meant the next level down. I agree with you wholeheartedly! Go Niners!
[ Edited by seahawkmommma on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

CLINK not KLINK. Go Niners! We need to kick some Seahawk ARSE this Sunday.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Share 49ersWebzone