LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Be the Expert: How do we overcome these challenges vs. Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
PS...Vernon Davis...Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas will take care of that old man! How do you spell Pro bowlers!
Originally posted by Kelvin:
Wisconsin thank you for the intelligent and articulate response.

Kap > WIlson you say....shouldnt you look at the whole body of work? i.e their entire 2 years?....if you say that Kap has better WRs around him...doesnt that make Wilson the better QB.

Defense: Agree with you that the margin of advantage is slight! But a reminder to you...the Seahawks will be getting KJ Wright back and that guys a stud!

Lynch > Gore...You failed to say it...Lynch is considerably better...he was the reason why Seattle beat the Saints...Gore is getting old!

SF WR > Seattle WR...No brainer...but dont underestimate the role Percy Harvin has....

Harbaugh > Carol: I will give you this one!

SF is hotter than Seattle : Agree with you there too!

Here is another one for you to ponder....
SF has had to travel alot in the last 2 weeks: Lets see...
SF to GB...4 hour flight, SF to Carolina....5 hour flight.... SF to Seattle....2 hour flight!
You know what you guys are better in all aspects

Sincerely,
The Best Road Team

Kap > WIlson you say....shouldnt you look at the whole body of work? i.e their entire 2 years?....if you say that Kap has better WRs around him...doesnt that make Wilson the better QB.

Defense: Agree with you that the margin of advantage is slight! But a reminder to you...the Seahawks will be getting KJ Wright back and that guys a stud!

Lynch > Gore...You failed to say it...Lynch is considerably better...he was the reason why Seattle beat the Saints...Gore is getting old!

SF WR > Seattle WR...No brainer...but dont underestimate the role Percy Harvin has....

SF to GB...4 hour flight, SF to Carolina....5 hour flight.... SF to Seattle....2 hour flight!

If you consider the QB's entire body of work, I would say there is no doubt in my mind that Kap is the superior QB. Don't just compare "career" stats that ignore Kap's fantastic playoff run last year. Also, don't fall into a cause and effect type of logical fallacy regarding the WR's making the QB better, or the QB making the WR's better. They play a role in stats, no doubt, but the QB is an individual position controlled by an individual player. (For example, Aaron Rogers is not about as good as Wilson because Rogers has superior WR's.) Wilson is now struggling with the same WR's he was doing quite well with in the past.

Seattle defense is elite with or without KJ Wright. They have proven that.

Lynch as Gore have very different styles as running backs. The Niners also beat the Seahawks because of Gore just a few weeks ago. I am not positive Lynch is better than Gore, although he might be. Even if he is, I would counter that the Niners running game as a whole is better than the Seahawks running game as a whole, so who cares which specific player is better at the end of the day?

The travel is a cause for some thought. But the Niners are professionals, and they are battle-tested hardened veterans. The last thing I expect is for them to have a let down this week.

There is also food for thought on the other side of the coin. The Niners have a great deal of experience playing at the Clink. They know what to expect. I am confident that our coaching staff has been cooking up a game plan all season for this moment. Believe me, I don't expect an easy win (unless the Seahawks can't score more than 6 points...which is possible). I also don't think Seahawks fans are expecting an easy win either.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:

If you consider the QB's entire body of work, I would say there is no doubt in my mind that Kap is the superior QB. Don't just compare "career" stats that ignore Kap's fantastic playoff run last year. Also, don't fall into a cause and effect type of logical fallacy regarding the WR's making the QB better, or the QB making the WR's better. They play a role in stats, no doubt, but the QB is an individual position controlled by an individual player. (For example, Aaron Rogers is not about as good as Wilson because Rogers has superior WR's.) Wilson is now struggling with the same WR's he was doing quite well with in the past.

Seattle defense is elite with or without KJ Wright. They have proven that.

Lynch as Gore have very different styles as running backs. The Niners also beat the Seahawks because of Gore just a few weeks ago. I am not positive Lynch is better than Gore, although he might be. Even if he is, I would counter that the Niners running game as a whole is better than the Seahawks running game as a whole, so who cares which specific player is better at the end of the day?

The travel is a cause for some thought. But the Niners are professionals, and they are battle-tested hardened veterans. The last thing I expect is for them to have a let down this week.

There is also food for thought on the other side of the coin. The Niners have a great deal of experience playing at the Clink. They know what to expect. I am confident that our coaching staff has been cooking up a game plan all season for this moment. Believe me, I don't expect an easy win (unless the Seahawks can't score more than 6 points...which is possible). I also don't think Seahawks fans are expecting an easy win either.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that 94.27% believe that Kap will have a better game than Wilson based off of the official poll located on the webzone front page. Fact! BOOM!
Seattle will need all the Adderral they can get their hands on.
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:
1) Lock-down secondary. Seattle has the best secondary that the NFL has seen in a long, long time. They lock down receivers, even good receivers, with man to man, press coverage, which allows them to commit more players to the line of scrimmage. How do you see our receivers getting open? Which leads us to the biggest concern...

Crabtree, Boldin, VD and Patton spreading the DBs out and beating them, while Gore, Hunter, James and McDonald play outlet roles. Gore runs through the spread out D.

2) Kaepernick's inability to go through progressions. When your prime receiver(s) is locked up, the QB has to move through his progressions to other options. This has been an achilles heel of Kaepernick, who seems to panic when his first option is covered. I've been hoping they would establish some easy check-downs to backs, but that's not happening much. How do you think Kap will responds when he looks out and sees his first/second options covered?

3) The inability to audible. The crowd noise will likely prevent audibles from the line of scrimmage. Hand signals are tough to count on. The Seahawks seem to play off the noise by shifting though different defensive sets before the snap. How do you think the 49ers handle this?

Quick play calls, get to the line and run stable plays...no audibles. Use the no huddle after calling two or three plays in a row. No clever, slow developing plays.

4) Snap count. Related to the above. When you can't hear the QB's snap call, you have to be looking over at the center/QB. My lineman friends tell me that's a disadvantage because it shaves time off your release, when you are looking sideways. The only thing I've heard to counter it is timed snaps, but those are iffy.

As with the no huddle mentioned above, make the snap counts quick--diminish the need for sound...get to the line and GO!

5) Lack of fullback. Let's assume Tukuafu is out...I assume Dixon will have the starting fullback role. At 230, he's not the 293 pound load of Tuke…Do you think he will be enough?

Dixon and McDonald can help out and Dixon has actually been a good running back this year. Spread out the offense a bit to reduce the need for a FB. Use Gore to block for Hunter and James. Kaepernick as the lone back...flood the DBs and LBs with targets. Hope the line plays the game of their lives.

Thanks for your insights, and GO NINERS.

You are most welcome...I'm so looking forward to this game! I believe the niners are peaking at the right moment, Kaepernick is turning a corner and becoming more fluid, healthy team over all, two first rate WRs for the first time in years, Justin and Aldon are healthier than last year...so looking forward to this!
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:
1) Lock-down secondary. Seattle has the best secondary that the NFL has seen in a long, long time. They lock down receivers, even good receivers, with man to man, press coverage, which allows them to commit more players to the line of scrimmage. How do you see our receivers getting open? Which leads us to the biggest concern...

2) Kaepernick's inability to go through progressions. When your prime receiver(s) is locked up, the QB has to move through his progressions to other options. This has been an achilles heel of Kaepernick, who seems to panic when his first option is covered. I've been hoping they would establish some easy check-downs to backs, but that's not happening much. How do you think Kap will responds when he looks out and sees his first/second options covered?

3) The inability to audible. The crowd noise will likely prevent audibles from the line of scrimmage. Hand signals are tough to count on. The Seahawks seem to play off the noise by shifting though different defensive sets before the snap. How do you think the 49ers handle this?

4) Snap count. Related to the above. When you can't hear the QB's snap call, you have to be looking over at the center/QB. My lineman friends tell me that's a disadvantage because it shaves time off your release, when you are looking sideways. The only thing I've heard to counter it is timed snaps, but those are iffy.

5) Lack of fullback. Let's assume Tukuafu is out...I assume Dixon will have the starting fullback role. At 230, he's not the 293 pound load of Tuke…Do you think he will be enough?

Thanks for your insights, and GO NINERS.

It depends on the type of game the officials want to call.

body of work for kap vs wilson says kap has more playoff victories, more road playoff victories at that, has been to the superbowl and came 5 yards short from having the largest superbowl comeback in the history of the game.

defense: niners are better all around right now than any team in the league. seattle has good DBs but theres nothing wrong with ours and they play with technique rather than relying on refs not to call holding and all their b******t.

i will give you that marshawn is a slight advantage to gore as he is much bigger and probably just as fast but gore has more heart than lynch and he always comes thru in the clutch for us. even then, you can have the advantage if you want but its very slight. gore is still one of the shiftiest, most patient backs in the league and his toughness is unmatched. plus we have burners in hunter and james backing him up for a change of pace.

WRs is so uneven in our favor its not even funny. harvin is whack and even if he plays he might get a migraine from the crowd noise lol. boldin and crabs have been dynamic playmakers for us and patton is getting mixed in as well. cant forget Vernon at the TE spot as well.

Harbaugh is a beast, carroll is a good coach too and knows how to push the limits of what refs will call but harbaugh has us playing sound football regardless of how the refs call a game and the team has adopted his attitude completely on this playoff run.

and SF is definitely the hotter team. the last 8 games i think they have the highest point diff, scoring defense and are #1 in a few other key stats.

i think the most impressive thing about this team is what it accomplished the last 3 weeks tho. we knocked out a great arizona team fighting for a playoff spot, went to the frozen tundra in subzero weather and beat greenbay, went to carolina and beat up and intimidated a team that desperately wants respect and to be known as a tough team, all on the road. the niners are destined for greatness and we will prove it by dominating the hawks in their house and facing our demons in seattle.
IN the first 5 games of this season (& without Crabtree), there were many people who were doubting Kap! RW has been pretty solid and consistent throughout his career!
Slight adv to RW.

Niners are NOT better than Seattle on Defense...which team has allowed the fewest points in the league this season? ANSWER= Seattle!

So to recap:

Adv 49ers:
WR
Coach
Hotter Team

Adv Seattle:
Defense
RB
Home Field
Less Hectic Travel Schedule

Sideways:
QB (and this I will concede)

According to my calculations...that is 4-3 in Seattle's favor!

PS> Thanks Wisconsin for the primer on causality! Good WRs make QBs better and Good QBs make WRs better. Same can be said about the offensive line! Regardless, you only too well know that without Crabtree, people were questioning Kap!
IN the first 5 games of this season (& without Crabtree), there were many people who were doubting Kap! RW has been pretty solid and consistent throughout his career!
Slight adv to RW.

Niners are NOT better than Seattle on Defense...which team has allowed the fewest points in the league this season? ANSWER= Seattle!

So to recap:

Adv 49ers:
WR
Coach
Hotter Team

Adv Seattle:
Defense
RB
Home Field
Less Hectic Travel Schedule

Sideways:
QB (and this I will concede)

According to my calculations...that is 4-3 in Seattle's favor!

PS> Thanks Wisconsin for the primer on causality! Good WRs make QBs better and Good QBs make WRs better. Same can be said about the offensive line! Regardless, you only too well know that without Crabtree, people were questioning Kap!

It's a good thing NFL games are not determined by such calculations.

keep Rogers on the bench
niners have been better lately when it actually matters to this conversation. bringing up stats for the year when both teams have changed a lot lately is kind of irrelevant. niners are ballin right now on defense and i dont think theres a better defense out there. kap is also a big game QB, wilson still needs to prove that and he looked pretty shaky against the saints missing open guys and taking off instead of passing when guys were open. Niners>Hawks vertually everywhere except for the DBs but again, theres nothing wrong with ours either. Reid and Whitner are an awesome safety tandem, brown and brock have been excellent and cox, wright and rogers as depth/slot guys arent bad either.
seattle trolls everywhere
Originally posted by xtm059:
seattle trolls everywhere

theyll disappear on monday like the panthers and packers trolls did
Honestly I don't care. What i care about is that they play their best game and leave it all out there on the field. The whole team functioning as one, executing their job at a critical part of the game. The stuff champions are made of. I've been watching along time I guess, and the analyzation stuff is for the pros, I will never know a fraction of what they know. We have a great team, let's hope they dont end up one of these great second place teams. I hope they become champions for themselves and the bay. The Super bowl last year is kind of what I'm talking about, they were the better team, but they didn't play their best. Sucks.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone