LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Be the Expert: How do we overcome these challenges vs. Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I re-watched the Week 2 game last night on NFL network. A couple of impressions ...

1. Our offense was not in sync the entire game. But we had opportunities. Failed to score in the red zone in the first quarter. Failed to score a TD from the 3 yard line in the third quarter. Convert these two drives and we have 14 points. Otherwise, we didn't sniff the red zone the entire game.

2. Their offense was not in sync either, except for on their opening drive in the second half. Big play - 50 yard pass to Baldwin.

3. Seattle's other scores -

a. Safety on a questionable holding call on Bruce Miller in the end zone
b. Field goal after recovering Kap fumble on our 29 yard line. They moved the ball 17 yards on this drive.
c. Second touchdown scored early in fourth quarter. They drive 80 yards ... 54 of which were given to them from a PI on Nnamdi (40 yards) and personal foul
on A. Smith (14 yards). No penalties, no score.
d. Second field goal came after a Kap interception. Seattle got the ball on our 28 yard line. They moved the ball 6 yards on this drive.
e. Third touchdown scored late in fourth quarter. Intercepted Kap and ran it back to our 2 yard line.

So, IF the 49ers hadn't of turned the ball over or committed chunk yardage penalties, and capitalized on their red zone opportunities, they should have won this game with a score of 14 to 9 (or thereabouts).

The keys to winning are straightforward - don't turn the ball over, don't give up a ton of penalties, and capitalize in the red zone. I think we can do this.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
It's really not that difficult to beat Seattle.. The most important part is to have a long drive in the 1st quarter... Most often, the opponents fall into the trap of an ez 3 and out early in the game, and that gets the crowd going.

Go back to the Houston, Tampa Bay and Arizona game vs Seattle.. What do all of them had in common? They scored on all long drives and patient drive against Seattle's D..

Believe it or not, their defense aren't that patience, they almost expect to stop every drive in 3 downs.. But the longer the drive happens, you see how they become mortals..

I say we use lots of "LEAD DRAW" against them.. This is the same play that the 90s Cowboys used on them Eagles each time they play... it will slow the Dline down, and the LBs will be forced to read and react to this instead of attacking..

We must ditch that PISTOL formation.. Seattle don't care how cute and pretty our formations are, their Defense will attack, and the less spread formation we are under, the better it is for their speedy defense.

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST..

Seattle does not have the WRs.. Their WRs got no business lining up against our D!!

I say show them NO RESPECT!!!
Originally posted by midrdan:
2. Their offense was not in sync either, except for on their opening drive in the second half. Big play - 50 yard pass to Baldwin.
IIRC, this was to Reid's side of the field -- after Reid had been knocked out of the game after a concussion from his collision with Sidney Rice. So they basically exploited Craig Dahl.

b. Field goal after recovering Kap fumble on our 29 yard line. They moved the ball 17 yards on this drive.
c. Second touchdown scored early in fourth quarter. They drive 80 yards ... 54 of which were given to them from a PI on Nnamdi (40 yards) and personal foul
d. Second field goal came after a Kap interception. Seattle got the ball on our 28 yard line. They moved the ball 6 yards on this drive.
e. Third touchdown scored late in fourth quarter. Intercepted Kap and ran it back to our 2 yard line.
Also, I remember the personal fouls. One was on Brooks -- a very unlucky (but correct) call. It woulda set up like 3rd and goal from the 12-13 yard line. Wilson conceded a sack, but Brooks made helmet-to-helmet contact. Didn't seem intentional, but it was a clear call. That was a crushing blow.

The one on Aldon was also huge... if I remember right, it was like 3rd-and-20+ from the 35-ish yard line. Seattle almost surely would've taken a free 5-10 yard pass and taken a field goal. Instead, Aldon's penalty -- an after-the-play slap to the face -- resulted in another Seattle touchdown.

Seattle dominated that game defensively, but we made some really costly mistakes ourselves.
  1. Stop Lynch
  2. Stop Lynch
  3. Stop Lynch
  4. We win.
All we need to do is protect, protect, protect! Specifically Kaepernick and the football. Meaning protecting Kaepernick is so essential in taking advantage of the Seahawks aggression as a secondary. If they cannot pressure Kap before he makes his second read he will dominate based on the threat of him scrambling and Gore's effectiveness. Also Crabtree cares not about Sherman's rep as the best CB in the league. I look for Crab to dominate whomever lines up against him. Protecting the football refers to ANY carrier of the ball! We cannot turn the ball over Sunday, it will send the crowd into a frenzy. Lastly I think that our defense will show up and possibly even put 6 on the board as well! GO NINERS!
I think using our receivers to clear out zones and release our backs into open space underneath for short passes is there. This will also keep the linebackers frozen a bit more and loosen up the box to run more effectively. In essence, instead of their DB's taking our receivers out of their game, we take their DBs out of our game. Eventually, something will open up long when they start worrying about our RBs getting to the second level with the underneath routes. Plus, nobody can touch our receivers in regards to their downfield blocking.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM ]
Originally posted by firstto5ive:
All we need to do is protect, protect, protect! Specifically Kaepernick and the football. Meaning protecting Kaepernick is so essential in taking advantage of the Seahawks aggression as a secondary. If they cannot pressure Kap before he makes his second read he will dominate based on the threat of him scrambling and Gore's effectiveness. Also Crabtree cares not about Sherman's rep as the best CB in the league. I look for Crab to dominate whomever lines up against him. Protecting the football refers to ANY carrier of the ball! We cannot turn the ball over Sunday, it will send the crowd into a frenzy. Lastly I think that our defense will show up and possibly even put 6 on the board as well! GO NINERS!

We had them on deep balls in both games but Kap under threw them for INT's. This game, I would rather him overthrow those for an incompletion and pose the threat that the receiver was open and make SEA think twice.
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:
1) Lock-down secondary. Seattle has the best secondary that the NFL has seen in a long, long time. They lock down receivers, even good receivers, with man to man, press coverage, which allows them to commit more players to the line of scrimmage. How do you see our receivers getting open? Which leads us to the biggest concern...

Harbaugh needs to work the refs like he always does and pretty much throw the flag for the zebras.
Originally posted by theduke85:

Also, I remember the personal fouls. One was on Brooks -- a very unlucky (but correct) call. It woulda set up like 3rd and goal from the 12-13 yard line. Wilson conceded a sack, but Brooks made helmet-to-helmet contact. Didn't seem intentional, but it was a clear call. That was a crushing blow.

The one on Aldon was also huge... if I remember right, it was like 3rd-and-20+ from the 35-ish yard line. Seattle almost surely would've taken a free 5-10 yard pass and taken a field goal. Instead, Aldon's penalty -- an after-the-play slap to the face -- resulted in another Seattle touchdown.

Seattle dominated that game defensively, but we made some really costly mistakes ourselves.

turning point of the game. momentum was changing and the game got out of hand after that play.

screen passes
Okay, so this is totally crazy:
on our opening drive take about 50-60 delay of game penalties, at some point it would be "half the distance to the goal" on the 1 millimeter line! 10, 0r 20 minutes later, we punt, f**k you 12th man, scream for 20 minutes straight, after drinking in the parking lot all morning!
Originally posted by seahawkmommma:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I thought that idiot was banned already. Who wastes their time trolling like that? Virgins and Seahawks fans I suppose lol.

The only idiot on here is you hot dog. And if you are wondering. I am a NINERS FAN and I have NEVER been banned. Sorry to burst your bubble FOOL.
Look in the mirror before you call someone an idiot, IDIOT.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
on our opening drive take about 50-60 delay of game penalties, at some point it would be "half the distance to the goal" on the 1 millimeter line! 10, 0r 20 minutes later, we punt, f**k you 12th man, scream for 20 minutes straight, after drinking in the parking lot all morning!

Crazy enough that it just might work! Or we can just score often and early shut them up
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Crazy enough that it just might work! Or we can just score often and early shut them up
I know when I have done that my voice has been horse and ruined. It just might work
Share 49ersWebzone