LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Film Analysis: @Seattle Seahawks Week 2 *REQUEST*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
This is the book on how to defend RW. Until RW learns how to make quicker decisions, or get better WRs who get open faster, this will be a limitation to SEA's passing offense.
Looks like we're finally close enough to the game that fans are cutting down the trash talk and actually analyzing the game. Thank God we're not players/coaches.
  • thl408
NO came out with a power run game and had decent success in the divisional playoff game. They didn't always get positive yardage, but they ran plays that we all have seen the 49ers use with success.

1Q 2nd & 3. This is a look the 49ers should see often on Sunday. Single high safety with 8 in the box. Strong side of NO's formation is the left with the TE next to the LT. SEA's alignment is balanced with 4 defenders on each side of their formation.

Below: Can Dixon/Tuku step up as a lead blocker?

The play:

Below: 22 personnel (2TE, 2RB), balanced formation.

The play:

Below: 22 personnel, balanced formation. 9 in the box for SEA as NO runs to the side with 4 defenders.

The play:

It's critical that Kap makes the proper run game audibles to run to the side of the formation where the 49ers have the numbers advantage. SEA LBs are faster than they are strong so if the 49ers can get helmet on helmet blocking, Gore will have some lanes.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Looks like we're finally close enough to the game that fans are cutting down the trash talk and actually analyzing the game. Thank God we're not players/coaches.

LOL, if you are looking for good football talk, search for the 'analysis' threads. There are a couple of them each week. These guys are awesome. Most of the other threads are just back and forth trash talking.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM ]
One thing I want to request from jonny and thl:

Russell Wilson has not looked good over the last few weeks, and I get a feeling it's because Wilson's pass protection has been pretty bad to outright terrible over his career so far. Do you thing there's been a disconnect between Russell's arms and legs that Kaepernick suffered earlier on in the season, up to the point that Russell has developed some bad habits over the last few weeks and that may be the downfall of the Seahawks come Sunday?
Originally posted by BKpower:

Russell Wilson has not looked good over the last few weeks, and I get a feeling it's because Wilson's pass protection has been pretty bad to outright terrible over his career so far. Do you thing there's been a disconnect between Russell's arms and legs that Kaepernick suffered earlier on in the season, up to the point that Russell has developed some bad habits over the last few weeks and that may be the downfall of the Seahawks come Sunday?

Good request. Would love to examine RW's struggles further. But from just watching his games (NFL ticket), I've seen him miss throws while being pressured. But also seen him miss quite a few throws when he has no pressure. It might be psychological from what I can tell.
Originally posted by thl408:
NO came out with a power run game and had decent success in the divisional playoff game. They didn't always get positive yardage, but they ran plays that we all have seen the 49ers use with success.

1Q 2nd & 3. This is a look the 49ers should see often on Sunday. Single high safety with 8 in the box. Strong side of NO's formation is the left with the TE next to the LT. SEA's alignment is balanced with 4 defenders on each side of their formation.

The play:

It's critical that Kap makes the proper run game audibles to run to the side of the formation where the 49ers have the numbers advantage. SEA LBs are faster than they are strong so if the 49ers can get helmet on helmet blocking, Gore will have some lanes.

But a lot of it also depends on SEA's weekly prep. For the Saints, they probably prepped more to go against multiple receiver sets than they did vs run packages. NO got the advantage when they decided to run more. Against us, SEA is primarily going to prep to stop our run.

In all honesty, NO took a gamble to instal a plan that is not geared to the personality of their team. That is like if we go into the SEA game with 4 and 5 WR sets, spread it out and force SEA to play thin with 4 or 5 DB's when they were prepared to go base personnel.

I don't think we break those types of runs the way NO did.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by BKpower:

After watching their last few games, it's hard to gauge because he played good Dlines (ARI, STL) that can give many QBs trouble. You mentioned the Oline pass pro struggles and I agree that it can develop bad habits in a young QB. I don't know if it will lead to their downfall this Sunday, but I hope so. That internal clock seems to tick fast for RW, like many young QBs. SEA will often use passing formations that go 4 or 5 lined up wide and spread it out. My hypothesis is that it is to remove defenders from the middle of the field, setting up the scramble. Defenses may be less likely to blitz when they see 4 or 5 spread out (not bunched) so they rush 4. Then SEA uses 3 step or fast 5 step drop timing plays. With less defenders in the middle, RW seems encouraged to make one or two reads, then go into scramble mode.

To me, many times not keeping in extra blockers will foster a fast internal clock in a QB since the QB knows there's only 5 pass blockers, and shaky ones at that. Because RW is such a good scrambler, he is very willing to scramble. I question this strategy of SEA's. When the Oline is patchy, keep in an extra blocker as the norm instead of sending out 5 routes, in order to give your QB a little confidence and time. The disconnect you refer to is seen in many mobile QBs. When a QB can do two things (run or pass), it's harder for him to know which one to do in that millisecond.

He's not all bad, unfortunately. I can tell that he does recognize and understand defenses and he throws a nice catchable deep ball. He needs some legit, non-injured WR targets to help him out.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Joecool:
But a lot of it also depends on SEA's weekly prep. For the Saints, they probably prepped more to go against multiple receiver sets than they did vs run packages. NO got the advantage when they decided to run more. Against us, SEA is primarily going to prep to stop our run.

In all honesty, NO took a gamble to instal a plan that is not geared to the personality of their team. That is like if we go into the SEA game with 4 and 5 WR sets, spread it out and force SEA to play thin with 4 or 5 DB's when they were prepared to go base personnel.

I don't think we break those types of runs the way NO did.

Good point about NO surprising SEA with the power run plays.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I would be popping the corner backs with my tight ends all day long and set up what looks like a passing formation and let the corners hold, blocking themselves out of the play. Anything to beat up that secondary and wear them out by the 4th quarter.

Agreed. If they are holding our TE's they are not holding the WR's.

We can run on Seattle as long as Roman doesnt outsmart himself... like having Gore run stretch plays and then asking LMJ to run in between the tackles.
double
[ Edited by 5280High on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM ]
  • thl408
Back to week 2. Here's another reason to hate these birds.

1Q 2nd&10
SEA uses a 3WR set to get the NT Ian Williams off the field and the 49ers into nickel personnel.

Below49ers come with a CB blitz by Rogers to SEA's left side of the formation. Bow's season just flashed before my eyes. Justin took a slant across the center and leaves a nice lane for Lynch.

21 yard gain. The biggest run for Lynch that day. The chop block on Bow was a bang bang play. Bow and the OL initiated contact right as the RT dove to hit Bow. On the very next play of the game, Ian Williams season is ended.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM ]
I rewatched the game and was surprised at how close it was. Both teams played hard they just got some good bounces.
Analysis complete that will be $20
Share 49ersWebzone