There are 265 users in the forums

Film Analysis: @Seattle Seahawks Week 2 *REQUEST*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Yea, it was Just to get the first down and get down. Game would have been over.

Yea it was the right play. No one was blocking the gunners and if the pass is completed its 100% over.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Yea, it was Just to get the first down and get down. Game would have been over.

Yea it was the right play. No one was blocking the gunners and if the pass is completed its 100% over.

nah we were trying to run the score up
  • thl408
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I understand this game was full of fail for us. Id just like to know what the F happened that we got beat so badly? 5-0 down halftime to getting run out the building. How did Lynch get the better of our LBs?How did their Oline handle our front 7? How did our Oline do so bad? Was it the heat, the coverage or just Kap sucking that day? Or combination of all three?

I just can't believe a team as talented and as experienced as ours would get humiliated like that not only by seattle but the colts too. Johnny and THL not asking for breakdowns on every single one. but whatever you can answer id appreciate it

ruthless49er, I'll probably get back to SEA around Thursday. The CAR game was made available today so I wanted to get into that while that win is still fresh in our minds. We have to pass the time somehow. Sunday is so far away.
Thanks thl your input is valuable and helpful and clear.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Swing passes to the backs with WR clearing out should be effective and end up forcing SEA out of their normal coverage.

When you have a QB running as deadly as Kap, the swing passes get open due to the spy on Kap.

This makes a lot of sense. When SEA plays cover3, which they did often in week 14, that leaves 4 defenders to cover the 6 underneath zones (flat/curl/hook x 2). This is for the standard rush 4 while dropping 7 into coverage. If SF wants to show something new, throw it to the RBs. I've been b***hing about this all year. It's the reason Kap's completion percentage is on the low side. Whereas many other QBs are getting these easy completions, Kap would rather scramble. Not a bad choice in its own right, but throwing it to the RBs will force the LBs to adjust/cheat a bit opening up other areas.

This makes a lot of sense. I wonder if Kap and the backs have a harder time of getting in sync with each other when a "dump off to the back" kind of situation happens because the backs have to wonder if they are potential pass receivers or blockers for a Kap scramble.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM ]
ruthless49er, I'll probably get back to SEA around Thursday. The CAR game was made available today so I wanted to get into that while that win is still fresh in our minds. We have to pass the time somehow. Sunday is so far away.

I gotchu. Look forward to both. and thanks for taking the time man. i swear 9ers have the best fans.
Posted this in the gameday thread but it is better here:

This is the most difficult part. It's like the Detroit Pistons where the game would just be ugly because the refs can't call a foul on every play even though they should.

Big plays are hard to come by in games like this and their DB's getting away with holding on a play that would a chance for us to move the ball big is very costly to us. However, to them, they do get caught more than most, is only a 5 yard penalty with an auto first down.

I still think the keys to the game are to force them to spy Kap and start hitting the swing passes for steady 3-10 yard gains. They play the Cover 3 because Earl is so damn fast and that allows them to have an extra body for underneath coverage. This is why we MUST force a spy.

If we don't want to try to force the spy, then we must spread them out horizontally and then try to hit some passes over the LB's but under the deep third.

Again, they are just a very tough defense to play because they have the speed back their to play a lot of deep third coverage and keep 4 for coverage underneath. So, they can show 8 in the box but use that 8th person for the shorter coverage or use him to help vs the run. The biggest thing they open themselves up for with this type of defense are big gashing runs if Gore can get into past that front. That's why it appears they are not very strong against the run do to large gashes that get on them but they don't happen often.
After a blocked punt by Dahl, the 49ers moved the ball to set up a 1st and goal. This was their best chance to score a TD. SEA will play man coverage on Boldin (CB is Thurmond).

1Q 9:36 1st and Goal

Below: Thurmond grabs Boldin, so Boldin throws him to the ground.

Below: Windows to throw in the red zone are small. This is as good as it's going to get. Kap would have to throw it to Boldin's outside shoulder to make it safe.

The play: Kap was hesitant and the window quickly shut. Kap scrambles left and throws it away. Two plays later, Kap throws an INT.

f**king hate those cornerbacks man. It looks like he would have never LET go
  • thl408
Since the week 2 49ers are very different from the week 20 49ers, I don't see too much that can be taken from this week 2 game. A few posters gave good thoughts about this week 2 game in the "Be the expert:" thread. The 49er's turnovers and penalties helped the SEA offense get going in the 4th quarter. midrdan gave a good synopsis of these mistakes in that thread (post #166).

I'll just start posting some stuff about how to attack SEA leading up to Sunday's game.

Here's a play the 49ers can definitely run and hope to get success.

1Q 1st and 10
This is a Jumbo package with an OLineman acting as a second TE. Unbalanced formation to the right side, with Fitz lined up wide left. Right before the snap, Earl Thomas will fall back to a single high look, shading towards Fitz.

Below: Thomas has fallen back to a single high safety look.The key blocks are in yellow as ARI will pull both their guards. For the 49ers, these (yellow) blocks would be ADavis and VD. For SEA, it's 8 in the box with 4 on the left side of the formation (from ARI's point of view). This gives ARI a numbers advantage to the right side of the formation.

The super key block is by the RT who has to quickly get to the second level. He gets just enough of the LB to prevent the LB from making the play. 26 yard gain running out of the Jumbo package. Will Crabs command as much attention as Fitz to pull two defenders away from the box?
Thanks thl that will be very good. I would also like your predictions based on what you saw in the Arizona game and how you believe that SF is playing now.

• thl408
Week16
Keeping RW in the pocket is important. Here, ARI is undisciplined in their pass rush and RW makes them pay.

ARI will come with a 5 man blitz, with the extra rusher coming on RW's left. Lynch reads the blitz and picks it up well.

ARI's pass rusher on the left side of ARI's formation (right side from SEA's perspective) has broken the #1 rule when pass rushing RW. He gets too far upfield. This player for the 49ers would be Ahmed Brooks in most cases.

RW with a 27 yard scramble.
  • thl408
Here, ARI comes with a 5 man blitz, but the extra blitzer comes from SEA's right side of the formation.

Below: RW is not liking what he sees downfield and will look to scramble to buy time. ARI's edge rusher (blue arrow) has stayed disciplined and holds pocket contain. Again, this guy for the 49ers is usually Brooks.

Below: RW will scramble left. ARI's pass rusher on SEA's left side of the formation has stayed disciplined (blue circle). The key is to make RW scramble horizontal, or better yet like in this case, scramble backwards a few steps.

Better view:

Below: RW is pulling the trigger to the WR circled blue. The throw is off target for an incompletion (too far out of bounds) since RW is scrambling left, which is always tough for a right handed QB. Punt.

edit: The left edge rusher actually gets too far upfield, but the DT picks up the slack. Point is, make RW go left, and go horizontal.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM ]
I re-watched the game on NFLN the NFL replay.

We really f**ked ourselves with penalties. It was like, 3rd and 28, Seattle had the ball. They get a small to medium gain, but Aldon gets flagged for a unsportsmanlike conduct call. They get a first down.......

Another thing, we kept forgetting about Lynch in the flat running up the sideline. Couple times not covered, one of them was a TD. Penalties killed us though. Over 100 yards!

The super key block is by the RT who has to quickly get to the second level. He gets just enough of the LB to prevent the LB from making the play. 26 yard gain running out of the Jumbo package. Will Crabs command as much attention as Fitz to pull two defenders away from the box?

Damn, Earl Thomas is fast!

As for Wilson, I hope our edge rushers don't rush too far upfield.
  • thl408
Some more containment of RW and how ARI did it well. Really, ARI just took a page out of the 49er's defense. 49ers know about this. They just need to continue to do it on Sunday.

This is on back to back plays in the 4th quarter.

The ARI LB in red is not interested in rushing RW, nor is he interested in covering Lynch out of the backfield. He has one assignment, prevent RW from rolling right.

Below: That LB doesn't rush upfield, and doesn't cover Lynch.

Below: The edge rusher going against the RT stays disciplined where he is able to chase down RW because he doesn't get too far upfield. When he sees RW trying to sneak by, he's able to dive at RW's legs. -2 yard sack.

The very next play: ARI comes with a 5 man blitz.

Below: The edge rusher going against SEA's RT (red circle) doesn't care about getting upfield.

Below: RW rolls left. The ARI DTs stay in control in order to mirror RW as he rolls left.

Share 49ersWebzone