There are 168 users in the forums

Film Analysis: @Seattle Seahawks Week 2 *REQUEST*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I noticed there was a thread on the Film Analysis of the Week 10 Carolina game. I was wondering if we can also do the week 2 game at Seattle. I dont know how to do it myself and enjoy reading through and observing the analysis. For those of you that usually contribute the analysis, you can just post it in here and avoid making another thread. Thanks.
[ Edited by xela510 on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM ]
  • thl408
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176105-analysis-seahawks-game-coaches-film/
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176105-analysis-seahawks-game-coaches-film/

Thats week 14. I was wondering if we can do one for the week 2 match up.
NFLN will repaly both games tomorrow
  • thl408
Originally posted by xela510:
Thats week 14. I was wondering if we can do one for the week 2 match up.

My bad. Any particular plays you wanted to check out?
My bad. Any particular plays you wanted to check out?

Nothing specific. Just wanted to see that maybe we had plays that were there and maybe we just missed. Or something we did that was successful.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
NFLN will repaly both games tomorrow

Thanks. Will be watching both.
  • thl408
Might as well start with an offensive highlight since there aren't many.

3Q 6:42 1st & 10
49ers will try to hit Boldin on a deep post route. They use play action to set it up. SEA is going with cover3. Boldin is given a clean release. Vance starts off blocking to sell run.

Below: Kap's first read is Boldin on a post. Earl Thomas is hovering over the top.

Below: Same time, different view. EThomas is a rangy FS.

The play: Kap decides not to test Thomas and targets Vance who was uncovered coming off the play action with Boldin clearing the area of Dick.

That does it for the 49er offensive highlights. Actually there were some nice scrambles by Kap this game. Byproduct of man coverage SEA played this game.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM ]
  • thl408
After a blocked punt by Dahl, the 49ers moved the ball to set up a 1st and goal. This was their best chance to score a TD. SEA will play man coverage on Boldin (CB is Thurmond).

1Q 9:36 1st and Goal

Below: Thurmond grabs Boldin, so Boldin throws him to the ground.

Below: Windows to throw in the red zone are small. This is as good as it's going to get. Kap would have to throw it to Boldin's outside shoulder to make it safe.

The play: Kap was hesitant and the window quickly shut. Kap scrambles left and throws it away. Two plays later, Kap throws an INT.
I don't think Boldin was open on the 1st play. Both of the MLBs are playing that middle zone and Thomas had Boldin over the top. Thomas actually is pretty good at playing that area too. Every time the Saint offense was able to set Graham down in the middle of the field Thomas was right there to lay a big hit. I hate to continue bragging about Thomas but he's really good at reading the QB and even better at flying to the ball. I hope Roman tests Thomas but I would prefer him to try to isolate Davis on him which is hard because those MLB are pretty good in coverage and ultimately they'll probably Davis the same way they played Boldin on this play; a man under and a man over.

This play exposes an area where I think Seattle are weak. It overloads the flat and McDonald does a great job setting his route down. I think Kaep is actually looking off Sherman. Sherman thinks the ball is going to Boldin so he's backpedaling deep to possibly make a tackle leaving all that space underneath open which technically is not his assignment it's 53's but 53 is setting the edge because he's slightly fooled by the play action. Roman sends McDonald and Miller into the flat tho so even if 53 wasnt fooled by the play action and starts to backpedal with McDonald you would have seen Miller leak out underneath for a short completion. It's essentially like have two player in the same zone just with a high/low concept kind of. It only worked because Sherman is playing so deep and leaving enough room open underneath. This is an area Roman should exploit because those Seattle CBs are not near as comfortable tackling in space as they are in press.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 14, 2014 at 12:57 AM ]
Well hopefully we dont run any awful plays like that. I mean, why would we have a passing play with only 1 receiver running the route? Especially against an elite secondary like that?

I did remember the play he threw the INT after the above play and it seemed like Patton was open but it would have been a difficult throw, but not impossible.

Originally posted by xela510:
Well hopefully we dont run any awful plays like that. I mean, why would we have a passing play with only 1 receiver running the route? Especially against an elite secondary like that?

I did remember the play he threw the INT after the above play and it seemed like Patton was open but it would have been a difficult throw, but not impossible.

Honestly I like the plays concept. This is essentially a cover 0 which means there's no safety over the top and tons of space behind the CB the only problem the press is so good that by time Boldin beats it the entire defense sees that Kaep has kept it and Thomas is able to make up the ground. Really Kaep could've made that throw too but IMO that is not his strongest throw and he didn't feel confidant with it. This is what you have to do to Seattle. Test those corners on the boundary. If Boldin beats that press sooner then he's wide open over the top for days. Maybe this play was doomed to fail but in general I hope they isolate those corners and really try to expose them in man. Browner is gone and I know Maxwell isn't near as good as him. All it's going to take is a couple of big completions to deflate that secondaries bravado and shut that crowd up.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM ]
I understand this game was full of fail for us. Id just like to know what the F happened that we got beat so badly? 5-0 down halftime to getting run out the building. How did Lynch get the better of our LBs?How did their Oline handle our front 7? How did our Oline do so bad? Was it the heat, the coverage or just Kap sucking that day? Or combination of all three?

I just can't believe a team as talented and as experienced as ours would get humiliated like that not only by seattle but the colts too. Johnny and THL not asking for breakdowns on every single one. but whatever you can answer id appreciate it
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I understand this game was full of fail for us. Id just like to know what the F happened that we got beat so badly? 5-0 down halftime to getting run out the building. How did Lynch get the better of our LBs?How did their Oline handle our front 7? How did our Oline do so bad? Was it the heat, the coverage or just Kap sucking that day? Or combination of all three?

I just can't believe a team as talented and as experienced as ours would get humiliated like that not only by seattle but the colts too. Johnny and THL not asking for breakdowns on every single one. but whatever you can answer id appreciate it

Our defense played fine, but the offense choked miserably. Even then, it was really close. Eventually the offense turned it over (interception), and the defense got hit with a costly penalty after a stop. At that point we also lost Reid to a concussion, and Fangio threw a rare house blitz at Wilson which he just threw up and it became a walk in TD for Lynch. That was essentially game over. Then they piled on a bunch of other late scores to make it look like a total blowout.

Game was very similar to the Indy game.Offense failing to get anything done, defense playing valiantly and eventually wearing down.
Originally posted by kray28:
Our defense played fine, but the offense choked miserably. Even then, it was really close. Eventually the offense turned it over (interception), and the defense got hit with a costly penalty after a stop. At that point we also lost Reid to a concussion, and Fangio threw a rare house blitz at Wilson which he just threw up and it became a walk in TD for Lynch. That was essentially game over. Then they piled on a bunch of other late scores to make it look like a total blowout.

Game was very similar to the Indy game.Offense failing to get anything done, defense playing valiantly and eventually wearing down.

I still remember that TD when Lynch just sauntered into the end zone. I get that you want to showboat a little bit when you're wide open for a TD, but what he did was just disrespectful. Bunch of pricks on that team.

Thanks for the analysis.

That does it for the 49er offensive highlights. Actually there were some nice scrambles by Kap this game. Byproduct of man coverage SEA played this game.

Never get tired of seeing Sherman bounce off of McDonald like he got hit by a truck.
Share 49ersWebzone