There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

I disagree that calls were skewed in our favor. The refs were calling what the stupid Panther players were doing early to "set the tone" in order to keep it from escalating. Each of those early fouls was completely justified.

And any call that they feel was borderline was more than offset by the horrendous sack/blow to the head play.

I am rewatching right now and just reviewed the early hit on VD and it was ridiculous having Aikman say the ball was still catchable. When you just see the short replay or still image of the hit you can see the ball is in the air because it BOUNCED back up there.

Replay it and watch a few seconds earlier and you will see the ball bounce between Boldin and VD and as it bounces back up to VDs eye level he gets blindsided.
The 49ers put up 23 points which is more than any team has this season in CAR. This includes Brady who put up 20 in week 11.

About point 2), this was the key to the game. Staley held his own, which is what we expected since he held his own during the regular season CAR game. But the 49ers gave ADavis help by lining up VD inline to help on the right side versus Charles Johnson. I can't tell whether this was the key to making Charles Johnson less of a factor or if it was CJ injuring his ankle on the first 49er offensive play of the game (CJ drilled Gore for a -1 run), but whatever is was, the Oline looked much better yesterday than in week 10. The interior of the Oline held their own versus an excellent front 4. Kap was pressured no doubt, but the Oline had their moments. Two successful QB sneaks.

Good point 6). We know who the biggest trash talker on the defense is for the 49ers. It's natural for Whitner to get in an opponent's face after the whistle. It's natural for him and doesn't take him out of his element where he doesn't think the game rationally. The Cats stepped out of their comfort zone to try and intimidate the 49ers. All it did was take them out of their own element and help the 49ers extend drives.
Defense held it down. Seemed like Carolina tried to use GB's gameplan in coming out in shotgun and 3 wide & te running routes. It's the formation that at times forces Aldon into coverage and mostly forces the Niners out of their base defense. Smith just did a good job and beat Brown for a td. Besides that everything else got shut down. I didn't see Olsen do much of anything and tight ends usually kill this team. Defense also shut down the screen game. And the pass rush came alive in the 2nd half and just wrecked havoc. Skuta came in and gave Brooks a rest. And as soon as Brooks was back in the game he made a sack. I seen Jerrod Eddie making some plays aswell. Rotation starting to really help guys out this year
merge this with the other one?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: Another solid game. Still missing some throws but always seems to make some dynamic plays to make up for it. I'd really like to see that comp % go up. Seems to be improving as the season goes on and just having Crab on the field has made a huge difference. Peeps can look at Crabs stats and say he didn't do much, but his presence on the field forces Ds to play honest which opens up holes all over the field. Kap is doing better being patient and sitting in the pocket. He also seems to be getting off that first read quicker.

2) O-Line: Fantastic job in Pass Protection against a team that led the NFL in sacks. Also opened up holes for Frank when it mattered. Joe Staley did his Perseus imitation and slew the Kraken.

3) Boldin: Pick your poison. Who's gonna kill ya? Crab? No? Then it's Boldin. Not Boldin either? OK, we got Vernon too. Great game by Boldin. Needs to watch himself with the emotion it was kinda funny when he was calming Harbaugh down, but great game.

4) Defense: Great adjustment in the second half to completely shut Carolina down. On the only drive they threatened the Niners were able to get back to back sacks to finish the drive and push them out of field goal range.

5) Refs: No doubt, there were some bad calls. It's probably even fair to say they skewed in the 49ers direction. It's still kinda hard tho to argue you got hosed when you get blanked in the second half, lose by 13 points and get stopped TWICE from inside the 5. They even got extra life on the bogus roughing the passer and just compounded their misfortune by throwing the pick.

6) Not ready: The Panthers weren't ready. Plain and simple. There were alot of fake tough guys out there in black and they weren't impressing anyone. Particularly the officials. The 49ers didn't jump up and down after the game. They were happy to have won, but they've been here for three years now and know that this isn't where they want it to end. The Panthers played very much like this was their first playoff game.

7) Frank: He doesn't always put up the numbers, but he's always there when he needs to be. Losing him in the next few years is going to be a huge blow. I can only hope that Lattimore can take that spot or they can get someone in the draft. I like Hunter but he clearly doesn't have Franks vision.

8) LBs: Monsters. All of them. Dominated from start to finish. Panthers did nothing on the ground. Hell, the TD was a perfect throw so I don't even put THAT on the D. Poor Aldon can't get singled up to save his life, but the other guys are taking advantage of all that attention, Brooks in particular. That spin by Bowman for the sack has almost become his signature pass rush move. You'd think they'd have seen that on film but guys fall for it every single time.

9) On the Road: SOOO impressive that they are doing this in hostile environments. Poor conditions and Aaron Rodgers last week. Much better conditions but the 2nd best defense in the NFL to contend with. The Panthers had won 11 of 12 and were 7-1 at home (losing only to Seattle in week 1). That was impressive.

10) Seattle: It almost feels like the regular season was a waste. LOL. Did anyone ever really doubt it would come down to these two teams? I don't want to make a prediction, but to say I'm worried about this game would be an understatement. Seattle has struggled on O of late but that really doesn't mean anything to me. Teams struggle until they have a breakout week and you never know when it's coming. It could be this week. Maybe not. Who knows. What I do know is that's an extremely talented team playing in their house and it will require the Niners play their best game of the season to pull it off. It should be fun.

Agree with most of it. Re Kaep, the one thing I wish he were much better at is his timing throws. He just doesn't seem in synch with his receivers when they're coming off their breaks. I've noted many times when they're open for that second or two, often in the endzone, when we've ultimately had to settle for field goals, but he waits just a tad too long and when he finally makes up his mind, they're either covered or close enough that the DB can now break it up. Don't know if it's a trust thing and/or a vision thing, but he needs to get better at it and once he does, his completion % will skyrocket. And those ground balls need to come up a bit too. Seems like a lot of his short to intermediate throws come in low for some reason. Kaep is a very talented QB who, when he refines those parts of his game (and maybe some I'm not mentioning) will be even more formidable.
Re the o-line however, I was not as impressed. Almost no holes for Gore or Hunter and that first half, Kaep was consistently pressured, which accounts, in part, for his mediocre stats.
Finally, we need to put two good, if not great, halves together. This tendency to play almost 2 different games in one, must stop, if we're to advance to and win the SB. I've been called a hater for expressing these sentiments, but there it is.
I personally am glad that we are including Patton in the offense. Too bad we can not get McDonald involved in the offense that would make things really interesting for other teams. Defense played really well. It is clear that they are double and triple teaming Aldon and Brooks is making them pay. Can't say much more about Willis and Bowman. Cox is playing well. Defense has done very well. Offense is still a work in progress and I hope they play the next two games at full speed. Seemed that Kaep was too excited in the first half and he was not hitting his receivers well but just enough to keep the chains moving. Oline blocking was very good and especially in the three good drives of the second half - long, methodical, and wearing out the Panthers. Good play calling and good special teams. Very good game against a good team.
Originally posted by crabman82:
its a real treat to watch these lb's play. they take their turns of owning moments in the games. just like we'll be sad to see gore go, the day these lb's arent around anymore will be a sad one. even skuta getting in there and doing some things.

You can say that again.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
I disagree that calls were skewed in our favor. The refs were calling what the stupid Panther players were doing early to "set the tone" in order to keep it from escalating. Each of those early fouls was completely justified.

And any call that they feel was borderline was more than offset by the horrendous sack/blow to the head play.

I am rewatching right now and just reviewed the early hit on VD and it was ridiculous having Aikman say the ball was still catchable. When you just see the short replay or still image of the hit you can see the ball is in the air because it BOUNCED back up there.

Replay it and watch a few seconds earlier and you will see the ball bounce between Boldin and VD and as it bounces back up to VDs eye level he gets blindsided.

There was only one call that 'went in the 49ers favor' and that was when CAR got a 15 yard personal foul for head butting Crabs after the whistle. It was, what I consider, a ticky tack foul for the playoffs. Emotions are high and a harmless butting of facemasks should not result in a 15 yarder. But ok, fine, call it. Then when Boldin was not flagged for the same thing, I thought that was unfair, but I'll take it.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I personally am glad that we are including Patton in the offense. Too bad we can not get McDonald involved in the offense that would make things really interesting for other teams. Defense played really well. It is clear that they are double and triple teaming Aldon and Brooks is making them pay. Can't say much more about Willis and Bowman. Cox is playing well. Defense has done very well. Offense is still a work in progress and I hope they play the next two games at full speed. Seemed that Kaep was too excited in the first half and he was not hitting his receivers well but just enough to keep the chains moving. Oline blocking was very good and especially in the three good drives of the second half - long, methodical, and wearing out the Panthers. Good play calling and good special teams. Very good game against a good team.

I'm waiting for them to send him on the deep post route out of the slot. Gives the defense something else to worry about, and opens up the middle of the field.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by crabman82:
its a real treat to watch these lb's play. they take their turns of owning moments in the games. just like we'll be sad to see gore go, the day these lb's arent around anymore will be a sad one. even skuta getting in there and doing some things.

You can say that again.

Skuta, Wilhoite, even our backups are good, though there's no replacing the tandem of Willis/Bowman. Has there ever been such a combo??!!!
Brooks had one helluva game...again in the playoff. And really all throughout the year.

Newton going to the sideline to tell Rivera to let him sneak might be one of the dumbest move. The Niners coach probably saw that and moved Brooks inside. Next time Cam, just walkup to your coach and let him know. Not acting like you're the man.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM ]
Weird...posted twice...can we get a merge mods?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
1. Yeah I have to agree on Boldin. Dude needs to keep his cool. I don't mind the jawing back and forth and getting into defenders heads, etc... But don't do any of the head butt crap or stuff that's going to get us penalized.

2. Bowman's sack where he did the spin move around Tolbert.

3. Goal line stands have got to be the most nerve racking situation in football but when they actually go in your favor...how sweet it is.

4. People complain about the refs but I think they called a pretty good game. I don't agree with every penalty (Skuta Sack), but I think it's pretty difficult to call a game when when you have 2 phyiscal teams playing chippy. Carolina came out yesterday trying to be more aggressive and we responded with aggressive play. It's going to be the same thing in Seattle this next week. Very phyiscal and trash talking back and forth. It's hard for the refs when every play has a fight breaking out because someone is trying to be the bigger dog.

5. I usually like being a team that isn't too vanilla on offense but I liked seeing us get back to pounding the ball with Gore in the second half. The first half we tried for big plays, etc... but got away from the run. I like when we run the ball on 1st down, even if it's only for 2 or 3 yards. I know the defense knows we are going to do it, but I think it puts Kap in more favorable matchups when it's 2nd and 7, etc... It's also what the Niners are just good at. Pound the ball and see if the D can stop it. And not just in the 1st quarter...Do it the whole game to wear the opposing team down. Kap will get his big throws like he always does, but wear down the team for 60 minutes and see if the quit. I think it's the best plan to beat those guys up North.
Fine post as usual.

My 2 cents.

1). I LOVED the option pass attempt. Even though it didn't work it something we could develop.

2). Skuta, Wiloite are excellent pick ups. I hope we can resign them

3). Speaking of resigning - same goes for Dawson - he's automatic.

4). There wasn't any drop off w/Carlos not playing.

5). I totally agree w/you about Seattle. They always seem to get up for us and that 12th man seems to make a difference.

Right now we are just starting to peak. I hope we can step on the gas and leave them behind.
That pass by Boldin was trying to do two things. One was to try to score, but once Boldin saw it was not available, he threw it away. Still, this occurred early in the game where it puts the thought into the CAR defense that the 49ers are willing to do some crazy poo. It may just be enough to dampen the CAR aggressiveness in jumping up to support the run defense.