LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

2013 - Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Duplicate.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM ]
1) Kap: Another solid game. Still missing some throws but always seems to make some dynamic plays to make up for it. I'd really like to see that comp % go up. Seems to be improving as the season goes on and just having Crab on the field has made a huge difference. Peeps can look at Crabs stats and say he didn't do much, but his presence on the field forces Ds to play honest which opens up holes all over the field. Kap is doing better being patient and sitting in the pocket. He also seems to be getting off that first read quicker.

2) O-Line: Fantastic job in Pass Protection against a team that led the NFL in sacks. Also opened up holes for Frank when it mattered. Joe Staley did his Perseus imitation and slew the Kraken.

3) Boldin: Pick your poison. Who's gonna kill ya? Crab? No? Then it's Boldin. Not Boldin either? OK, we got Vernon too. Great game by Boldin. Needs to watch himself with the emotion it was kinda funny when he was calming Harbaugh down, but great game.

4) Defense: Great adjustment in the second half to completely shut Carolina down. On the only drive they threatened the Niners were able to get back to back sacks to finish the drive and push them out of field goal range.

5) Refs: No doubt, there were some bad calls. It's probably even fair to say they skewed in the 49ers direction. It's still kinda hard tho to argue you got hosed when you get blanked in the second half, lose by 13 points and get stopped TWICE from inside the 5. They even got extra life on the bogus roughing the passer and just compounded their misfortune by throwing the pick.

6) Not ready: The Panthers weren't ready. Plain and simple. There were alot of fake tough guys out there in black and they weren't impressing anyone. Particularly the officials. The 49ers didn't jump up and down after the game. They were happy to have won, but they've been here for three years now and know that this isn't where they want it to end. The Panthers played very much like this was their first playoff game.

7) Frank: He doesn't always put up the numbers, but he's always there when he needs to be. Losing him in the next few years is going to be a huge blow. I can only hope that Lattimore can take that spot or they can get someone in the draft. I like Hunter but he clearly doesn't have Franks vision.

8) LBs: Monsters. All of them. Dominated from start to finish. Panthers did nothing on the ground. Hell, the TD was a perfect throw so I don't even put THAT on the D. Poor Aldon can't get singled up to save his life, but the other guys are taking advantage of all that attention, Brooks in particular. That spin by Bowman for the sack has almost become his signature pass rush move. You'd think they'd have seen that on film but guys fall for it every single time.

9) On the Road: SOOO impressive that they are doing this in hostile environments. Poor conditions and Aaron Rodgers last week. Much better conditions but the 2nd best defense in the NFL to contend with. The Panthers had won 11 of 12 and were 7-1 at home (losing only to Seattle in week 1). That was impressive.

10) Seattle: It almost feels like the regular season was a waste. LOL. Did anyone ever really doubt it would come down to these two teams? I don't want to make a prediction, but to say I'm worried about this game would be an understatement. Seattle has struggled on O of late but that really doesn't mean anything to me. Teams struggle until they have a breakout week and you never know when it's coming. It could be this week. Maybe not. Who knows. What I do know is that's an extremely talented team playing in their house and it will require the Niners play their best game of the season to pull it off. It should be fun.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM ]
Great read.

This Seattle game worries me only in the sense that, they can't possibly show up to another game and underperform on Offense. Somethings gotta give. I feel like all those teams wasted their shot at slaying them these past weeks and now we'll get them at their best.
its a real treat to watch these lb's play. they take their turns of owning moments in the games. just like we'll be sad to see gore go, the day these lb's arent around anymore will be a sad one. even skuta getting in there and doing some things.
we struggled against the panthers in the first half, against gb all game long...thus, we will have our breakout at clink. hands down.
nice job. i want to point out too that we had much better control of the play clock and use of timeouts. that has to continue next week.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
nice job. i want to point out too that we had much better control of the play clock and use of timeouts. that has to continue next week.

towards the end of the first half i glanced up at the score and seen we had multiple timeouts left, it was a wierd feeling i'm not used to yet.
For the refs- The calls went the 49ers way and were skewed in their favor but that ties directly into what you said in #6 about them not being ready. The Panthers came out with that fake toughguy routine of late hits along with bumping and playing after the whistle. They chose to come out and try to be extra physical, they chose to take late hits and do unsportsmanlike conduct in order to try and set the tone.... it backfired. They have nobody to blame but themselves for that silly gameplan of intimidation.

The Panthers should have paid attention to the directive the NFL issued to its officials this week. To call the game like it was a regular season game and to stop doing that "let them play" crap because it was the playoffs. Same rules.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Great post as usual.

I think Patton deserves some credit as well, him getting targeted and making a catch has to keep the defense honest, not to mention he is good blocker. Any comments for the rest you all on this assessment?
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

towards the end of the first half i glanced up at the score and seen we had multiple timeouts left, it was a wierd feeling i'm not used to yet.

lol, seriously!

Was a bit disappointed that VD and Crabtree couldn't contribute more throughout the game. But that TD by VD and that huge 3rd down catch by Crabtree made up for it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by awp8912:
Great read.

This Seattle game worries me only in the sense that, they can't possibly show up to another game and underperform on Offense. Somethings gotta give. I feel like all those teams wasted their shot at slaying them these past weeks and now we'll get them at their best.

hawks are struggling on offense too. So it goes both ways. Its' gonna come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i have ripped our pass protection in the past but zero to b***h about yesterday. good job. i see a few smart panther fans have said it was not the refs fault the team could not punch it in twice from the goal line. dawson is just so good that we are starting to forget about the kicker now that we are back to having a good one. our unsung depth guys from the guys on the d line to skuta to osgood taking care of ginn on kick returns are just so under rated
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
deja vu
Originally posted by communist:
we struggled against the panthers in the first half, against gb all game long...thus, we will have our breakout at clink. hands down.

We struggled against GB all game long? That's news to me.
Share 49ersWebzone