LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin and Andy Lee had passer Ratings of 39.6... Opinion on the Trickery?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anquan Boldin and Andy Lee had passer Ratings of 39.6... Opinion on the Trickery?

Hmm, there was a strategic reason for the fake punt? I thought it was just a giant "f**k you" to the Panthers who kept pushing, shoving, and fighting towards the end of the game. They even had a neutral zone infraction during a QB kneel. Total horses**t and I'm surprised no one has started a thread about it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Probably asking a lot of Boldin, but had he looked to his left, Gore and VD were left all alone on that side. he gets it to either of them, it's a walk in TD. As soon as they knew Boldin was gonna throw it, all defenders converged to side he was running.

on the boldin play, the panthers can just rely on their front 7 to stop the run, so their corners don't need to look in the backfield. I agree though that the play should have been designed for Vernon
Originally posted by socalniner:
on the boldin play, the panthers can just rely on their front 7 to stop the run, so their corners don't need to look in the backfield. I agree though that the play should have been designed for Vernon

Ehh.. too risky throwing across his body
I liked the option.

The judgement on throwing the pass is questionable but not the play itself.

He shouldn't have thrown the pass but it is a good play.
that fake punt at the end was like the staley catch in arizona, giving the next opponent something to think about.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Probably asking a lot of Boldin, but had he looked to his left, Gore and VD were left all alone on that side. he gets it to either of them, it's a walk in TD. As soon as they knew Boldin was gonna throw it, all defenders converged to side he was running.

I was thinking about this the same last night. Like why don't they have Boldin or Gore throw it across the field to VD. Like Alex Smith did in 2011, where he scrambled deep to his right, got the defense moving right, then throw it to VD on the backside.

Hell, just throw it back to Kaep then, like a swing pass to Kaep and let him knife through the other side
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I was scared to death on that Boldin throw. Thankful we avoided a turnover.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Lee should ALWAYS throw the ball to the gunner if the opponent is stupid enough to leave him uncovered, thats football 101.

I was telling my buddy to watch for Lee to throw the ball and boom there he goes lol

s**tty throw though lol
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I was thinking about this the same last night. Like why don't they have Boldin or Gore throw it across the field to VD. Like Alex Smith did in 2011, where he scrambled deep to his right, got the defense moving right, then throw it to VD on the backside.

Hell, just throw it back to Kaep then, like a swing pass to Kaep and let him knife through the other side

looking at that pic is seems like boldin may have been able to reverse direction and run for a good 5-10 yards. The O-lineman were beat but would have had correct leverage if boldin runs to the left. Keuchly woulda tracked him down eventually though

Originally posted by mod:
Lee should ALWAYS throw the ball to the gunner if the opponent is stupid enough to leave him uncovered, thats football 101.

I was telling my buddy to watch for Lee to throw the ball and boom there he goes lol

s**tty throw though lol

Osgood should have attacked the ball
i missed the fake punt. harbaughs in playoff form tho being an a*****e lol. up 13 points at the end of a game and he tries a fake punt hahaha. i love it
Share 49ersWebzone