LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin and Andy Lee had passer Ratings of 39.6... Opinion on the Trickery?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anquan Boldin and Andy Lee had passer Ratings of 39.6... Opinion on the Trickery?

We all saw two "trick" plays in the game. Personally I hated the Anquan pass play, that could have been picked. The fake punt looked good, but didn't work... wish we hadn't wasted that one :(
Originally posted by mattster03:
We all saw two "trick" plays in the game. Personally I hated the Anquan pass play, that could have been picked. The fake punt looked good, but didn't work... wish we hadn't wasted that one :(

I'm slightly confused - you wished we hadn't wasted the fake punt? Because you wished we had saved it for another game?
Originally posted by horsecore:
I'm slightly confused - you wished we hadn't wasted the fake punt? Because you wished we had saved it for another game?

I guess that's what I'm trying to say. We really caught them off guard and I believe it could have worked 7 or 8 times out of 10. Now it's something Seattle will be looking for...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Not much of a trick.

Andy Lee had two options.

1) Throw to the uncovered gunner to his left
2) OPT IN to kicking into an 11 man rush

He chose wisely.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
The boldin pass play was dumb. The Andy Lee pass was perfect for what the panthers were doing. It was more of opportunistic play than a trick play.
Can't play cute against tough defenses. Every cute play call is a wasted play. Can't waste plays in tight games.

We only had one cute one today. The fake punt happened when the game was already over.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

I guess that's what I'm trying to say. We really caught them off guard and I believe it could have worked 7 or 8 times out of 10. Now it's something Seattle will be looking for...
only reason he attempted the pass was because they were sending everybody. He could've got hurt if he tried to kick it. Even when teams do try to block a punt, they don't leave the guys on the edge uncovered.
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM ]
Maybe Jim learned from Big brother how to utilize the fake punt, John could be behind the scenes helping little brother win himself a ring too. So Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner will be more pleasant.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

only reason he attempted the pass was because they were sending everybody. He could've got hurt if he tried to kick it. Even when teams do try to block a punt, they don't leave the guys on the edge uncovered.

I guess I didn't see that they were sending the house. But if that's the case, shouldn't there be more fake punt passes at the end of the game? Still seemed like a trick play to me...
[ Edited by mattster03 on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]

I guess I didn't see that they were sending the house. But if that's the case, shouldn't there be more fake punt passes at the end of the game? Still seemed like a trick play to me...

if i remember, BOTH gunners were open. they were selling out for the block. ginn wasnt even back there to receive

I'm thinking if Andy had completed that pass, the receiver would of just tried to milk the clock and not go for the end zone. No need to run up the score. Kind of like when Kap had a sure score last year against the Jets and he slid before scoring.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
IDK, but pretty sure the call was to punt it. Knowing that they might bring the house to block, which they did, they didn't even have anyone deep to return, I'm sure the coaches told Lee that if they leave Osgood uncovered, just throw it to him. The panthers are retarded for not leaving a man out there on him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PineNut:
I'm thinking if Andy had completed that pass, the receiver would of just tried to milk the clock and not go for the end zone. No need to run up the score. Kind of like when Kap had a sure score last year against the Jets and he slid before scoring.

he definitely would've just got the first then slid down.
Originally posted by PineNut:

he definitely would've just got the first then slid down.

Exactly. Our guys typically try to run out the clock when the game is in the bag.
Liked the fake punt, but Lee needs to do better than that...
Share 49ersWebzone