There are 169 users in the forums

Hey Greg Roman, this is how we beat the Seahawks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hit em with some lamicheal james
Originally posted by socalniner:
Maybe in the offseason, but there's no way we can practice this in less than a week. We're just going to do what got us this far.

I dont agree. We can use it when we run to see how they react. Its simple enough to do with one weeks practice. Im sure we are going to see new wrinkles that we have been practicing and havent run in a game yet.
I appreciate the concept you are looking for in the pass game. Really though. If you look at our offense our Jumbo Packages give us the best chance to do this. We are very effective passing in trips formations. Plus we can stack our tight ends which is very effective and when we make the LBS tight and the safeties help it at least get's the wideouts in one on ones.

We must commit to the run and then take advantage when we get looks in the passing game. That simple. If there is one concept we aren't using that I would like to see is to use Vance McDonald as an actual TE. Too often he comes in and runs vernon's routes. Not his strength. He would be much more dependable as an outlet and working traditional TE roles and if you want to get cute using him as a slot guy.
  • thl408
The 49ers DO stack WRs. Many times, Kap will call for motion from the WR lined out wide, who will motion in to form a stack with the slot WR (line up behind the slot WR). Then before the CBs have a chance to communicate to organize coverage responsibilities, the ball is snapped hoping to cause confusion. Kap will do this when his pre-snap read tells him man coverage. The 49ers will also use bunch formations which we all see.

I agree with those saying run the ball to beat the hawks. If there's a weakness in that defense, it's with their run defense. Establish a run game, then work from there. It's not easy in SEA since using a silent count will negate the advantage that the offense is supposed to have by knowing the snap count and being the first ones to explode out of a three point stance. With a silent count, everyone is going at the snap of the ball. No more advantage for the Oline.
Good idea in concept but as a DB's coach I'd still go with the press, especially the front guy and I'd choose to push him one way or the other with the other db knowing which way I'm doing so. The theory is to disrupt the route, disrupt the timing and create more time for pressure to develop on the QB. Likely coverage would be cover 2 with safeties halving the deep halves and the corners having man coverage underneath. Make Kap beat me. Its the basis of Seattle's game plan for us already. Just play tough and aggressive and disrupt. Its on the WR's to play tough and overcome the press.

I have seen the 49ers use a tight triple stack from time to time but it doesn't seem to be too effective with our personnel. We need one of those quick, shifty guys. Some have been screaming for LaMike to take up the role and I agree. There are aspects to our offense where personnel hasn't even been used yet or used properly.
A post above mentioned motions, which I like. We better not call or do any shifting tho, as in Clink, that is bound to fail...and I don't think it has helped us as much as the penalties gotten from it...especially in C link. So NO Shifts, which are virtually impossible to audible at Clink anyway.

If they show box 8 or 9, then throw the 1 step short crossing routes or slants. Complete those passes, and sooner than later they will get back to a 4 or 5 man DL. THEN run frank. Frank running into a box 8 or 9 just doesn't work. Occasionally, maybe, routinely no.

Early on it will be apparent who is doubled and who isn't. Throw to the guy not doubled. Kap tried to throw to crabs in Carolina, but wasn't consistently successful until he threw to Anquan, who was singled. Same deal in SEA, except we have that extra 3rd all pro, Vernon...and I can see him getting some 8-10 yd passes also.

On D, shut down marshawn, and put a spy on russ Wilson. That wins. Oh, yes...no stupid penalties, like the panthers , who gave us 4...or was it 5 very needed 1st downs on stupid, really stupid personal fouls. Can you imagine if Goldson were still here? We probably would have had as many penalties as panthers...and maybe lost.
I dont get people calling this a gimmick. It's a useful concept
If Gore and Hunter have more rushing attempts than Kap has passing attempts, we win.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
If Gore and Hunter have more rushing attempts than Kap has passing attempts, we win.

We will have 10+ three and outs if that's our gameplan. We lose
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:

We will have 10+ three and outs if that's our gameplan. We lose

I dont think so. Seattle can be run on and the best way to attack is to lineup and play smash mouth football. Kap had at least 5 balls that should have been picked off by Carolina, the Seattle secondary makes those plays. This game will be won by our o-line and running backs.

No huddle and/or call one play in the huddle and be done with it
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Good idea in concept but as a DB's coach I'd still go with the press, especially the front guy and I'd choose to push him one way or the other with the other db knowing which way I'm doing so. The theory is to disrupt the route, disrupt the timing and create more time for pressure to develop on the QB. Likely coverage would be cover 2 with safeties halving the deep halves and the corners having man coverage underneath. Make Kap beat me. Its the basis of Seattle's game plan for us already. Just play tough and aggressive and disrupt. Its on the WR's to play tough and overcome the press.

I have seen the 49ers use a tight triple stack from time to time but it doesn't seem to be too effective with our personnel. We need one of those quick, shifty guys. Some have been screaming for LaMike to take up the role and I agree. There are aspects to our offense where personnel hasn't even been used yet or used properly.

Seattle plays cover 3. They mix in 2 safety looks but its mostly Thomas as a single high. They make it work because their DBs interrupt thw timing of route meanwhile you have an 8 man box or 4 guys that can drop into a 4 man shell. Chancellor is essentially an OLB. I think with Browner out those corners lost a strong piece and they know it. Boldin and Crab can east against these DBs. Honestly CB may be the weak link because they're so isolated. Seattle run D would suck if they didn't have the ability to drop Chancellor in the box to play contain. Seattles front 8 is essentially a 4-4. The Dline bull rush the interior gaps while the OLB and Chancellor play contain. Most systema have a DE as at least weakside contain but Seattle drops down chancellor and lets the dlibe blitz the interior and cause alot of havoc. But you could split a TE outwide and it would change the assignments without altering our personnel. The Saint were getting it done against their run D but the Saints run a zone stretch scheme that less reliant on man blocking. Both our guards had problems getting to the second level yesterday. Our system is nuch more complicated than t he Saints but It seems like the Oline starts to play their beat football in the playoffs. I watched Staley and Davis for a half and they were excellent
a run up the middle which take 5 seconds to form.
Saints had some success running the ball...while I didn't see every snap of that game, it seemed that stretch plays were working. Stretch plays aren't really Gore's forte, so could be something where we see Hunter get a few more carries.
We can't consistently run into stacked boxes like pasodoc said. We will see a lot of those I'm sure, so we will have to beat that with a quick passing game. Use the short throws as an extension of the run, long handoffs essentially(bill Walsh). I've no problem staying committed to the run, but it can't be all we do on every first down against Seattle. Take some shot plays with play action to Vernon or Crabtree. Getting a few chunk plays will go a long way to helping out Frank. Bubble screens to the receivers would be a welcome sight, we've had success when we actually use those instead of a run up the middle on first down all the time.
[ Edited by K1ngCoopa24 on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone