LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Hey Greg Roman, this is how we beat the Seahawks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As much as I hate the Seahawks, I have to admit their secondary is bar none the best in the league. We cannot get off the line/create separation against them one on one, which helps them double Vernon. The ONLY way we can win this game is to consistently move the ball with our passing game, utilizing Crab and Boldin. We need to look at Chip Kelly and how he plays his receivers:

The concept is to stack the receivers to neutralize press coverage, which is Seattles biggest threat to us. If we can utilize this concept, we can hit the quick passing game and soften that pass rush.

Here you see the concept in action: The top receivers clear out the coverage while the bottom receivers run underneath.

There are a lot of different looks in this concept, sometimes using 3 receivers in a stack. Why not stick LaMike in one of these formations and hit him with a quick screen?

Another benefit, if we run a few of these looks we can potentially open up the middle of the field and have Vernon do what he does best. Just some thoughts, I hope Roman can learn from observing the Eagles. This is a copycat league after all
we do not need gimmicks to beat the weakhawks. run gore left, right and up the middle
eh no need for gimmicks. Just play smashmouth football and smart football.
I've seen us use bunch formations on occasion this year, including against Seattle. They definitely help avoid jamming at the line. We don't stack like the Eagles do, but we don't need to. Just need to play our game. We're the better team man-for-man. Just have to take care of the ball in that environment.
I'll give you an upvote for taking the time to post all that

Boy I'll bet you'd s**t bricks if the 49ers employed something like this on Sunday
Didn't the 49ers do this a few times in the game at Candlestick? Not these exact formations but stacking WR/WR or WR/TE to give one a free release. I feel like I remember seeing that a few times and it worked fine... but you can't do it everytime because you can't let Seattle dictate your formations or you've already lost.
I agree with the OP. Seattle's pass defense is hands down the best in football. But to go up there and come out with a win, we HAVE to challenge them. Sure, let's go run heavy (as their run defense has been suspect lately) but when it comes time to throw, we have to limit their ability to jam (not to mention hold), receivers coming off the line.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM ]
  • thl408
The 49ers do use bunch/stack formations to help beat man coverage. That 3rd pic is too extreme. I would not count on them doing that. First game this season SEA went mainly man coverage. Second game was a good mix of man and zone. The good thing with bunching is that it helps to get a release. The bad part is it can take a bit longer for routes to develop since they have to eventually break apart.
After last game, Coach said Crabs was the best pass catcher he had ever seen. You knew Panthers heard and read that, and of course, doubled Crabs...making Vernon and Anquan the guys to be open. I did see crabs grab a 90 mph fastball about 4 feet over his head and 3 feet behind him...wow was that an awkward but fantastic catch... but few if any others. Kap just rode Boldin to victory with what, 12 chances and 8 receptions for ~120-130 yds. And Vernon got that fantastic TD. Both guys were able to do that due to the Crabs statement the week before by JH.

Against SEA, you know #81 will be doubled, so Vernon and Crabs should get most of the chances.

In the last 4 games, Brady has thrown for less than 200 yds. Russ Wilson about the same, maybe only 125-150. Kap is right in there. All 3 teams have had near or over 200+ rushing yards...and all three are still in the SB contest. Yes, only Peyton is the outlier. Funny that when the SB gets closer and closer the best qBs aren't bothered by low passing yds in favor of big rushing yds...and three of the remaining teams are like that. SEA vs SF, we have 3 all pro receivers, and kap has been passing well. Both SEA and SF have great running games. Can we break the C-link jinx...not too very long after it was broken just a few 3-4 weeks ago?

Also, post game, Navarro and Patrick were interviewed and noted how hard Coaches all week had pounded into their heads no stupid unnecessary personal fouls. We got basically zip(Skuta foul was unintended) and Navarro jumping over the O lineman was it. The panthers, however, gave us 4 first downs on penalties, and multiple other penalties that were ridiculously stupid. Very wise of our coach...who got a legit 15 yrder of his own on Vernon's TD.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If we do not turn the ball over we will win.

Pound it down their suspect front seven with a consistent and creative running game. For pass plays, motion our receivers into a bunch formation with a quick snap for a free release. Use VD to put pressure on their safeties with seam and post routes; I want 1-on-1 coverage for Boldin and Crabs. I also want to see more read-option from Kap, especially in the red zone.

On defense stack the box to stop Lynch - don't let him get going. Unless it's 3rd and long, play as if #24 will get the ball - make Wilson beat you with his arm. Clog the midget's passing lanes so he can't see over the fence. Have a defender spy on Wilson's right side, where he likes to roll out. Aldon Smith was quiet today, he needs to show up big time next week.
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
We will use some bunch formations and motions to get free releases but it won't be a lot...
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
After last game, Coach said Crabs was the best pass catcher he had ever seen. You knew Panthers heard and read that, and of course, doubled Crabs...making Vernon and Anquan the guys to be open. I did see crabs grab a 90 mph fastball about 4 feet over his head and 3 feet behind him...wow was that an awkward but fantastic catch... but few if any others. Kap just rode Boldin to victory with what, 12 chances and 8 receptions for ~120-130 yds. And Vernon got that fantastic TD. Both guys were able to do that due to the Crabs statement the week before by JH.

Against SEA, you know #81 will be doubled, so Vernon and Crabs should get most of the chances.

In the last 4 games, Brady has thrown for less than 200 yds. Russ Wilson about the same, maybe only 125-150. Kap is right in there. All 3 teams have had near or over 200+ rushing yards...and all three are still in the SB contest. Yes, only Peyton is the outlier. Funny that when the SB gets closer and closer the best qBs aren't bothered by low passing yds in favor of big rushing yds...and three of the remaining teams are like that. SEA vs SF, we have 3 all pro receivers, and kap has been passing well. Both SEA and SF have great running games. Can we break the C-link jinx...not too very long after it was broken just a few 3-4 weeks ago?

Also, post game, Navarro and Patrick were interviewed and noted how hard Coaches all week had pounded into their heads no stupid unnecessary personal fouls. We got basically zip(Skuta foul was unintended) and Navarro jumping over the O lineman was it. The panthers, however, gave us 4 first downs on penalties, and multiple other penalties that were ridiculously stupid. Very wise of our coach...who got a legit 15 yrder of his own on Vernon's TD.
If I am the players, I am giving JH a hard time for getting an unsportsmanlike penalty. (:

Boldin is the one I worry about. He is always on the edge of getting a penalty. I think the refs give him a little leniency since he has been in the league so long, but it can easily bite us in the future.
The OP is right in that we've to be CREATIVE and think outside of the box from what Roman has been doing.

Whoever said, run gore left right and middle is out of his mind. Gore will get STUFFED.

We can still keep our identity but we need to add different things in order to win. Pete Carroll loved to throw in and "mix it up" while he was at USC too. Hope he doesn't against us
Originally posted by montana2rice:
The OP is right in that we've to be CREATIVE and think outside of the box from what Roman has been doing.

Whoever said, run gore left right and middle is out of his mind. Gore will get STUFFED.

We can still keep our identity but we need to add different things in order to win. Pete Carroll loved to throw in and "mix it up" while he was at USC too. Hope he doesn't against us

Wrong. The Saints ran all over that front 8. It was actually a winning game plan if they didn't fumble the ball and miss FG. Bunched WR only works because of the route combinations catch DBs off guard but they get used to it so its not an every down thing. Ofcourse you mix it in but I would run alot of 2TE 2WR. Let Boldin and Crab exploit the single coverage. Try to see if you can exploit the single high safety qith Davis. If nothing is open dont be afraid to exploit the underneath route and flat for short gains. Stay out of 3rd and long. You have to run the ball tho. You cant become predictable with that pass rush. You have to wear them down. They may cone out hot but they wore the Panthers doqn today by running the ball. They neutralized the pass rush by mixing.in the run. I actually feel like Roman may have figured the Seattle D out to an extent. He clearly found some weakness in week 12. I think they're weaker now and the Panthers are a great warm up.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone