LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

The future of our CB`s in San Fran?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watching Cox last weekend play all but one snap on defense makes me think he is getting a real serious look as our future Nickel back. Wright was healthy according to coach but played minimal snaps. I think this is the going away party for Carlos Rogers. As we all know he is scheduled to make $6.25 million next year and $7.25 million in 2015. I dont expect him to return unless he takes a massive pay cut. I think with the emergence of Brock and the steady play of Brown we are slowly phasing out the overpriced and ever so declining soon to be a 33 year old Rogers. My prediction is we let Rogers walk and keep obviously Brock, Brown, Cox and Wright as our dime. Even though Wright may be the more physically talented player Cox has a much better understanding of the defensive concepts and plays.

Does anyone else agree or even find it odd that Cox got off the couch to play all but one snap in a road playoff game in the elements against the Packers? Is it simply because he played in Denver and is familiar with bad weather games? Something has to be up. What do you think it is?
Carlos is gone, that's pretty much a given. Harbaugh believes that how you practice translates to the game, and Wright didn't really practice much and when he did, Cox must have clearly showed more.
I like our future at corner. We have options. Next year we will have Brock and Culliver under contract. Cox and Wright could be brought back on the cheap.

Brown could be back depending on how much interest he gets on the open market. Hard to see Carlos coming back next year when you factor his age and salary. He's still a decent player in my eyes, but the other guys are younger, cheaper, and probably better.

We always have the draft and plenty of draft picks to fill needs. We're in great shape.
Brock and Culliver have proven they can play at a high level. They'll absolutely spend a first or a second on the best corner available in the draft because they know they need to build that position. They'll probably find a strong safety as well. Brown will probably leave for more money and Rodgers probably won't be back unless he wants to take a pay cut. Cox and Wright will be back. They'll go into next year deeper in corners.
Originally posted by crake49:
Brock and Culliver have proven they can play at a high level. They'll absolutely spend a first or a second on the best corner available in the draft because they know they need to build that position. They'll probably find a strong safety as well. Brown will probably leave for more money and Rodgers probably won't be back unless he wants to take a pay cut. Cox and Wright will be back. They'll go into next year deeper in corners.

I like Culliver and he has made some big plays, But he has also yielded some as well. Projecting how a player will come back after a serious injury is like predicting how a reoccurring hemorrhoid is going to respond, You just never know!

The problem I see is that rookie corners rarely succeed in the NFL. If we are relying on a rookie then we might be in big trouble.
[ Edited by 49erTravis on Jan 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM ]
Brock and Wright should be back for us. Culliver will be back in the mix as we'll. The team is trying hard to keep Brown around, but he'll find more money in FA. He's the wildcard.

If Brown walks, we'll likely draft a vet later in FA at a discounted price, them come back and draft a rookie early. If Brown signs (and Wright), there's not much pressure to draft a rookie CB early.
Carlos won't be back unless he takes a big paycut. I don't see that happening.
Originally posted by 49erTravis:
I like Culliver and he has made some big plays, But he has also yielded some as well.

So has every other CB that has ever played in the NFL.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM ]
Locks: Brock and Culliver
Probably be back: Cox and Wright
Probably wont be back: Rogers and Brown
Draft: High Draftee and late Draftee
FA: at least 1 other FA, probably a high draft pick that has under performed for his original team
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erTravis:
Does anyone else agree or even find it odd that Cox got off the couch to play all but one snap in a road playoff game in the elements against the Packers? Is it simply because he played in Denver and is familiar with bad weather games? Something has to be up. What do you think it is?

$$$ had to be a factor. You can sit on the couch and eat bon bons, drink beer and get fat...or, you can go out and play some NFL football in a prime time NFL game and make some bank! it might also open up opportunities for other teams to sign you later on.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
FA: at least 1 other FA, probably a high draft pick that has under performed for his original team

Good call, I hope we work something out with Brown.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Sounds about right. Also, I think D. Morris is going to be in the mix (boy has top speed and rookie year out of the way)...
Originally posted by socalniner:
Carlos is gone, that's pretty much a given. Harbaugh believes that how you practice translates to the game, and Wright didn't really practice much and when he did, Cox must have clearly showed more.

I don't think it's a given. He could take a pay cut, and even if not and we cut him, he could still ultimate decide to re-sign if he doesn't get a bigger offer elsewhere than what we're willing to offer. I think we might be willing to offer $2.5-$3 mil/year. It's no slam dunk that another team will offer anything significantly higher than that.

Between Rogers and Brown, if the over/under was set at 0.5 for how many would be brought back, you'd really bet the under?
Originally posted by kap2crab:

Between Rogers and Brown, if the over/under was set at 0.5 for how many would be brought back, you'd really bet the under?

Ya, I just don't see Rogers or Brown being legitamitely better than a cheap FA or Draftee... Baalke doesn't covet the positions as much as Front 7 guys.
Share 49ersWebzone