LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

If Roman Leaves, how about Chud?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niteshade80:
I would say a shocker here........Tom Rathman, I would use this period as a time to start bringing in the former players from the Walsh era like Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana and other former players to become position and coordinator positions, eventually to become head coach. Can one imagine Joe Montana as the head coach? wow, that would be cool.

Being a great player doesn't mean you're likely to be a great coach. Look up Mike Singletary for further details on that. I doubt most of these guys have any interest in being involved in any sort of formal coaching position as well.
What the Chud
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I would say a shocker here........Tom Rathman, I would use this period as a time to start bringing in the former players from the Walsh era like Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana and other former players to become position and coordinator positions, eventually to become head coach. Can one imagine Joe Montana as the head coach? wow, that would be cool.

stop it. this has been rehashed to death. great players do not make great head coaches , this is just emotional blather and why on earth is there such a clammer to bring back x niners to this team? montana and lott would make bad coaches and they would quit in a year. they think everyone should play the game like they did(which is a reason why bob gibson was a awful pitching coach for the braves as he could not stand the fact todays players lacked his intensity ) their brains do not work the same way. there is no reason to bring in x niners . why? to bring back the glory days?? please. its no longer their team and their time. montana as a head coach is just laughable in my opinion,
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Being a great player doesn't mean you're likely to be a great coach. Look up Mike Singletary for further details on that. I doubt most of these guys have any interest in being involved in any sort of formal coaching position as well.
forest gregg , bart star etc etc
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

Norv? Seriously? Not gonna happen.

You're contradicting yourself there. Also, there's no way that there's no way we wouldn't bring an outsider on. It's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

My point was that it would be someone with a history in the Harbaugh system...thats why they could go to Stanford.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Jack Harbaugh

this. i said it in another thread too. itll never happen but it would be fun as hell to watch these two guys work lol

No it wouldn't. How'd it work out with the Shanahans or the Kiffins
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Kubiak. Think of it, deeply routetd in the WCO, has history with the niners, runs a very creative running game, known a s a good QB developer.

We don't need a QB developer out of our OC. Harbaugh is king of QB developers and Chryst can complement him. Our OC just needs to be a great play-caller with run-game/blocking scheme creativity like Roman.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Kubiak. Think of it, deeply routetd in the WCO, has history with the niners, runs a very creative running game, known a s a good QB developer.

We don't need a QB developer out of our OC. Harbaugh is king of QB developers and Chryst can complement him. Our OC just needs to be a great play-caller with run-game/blocking scheme creativity like Roman.
roman and great play caller do not belong in the same sentence in my opinion
Originally posted by SofaKing:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

You're contradicting yourself there. Also, there's no way that there's no way we wouldn't bring an outsider on. It's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

It's certainly possible, but less likely when you have an offensive HC. They tend to promote within, or hire someone who already has familiarity running their scheme. Defensive HCs are typically not married to any offensive scheme, nor have the expertise on that side of the ball, which is why you see so many of them cycle through coordinators of all backgrounds before finding the right fit.

Hiring someone from the Stanford staff would not be a contradiction, because they obviously run Harbaugh's scheme. Hiring a complete outsider would require the new OC to scrap much of what he did in the past, and adjust to a new philosophy. That doesn't happen often, which is why the Kelly-Shurmur pairing was so unique. It's the exception, not the rule.

Exactly. I'm glad someone understood my point.

Pep Hamilton might have been good, but he's in Indy now.

BTW, I'm not sying the OC SHOULD be Chryst. I'm saying its very possible it WILL be Chryst. Harbaugh has known Roman will get another job for some time. He won't be caught flat-footed. I'm sure he has a plan and I'm pretty sure he probably already has his next guy on his staff already. Could be Cryst. Could be Morton. I thought it might be Drevno, but he's already got another job.

This isn't a Hostler reboot. Nolan panicked because they lost Norv late in the process. Harbaugh won't panic. He's known this was a possibility for a long time. A big reason why Harbaugh was hired was because he was an offensive coach. The team was tired of learning a new offense every single year. Harbaugh brought stability to the offensive side of the ball and they WILL NOT change that in order to bring in Norv Turner. Not gonna happen.

It will be a guy on the staff, a guy from Stanford, or someone he's worked with in the past. Count on it.

At this point though, Roman might stay...especially if the Niners keep winning.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Jack Harbaugh

this. i said it in another thread too. itll never happen but it would be fun as hell to watch these two guys work lol

No it wouldn't. How'd it work out with the Shanahans or the Kiffins

Guess everyone forgets Jack was the RB coach at Stanford for there bowl game in 2009.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Guess everyone forgets Jack was the RB coach at Stanford for there bowl game in 2009.

One game. He's gonna be 75 years old, no way he gets back into coaching.
Originally posted by cciowa:
roman and great play caller do not belong in the same sentence in my opinion

The 'like Roman' reference was in regards to the run game/blocking scheme creativity which he's shown to be great at.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
You guys are nuts.

It's certainly possible, but less likely when you have an offensive HC. They tend to promote within, or hire someone who already has familiarity running their scheme. Defensive HCs are typically not married to any offensive scheme, nor have the expertise on that side of the ball, which is why you see so many of them cycle through coordinators of all backgrounds before finding the right fit.

Hiring someone from the Stanford staff would not be a contradiction, because they obviously run Harbaugh's scheme. Hiring a complete outsider would require the new OC to scrap much of what he did in the past, and adjust to a new philosophy. That doesn't happen often, which is why the Kelly-Shurmur pairing was so unique. It's the exception, not the rule.

Exactly. I'm glad someone understood my point.

Pep Hamilton might have been good, but he's in Indy now.

BTW, I'm not sying the OC SHOULD be Chryst. I'm saying its very possible it WILL by Chryst. Harbaugh has known Roman will get another job for some time. He won't be caught flat footed. I'm sure he has a plan and I'm pretty sure he probably already has his next guy on his staff already. Could be Cryst. Could be Morton. I thought it might be Drevno, but he's already got another job.

This isn't a Hostler reboot. Nolan panicked becasue they lost Norv late in the process. Harbaugh won't panic. He's known this was a possibility for a long time. A big reason why Harbaugh was hired was because he was an offensive coach. The team was tired of learning a new offense every single year. Harbaugh braight stability to the offensive side of the ball and they WILL NOT change that in order to bring in Norv Turner. Not gonna happen.

It will be a guy on the staff, a guy from Stanford, or someone he's worked with in the past. Count on it.

At this point though, Roman might stay...especially if the Niners keep winning.

I think it's all a toss up and no fan has any idea what the hell Harbaugh has in mind. It could very well be a promotion from within, it could very well be an outsider. I'm by no means on any sort of Norv Turner bandwagon, but hypothetically if we did hire Turner, it wouldn't be our offense adjusting to what Turner wants to do, it would be Turner adjusting to what we want to do.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

One game. He's gonna be 75 years old, no way he gets back into coaching.

Well of course he isn't going to get back into coaching. Only point i was making was that it had already happened.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You guys are nuts.

The whole "he runs a different offense" thing is so overrated. People act like an OC can't adjust play calling based on what a team requires. Trestman came on to replace Shanahan, was told to call the WHO and he called a purer version than Shanahan had even. This offense is largely predicated on running the ball and vertical passing, both strengths of Norv. I don't think you promote someone just because they are there, that's how you get a guy like Hostler.

For those advocating Chryst, find me one, just one, not two, not three, but one successful coordinator on either side of the ball who went 14 years in between gigs that wasn't a head coach during some portion of that time? Hell even Jimmy Raye didn't go that long between OC jobs. I think there's plenty of good reason why after Chryst fizzled out in San Diego, that no team came knocking on his door to be an OC. One of my very best friends is a long-term Chargers fan, I mean going back to both of us watching the 49ers-Chargers Superbowl together when we were younger, even to this day if you bring up Chryst's name it results in a steady stream of inappropriate four letter words. To say that his playcalling was awful would be being very generous. People focus on the Ryan Leaf season but forget that he was equally bad in 1999 with Harbaugh as the QB.

I think if Roman goes, Harbaugh's selection of an OC will be very telling about him in general. Does he promote a mediocre candidate because they are simply around, or does he bring in somebody from outside the organization with perhaps a fresh perspective and some new ideas. You can easily find someone to run this offense, the basics of it are Infante passing downfield and a Bo-Ball running game, the whole "WCO" angle is largely overplayed.

It doesn't have to be Norv, but someone experienced with calling a vertical passing offense as well as having strong credentials in calling the run game would most definitely be welcome. Norv was included simple because he did very well with the 49ers when he was here, a lot of his offensive tenets matchup well with Harbaugh's and Gore already had the best season of his career with Norv calling the plays. That said, I would like to find someone highly competent in calling passing offense especially, there's a lot of good candidates out there and the whole "they don't fit the system" excuse is kind of a bogus. There really isn't a system, not the way Andy Reid has in KC or some other teams, its a mish-mash of a variety of things but the general philosophy is heavy-run offense and vertical passing. Someone like Hue Jackson could also do very well with this offense.

Harbaugh's brother brought in a guy off the street and replaced their previous OC without missing a beat and they won a Superbowl in the process. The key is someone that meshes well with Harbaugh when it comes to offensive philosophy and there's plenty who would be good fits for this team out there.

Great post.
Share 49ersWebzone