There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Roman Leaves, how about Chud?

Originally posted by JackPardeePants:
Norv Turner runs a completely differen't system-offense than what Harbaugh likes. Makes no sense. This isn't fantasy coaching.

Pat Shurmur ran a completely different offense than Chip Kelly too.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

Norv? Seriously? Not gonna happen.

You're contradicting yourself there. Also, there's no way that there's no way we wouldn't bring an outsider on. It's absolutely in the realm of possibility.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

You're contradicting yourself there. Also, there's no way that there's no way we wouldn't bring an outsider on. It's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

It's certainly possible, but less likely when you have an offensive HC. They tend to promote within, or hire someone who already has familiarity running their scheme. Defensive HCs are typically not married to any offensive scheme, nor have the expertise on that side of the ball, which is why you see so many of them cycle through coordinators of all backgrounds before finding the right fit.

Hiring someone from the Stanford staff would not be a contradiction, because they obviously run Harbaugh's scheme. Hiring a complete outsider would require the new OC to scrap much of what he did in the past, and adjust to a new philosophy. That doesn't happen often, which is why the Kelly-Shurmur pairing was so unique. It's the exception, not the rule.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM ]
Roman interviewed for Penn State this week, per nfl network.
Actually Hue Jackson would be a very good choice,He knows the west coast offense,has a very good passing game.
Gonna be Chryst, then we're going to draft Keller Chryst to replace Kap in three years
I know hes probably not on anyones radar around here, and not likely he is on many teams radar in the NFL, but i have become really infatuated with Tom Herman, his Offense, and his resume as an OC and QB coach. I mentioned him a while back in one of these threads, i think it was in a discussion with phoenix. But anyways, I dont have any delusions that he would be a real option, but i do think his style would mesh well with harbaughs and his resume as an OC and QB coach speaks for itself. i think he is a real up and comer. He is actually a card carrying member of MENSA.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/herman_tom00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Herman_(American_football)

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1361719.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/20/up-and-coming-ncaa-football-coaches/1782547/
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM ]
Originally posted by 1Crabtree5:
Roman interviewed for Penn State this week, per nfl network.

Penn St offers Vanderbilts Franklin the job
Jack Harbaugh
It needs to be a harbaugh guy. SOmeone who knows and can run the system.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Jack Harbaugh

this. i said it in another thread too. itll never happen but it would be fun as hell to watch these two guys work lol
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Jack Harbaugh

this. i said it in another thread too. itll never happen but it would be fun as hell to watch these two guys work lol

They'd attack each day with "enthusiasm unknown to humankind".
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Jack Harbaugh

They'd attack each day with "enthusiasm unknown to humankind".

Kubiak. Think of it, deeply routetd in the WCO, has history with the niners, runs a very creative running game, known a s a good QB developer.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM ]
You guys are nuts.

The whole "he runs a different offense" thing is so overrated. People act like an OC can't adjust play calling based on what a team requires. Trestman came on to replace Shanahan, was told to call the WHO and he called a purer version than Shanahan had even. This offense is largely predicated on running the ball and vertical passing, both strengths of Norv. I don't think you promote someone just because they are there, that's how you get a guy like Hostler.

For those advocating Chryst, find me one, just one, not two, not three, but one successful coordinator on either side of the ball who went 14 years in between gigs that wasn't a head coach during some portion of that time? Hell even Jimmy Raye didn't go that long between OC jobs. I think there's plenty of good reason why after Chryst fizzled out in San Diego, that no team came knocking on his door to be an OC. One of my very best friends is a long-term Chargers fan, I mean going back to both of us watching the 49ers-Chargers Superbowl together when we were younger, even to this day if you bring up Chryst's name it results in a steady stream of inappropriate four letter words. To say that his playcalling was awful would be being very generous. People focus on the Ryan Leaf season but forget that he was equally bad in 1999 with Harbaugh as the QB.

I think if Roman goes, Harbaugh's selection of an OC will be very telling about him in general. Does he promote a mediocre candidate because they are simply around, or does he bring in somebody from outside the organization with perhaps a fresh perspective and some new ideas. You can easily find someone to run this offense, the basics of it are Infante passing downfield and a Bo-Ball running game, the whole "WCO" angle is largely overplayed.

It doesn't have to be Norv, but someone experienced with calling a vertical passing offense as well as having strong credentials in calling the run game would most definitely be welcome. Norv was included simple because he did very well with the 49ers when he was here, a lot of his offensive tenets matchup well with Harbaugh's and Gore already had the best season of his career with Norv calling the plays. That said, I would like to find someone highly competent in calling passing offense especially, there's a lot of good candidates out there and the whole "they don't fit the system" excuse is kind of a bogus. There really isn't a system, not the way Andy Reid has in KC or some other teams, its a mish-mash of a variety of things but the general philosophy is heavy-run offense and vertical passing. Someone like Hue Jackson could also do very well with this offense.

Harbaugh's brother brought in a guy off the street and replaced their previous OC without missing a beat and they won a Superbowl in the process. The key is someone that meshes well with Harbaugh when it comes to offensive philosophy and there's plenty who would be good fits for this team out there.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:41 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home