There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Aldon Smith had 8.5 sacks in his down year. He played in 11 games with 8 starts. Tell me where else can we find that.

and he's the cuddliest guy in the NFL. Ask any tackle.
Originally posted by crabman82:
ask yourself the question do we want to go through the growing pains at qb with a win now roster?

or keep paying that win now roster that.. coupled with great coaching.. can make a decent, young QB manage the game like the current one is?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
ask yourself the question do we want to go through the growing pains at qb with a win now roster?

or keep paying that win now roster that.. coupled with great coaching.. can make a decent, young QB manage the game like the current one is?

without question signing kaepernick will cost us a few guys. i'm totally floored multiple fans would rather do this. there are no elite D's anymore, just pretty good ones. even the best in todays game have flaws and give up plays. i'm trying to watch my team win a super bowl and that brad johnson trent dilfer mold just wont cut it for me. guys need to wake up, the league is shifting a little bit like the nba did, its about the stars, they go further along in the playoffs than teams with game managers. erik kramer with the detroit lions made the nfc title game, but i aint trying to be that team.
forget about failures and success with a drafted qb. ask yourself the question do we want to go through the growing pains at qb with a win now roster? we just had these discussion 3 months ago when kaep wasnt playing that great. now he turns it on and some fans think we should move on before paying him. we're getting him at a discount now, we need to take care of him. i'm floored some people are thinking like this, i've seen about a dozen posters mention this, its insane.

You'd think people would have noticed by now that more often than not the hot QB in the draft doesn't really cut it in the pros. You'd also think people would have noticed that QB's don't start off as elite - it usually takes a few years. Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick - is he considered an elite QB yet? It took Drew Brees quite a few years to get to the point he is now. Last year, people thought Gino Smith was going tear up the league - how'd that work out?

First of all, I would not call what Kaepernick has been doing "managing a game." In the last game, for example, he saw that the refs were letting DB's maul receivers, so he decided that when he saw man coverage with DB's having their backs to him, he would gouge them for huge yardage. He's also taking chances with long chunk-play throws, maybe more than he should.

Secondly, this concept of the "win-now" roster is misguided. Let me take that idea apart for you. What would you call a roster with a HOF QB, the greatest receiver in the history of the NFL, a tremendous second receiver, a HOF safety and anywhere from 12 to 18 other players either in consideration for the Hall or in the Hall? Would you call that a "win-now" roster? Sure you would. The Niners had that kind of roster from 1985 to 1998. 1985- lost divisionals; 1986 - got wiped out in the divisionals; 1987 - lost to wildcard team in divisional; 1990 - lost NFC championship; 1991 - didn't make playoffs... need I go on. All I'm saying is that a loaded roster doesn't guarantee anything.

The formula for continuing success of any kind is an elite QB with a great Head Coach. Very few teams have done it without that and almost all teams who have succeeded or are in contention year after year feature this combo.
[ Edited by crake49 on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
I think some of you guys are wrong in your assumptions about Kaepernick. Kaepernick is all team and all ball. He's also a bit stubborn. I don't see him allowing an agent to muddy up the waters and make it hard on the team to sign him or to keep other good players. Do some of you think he doesn't understand the reality of the salary cap and what it takes to win? Give the guy some credit. Hey, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I think I'm right about Kaepernick.

Does this really strike you as "game manager?"

5 year $65 million
[ Edited by Eli_23 on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
I think some of you guys are wrong in your assumptions about Kaepernick. Kaepernick is all team and all ball. He's also a bit stubborn. I don't see him allowing an agent to muddy up the waters and make it hard on the team to sign him or to keep other good players. Do some of you think he doesn't understand the reality of the salary cap and what it takes to win? Give the guy some credit. Hey, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I think I'm right about Kaepernick.

he is going to get paid. fans of teams always think their guy will be the one who takes a discount. it happens sometimes, but usually its a tom brady situation where they've been paid very well for around a decade. heck even peyton coming off of neck surgery gouged the broncos for a huge deal. the problem is the going rate for qbs got out of whack, they'll have to look at that in the future.
he is going to get paid. fans of teams always think their guy will be the one who takes a discount. it happens sometimes, but usually its a tom brady situation where they've been paid very well for around a decade. heck even peyton coming off of neck surgery gouged the broncos for a huge deal. the problem is the going rate for qbs got out of whack, they'll have to look at that in the future.

He's already making more in endorsements that most elite QB's. I predict that he pushes his agent to take a six or seven year deal at about $15 to $18 mil a year with a lot of guaranteed money near the back end. He's all ball. He knows the team needs other key players to be successful. Plus, he keeps saying he wants to be a different kind of elite QB - we'll see. I don't think you're going to see Kaepernick breaking the bank on the Niners. He's too much of a team player. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow, but I don't think I'm wrong.

He's already making more in endorsements that most elite QB's. I predict that he pushes his agent to take a six or seven year deal at about $15 to $18 mil a year with a lot of guaranteed money near the back end. He's all ball. He knows the team needs other key players to be successful. Plus, he keeps saying he wants to be a different kind of elite QB - we'll see. I don't think you're going to see Kaepernick breaking the bank on the Niners. He's too much of a team player. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow, but I don't think I'm wrong.

manning is in every commercial for the last decade and still sought out big money. i understand the point you are trying to convey about being "all ball" and all that, but you're invested in it as a 49er fan and thats where the judgement gets clouded. we all want to think he will be that guy, history tells us agents run the show.
Is Kap good enough to play with a bunch of nobodies and destroy defenses? No. Is Kap good enough to lose talent on D? No.

The defense kept us in every game this year and without that effort, we lose a lot more games. We can't pay Kap a sum that let's superstars on both sides of the ball walk. He's a 15 mill per max guy.
It seems as if the 49'ers have bet the farm on him already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get as much as $22M a year. Not that he deserves it, after all look at Romo's deal, but because the organization has bought into the idea that he is the future of the organization.

Every other organization in football is probably looking at this closely. The financial burden to the team will create a difficult situation with regards to salary cap and acquisition/retention of quality players, especially when there are so many unknowns involved with his potential and capability. At the same time this could set the precedent for how the new talent, emerging from crappy rookie contracts, will be compensated.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I heard Drew Brees and Peyton Manning took discounts on their recent contracts cause they were making so much in endorsements. Cause that's how it works.

There is absolutely no way a franchise QB will take any sort of discount on their first real contract, and honestly I think it's kinda selfish of the fans to hope or expect them to. If we make it past the Panthers I'd expect probably a 4 year $55-60-ish mil. deal. No quarterback gets paid top tier on their first non-rookie contract.

Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
It seems as if the 49'ers have bet the farm on him already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get as much as $22M a year. Not that he deserves it, after all look at Romo's deal, but because the organization has bought into the idea that he is the future of the organization.

Come on, are you seriously gonna put Baalke on the same level as Jerry Jones when it comes to GM? The rest of the NFL sure as hell doesn't follow the Cowboys personnel decisions.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM ]

manning is in every commercial for the last decade and still sought out big money. i understand the point you are trying to convey about being "all ball" and all that, but you're invested in it as a 49er fan and thats where the judgement gets clouded. we all want to think he will be that guy, history tells us agents run the show.

Kaepernick is not Manning. Manning is at the end of his career and cashing out. Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but Manning always has been a bit of a dick.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home