LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

18 million according to this:

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/02/colin-kaepernick-wants-around-18-million-per-year/
$18 million? I would think it would be better to make him play out his contract next year for $973,766. Save $17million, and use it to get to the SB then see if he earns the big pay day. After that they can pay him, it isn't as if paying him $18 million now saves the team a fortune later. Whats the down side of waiting if he demands that much?
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
$18 million? I would think it would be better to make him play out his contract next year for $973,766. Save $17million, and use it to get to the SB then see if he earns the big pay day. After that they can pay him, it isn't as if paying him $18 million now saves the team a fortune later. Whats the down side of waiting if he demands that much?

The down side is losing him entirely in 3 years or having to sign him for a higher amount that is even less cap friendly. The 49ers might not be willing to pay, but other teams will pay even more.
Originally posted by rdc1:
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:

The down side is losing him entirely in 3 years or having to sign him for a higher amount that is even less cap friendly. The 49ers might not be willing to pay, but other teams will pay even more.

You can Franchise Tag him and force him to stay. There is no downside to forcing him to play out his contract. They should do a deal next year and not this year.
Originally posted by InglewoodCA9ers:
EXCELLENT POST!! Man I thought the objective of the game was to WIN!! Not looking pretty by being one dimensional and "only" throwing perfect spirals like Romo or Manning (although Manning is a known duck thrower) for a trillion yrds, yet getting trounced with their HAT brought to them in the playoffs. SMH Kap can do it both ways and will only get better as a 2yr stater.

this!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You can Franchise Tag him and force him to stay. There is no downside to forcing him to play out his contract. They should do a deal next year and not this year.

That would be bad for Kap's psyche. Imagine playing for the minimum risking injury for a team that can't commit to you despite you being 4-2 in the playoffs a play away from winning the championship! What more could he have done relative to his peers to justify having us pay him the going market rate at his position? I don't like how much QBs are being paid at all but if you identify a franchise QB you pretty much have to pony up or bring in Shaun Hill JTO Troy Smith or whomever else we think can guide this team to playoff wins. Pay him now while he is "affordable" and then move on to other business!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

That would be bad for Kap's psyche. Imagine playing for the minimum risking injury for a team that can't commit to you despite you being 4-2 in the playoffs a play away from winning the championship! What more could he have done relative to his peers to justify having us pay him the going market rate at his position? I don't like how much QBs are being paid at all but if you identify a franchise QB you pretty much have to pony up or bring in Shaun Hill JTO Troy Smith or whomever else we think can guide this team to playoff wins. Pay him now while he is "affordable" and then move on to other business!

It's possible we may never win with Kaep. We give him another year to see if he can win or chokes in the BIG GAME. Lets be straight. He's going to be a 27 year old running QB next year and still has huge development to do in the pocket, going through reads, going through progressions, using ALL his WR's and TE's, touch, accuracy, and maybe most important understanding the SITUATION in the game. Like 42 seconds left, 2 timeouts, 1st and ten at the 18 yard line you don't need to throw a prayer up to the endzone against the best CB in the league who is covering your WR like a glove.

There are just so many MENTAL aspects of the game where Kaep is big time lacking IMO. Is he physically talented? Yes. He's big, strong, powerful, big league arm, super fast running. All that is great. But he just can't seem to process the mental aspect side of the game at this point and IMO you can never win a Super Bowl if he doesn't get better at that. Perhaps he does get better. Perhaps not.

But the time frame on Kaep is shorter than people think on the WZ. He will be 27 next year. 28 and 29 is just around the corner. When the legs go he will be forced into the pocket. A place he does not excel right now or even seem comfortable.
Originally posted by ayetee:
18 million according to this:

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/02/colin-kaepernick-wants-around-18-million-per-year/

Heard the same thing on CSN Bay Area a few days ago. Supposedly Kap's agents and the front office met at the combine, and both sides liked what they heard. Kap wants Cutler money, and the team was receptive to it. That's the going rate for a top 10 QB. No surprise Kap is using that contract as a floor.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran

That is why I said lose him in 3 years. That includes the 2 franchise years at atleast 16 mil and 19 mil. If they take too hard of a line he will play out his time and go elsewhere when the opportunity presents itself. If they don't do it this year then the price will go up next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I really do trust the front office to figure out how much Kaepernick is worth.

I also think that the front office has been consistently good at contract negotiations.

Not worried about what Kaepernick's contract.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
his worth = a nude pic of him and wicket willow wilson playing video games with each other
It's possible we may never win with Kaep. We give him another year to see if he can win or chokes in the BIG GAME. Lets be straight. He's going to be a 27 year old running QB next year and still has huge development to do in the pocket, going through reads, going through progressions, using ALL his WR's and TE's, touch, accuracy, and maybe most important understanding the SITUATION in the game. Like 42 seconds left, 2 timeouts, 1st and ten at the 18 yard line you don't need to throw a prayer up to the endzone against the best CB in the league who is covering your WR like a glove.

There are just so many MENTAL aspects of the game where Kaep is big time lacking IMO. Is he physically talented? Yes. He's big, strong, powerful, big league arm, super fast running. All that is great. But he just can't seem to process the mental aspect side of the game at this point and IMO you can never win a Super Bowl if he doesn't get better at that. Perhaps he does get better. Perhaps not.

But the time frame on Kaep is shorter than people think on the WZ. He will be 27 next year. 28 and 29 is just around the corner. When the legs go he will be forced into the pocket. A place he does not excel right now or even seem comfortable.

Which is why I am sure we structure his contract to where we can cut him without too much drain on the cap and we will draft and groom his heir apparent or if all else fails we trade him for picks! Plus if Kap sucks it up we will likely fall in standings to where we will be in striking range of another franchise QB. I just don't see Kap regressing, I see him progressing and we all knew he was a project when we drafted him. Plus I thought Russell Wilson just showed us that a running QB can win it all. Some of you can act like Russell was a "pocket QB" but he was anything but. He won by using a heavy dose of the read option and by scrambling and dancing around to buy time or squirt out for yardage. He didn't just "stand and deliver" and the QB that tried to vs SEA (Manning) failed miserably! Kap nearly won it all 2 years in a row as is!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I really do trust the front office to figure out how much Kaepernick is worth.

I also think that the front office has been consistently good at contract negotiations.

Not worried about what Kaepernick's contract.

I agree. All of our core players have never hit the open market. The front office has been really good about extending guys to fair long-term deals. I expect the same thing to happen with Kap.
Three chances at the ring and he is seemingly getting farther away, not closer to one. All the physical gifts a player could want or have, but figuring out how to get the rock across the Endzone is not one of his fortes. I can see why JH and TB may have disagreed over him, one guy seeing the talent, the other guy seeing the potential for not finishing it off. Nobody in my recollection has come into the NFL the first 3 yrs and been in NFCC, SB and NFCC games. Kap did. The ring, right there, eluded him.

The first one was a coaching error, not kap's. JH not watching Coughlin tell his PR to get away from the punt unless a perfect fair catch... was a disastrous error in the Stick wind, rain and mud. Coughlin, the wizened smart coach, had his PR stay well away from the ball unless it was an easy fair catch. So pin that one on the guy looking for the biggest contract for coaches anywhere.

But SB and last yr were right square in kap's reach and he choked. Sure the playcalling sucked, but smart QBs know when a play called is a bad play. Also they know how to bail out of trouble and try again on a failed play. All that talent, all that physical ability...didn't help kap get the ball into the EZ. Why should it help him again if he were lucky enough to even sniff the SB again? That to me is the problem. Maybe Trent saw that at Reno. Maybe not, but I can certainly see where Harbaugh could have been rolled by the "physical specimen".. In the end, the "JOE COOL" wasn't there. Hell, it wasn't even in the same area code. 80 million and 2 yrs to win it all...or start looking elsewhere at QB.

This wouldn't be that big a deal except we field one of the best Ds in yrs and at times the best in the NFL. That is all wasted if we got a QB who looks great, destroys weak teams, loses to great ones, and then can't finish. That is kap in a nutshell, and physicality aside, not closing the deal is a deal buster for a Qb on a team as talented as this one.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Three chances at the ring and he is seemingly getting farther away, not closer to one. All the physical gifts a player could want or have, but figuring out how to get the rock across the Endzone is not one of his fortes. I can see why JH and TB may have disagreed over him, one guy seeing the talent, the other guy seeing the potential for not finishing it off. Nobody in my recollection has come into the NFL the first 3 yrs and been in NFCC, SB and NFCC games. Kap did. The ring, right there, eluded him.

The first one was a coaching error, not kap's. JH not watching Coughlin tell his PR to get away from the punt unless a perfect fair catch... was a disastrous error in the Stick wind, rain and mud. Coughlin, the wizened smart coach, had his PR stay well away from the ball unless it was an easy fair catch. So pin that one on the guy looking for the biggest contract for coaches anywhere.

But SB and last yr were right square in kap's reach and he choked. Sure the playcalling sucked, but smart QBs know when a play called is a bad play. Also they know how to bail out of trouble and try again on a failed play. All that talent, all that physical ability...didn't help kap get the ball into the EZ. Why should it help him again if he were lucky enough to even sniff the SB again? That to me is the problem. Maybe Trent saw that at Reno. Maybe not, but I can certainly see where Harbaugh could have been rolled by the "physical specimen".. In the end, the "JOE COOL" wasn't there. Hell, it wasn't even in the same area code. 80 million and 2 yrs to win it all...or start looking elsewhere at QB.

This wouldn't be that big a deal except we field one of the best Ds in yrs and at times the best in the NFL. That is all wasted if we got a QB who looks great, destroys weak teams, loses to great ones, and then can't finish. That is kap in a nutshell, and physicality aside, not closing the deal is a deal buster for a Qb on a team as talented as this one.

Give the youngster time. This will be his second full offseason as starter!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone