LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Hey, Luck has blown chunks on several occasions this year. So I wouldn't hold him up to be the posterboy of maturing qb's. He threw....7? ... picks in two playoff games? is that right? That's a lot of picks for two games.

I am not saying Kap is mr wonderful.

Luck carried Indy with a mediocre running game and very average (at best) receivers. He is clearly the more developed QB at this time.

I find this funny. Times of changed.

Early 2011, got in hot debate of who we should have drafted Gabbert, Locker, Ponder or Kap. Most thought not Kap.

I then said Kap could EVEN be better Luck, we just don't know. On this comment, I was universally blasted. This is when some thought we should lose every game, so we could get the first pick of the draft, Luck.

Now we are seriously debating this.
Couple thoughts on his worth:

• I can't ever remember a QB undercutting his own position, right before negotiations, by bringing up "balance".
  • Is Kap's value not on par with Romo, Cutler, Stafford? He deserves how much less? One might not like what the market rate is, that doesn't warrant wholesale downgrading (that is fan-think).
  • No matter what he is going to be paid, do you really think at any value is too much? Are the Niners going to look stupid and play hardball and lose him where he could likely win a SB with someone else in his career? To be San-Diegoed (Brees) ?
  • If you are a fan of Chicago, Detroit, Dallas or Baltimore, wouldn't you trade straight up your QB for Kap?
  • Did Kap say he would give a homie discount or say he wanted to be paid fairly? What is fair in light of the above 4 QBs?
  • dj43
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Couple thoughts on his worth:

• I can't ever remember a QB undercutting his own position, right before negotiations, by bringing up "balance".
  • Is Kap's value not on par with Romo, Cutler, Stafford? He deserves how much less? One might not like what the market rate is, that doesn't warrant wholesale downgrading (that is fan-think).
  • No matter what he is going to be paid, do you really think at any value is too much? Are the Niners going to look stupid and play hardball and lose him where he could likely win a SB with someone else in his career? To be San-Diegoed (Brees) ?
  • If you are a fan of Chicago, Detroit, Dallas or Baltimore, wouldn't you trade straight up your QB for Kap?
  • Did Kap say he would give a homie discount or say he wanted to be paid fairly? What is fair in light of the above 4 QBs?
I believe Stafford's contract will be the bench mark. Stafford is a young QB that has appears to have a very high ceiling but has not reached it yet. He is getting $18MILLION/yr. .
Originally posted by NCommand:
10-13M per year. Bank on it.

I would love if it were true. More than likely, we are just setting up all to be disappointed. I personally hope that they up the guaranteed money and less per year.

While Kap is not in the Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers level, I sure love that Rodgers cannot touch our team and the great Manning was no match for the Seahawks yet the Niners were. We beat N.O. and by extrapolation we are better than NE.

If we are year-in-year-out in the playoffs. Pay the man.
MM is saying that Kap's people have set the floor at Cutler's deal. Supposedly they all had a good first meeting, which suggests Baalke isn't too far off on that number.

So that's about 17 million a year. If MM's sources are correct.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
MM is saying that Kap's people have set the floor at Cutler's deal. Supposedly they all had a good first meeting, which suggests Baalke isn't too far off on that number.

So that's about 17 million a year. If MM's sources are correct.
Well thank goodness for the cap going up. Geez!
Yeah but the 49ers should front load Kaps deal just incase he somehow flames out (which I don't think he will) and the cap hit would be lesser. He's fairly young (26 will be 27 in November) got a big arm with big upside, altho he does still need a lot of work, he has and will continue to make Big progress so I do hope a deal gets done.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
His worth = nude photo of himself eating Mighty Wings and playing video games next to wicket willow wilson
The way to handle this is to let him play out his rookie contract. Kaep needs a really, really good team around him to win. He is not the type to carry a team and make it win. So keeping his salary low and signing other guys around him makes the most sense. The #'s they are talking about now don't make sense for a guy who has not proven he can win the big game. But if they are talking those #'s then it is actually best to sign him to the Cutler "floor" contract of $17 million per year. Because with the cap going up and continuing to go up in future years it will actually look good someday when guys start making $25 million and $27 million per year in the future at QB. Someday this will look like a good salary cap deal. Right now it may cost us Iupati and Crabtree both in FA. But in the long run it could be a good deal. I would definitely sign him to the floor deal. Not the ceiling. He has to earn that if he wants it and he hasn't yet.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The way to handle this is to let him play out his rookie contract. Kaep needs a really, really good team around him to win. He is not the type to carry a team and make it win. So keeping his salary low and signing other guys around him makes the most sense. The #'s they are talking about now don't make sense for a guy who has not proven he can win the big game. But if they are talking those #'s then it is actually best to sign him to the Cutler "floor" contract of $17 million per year. Because with the cap going up and continuing to go up in future years it will actually look good someday when guys start making $25 million and $27 million per year in the future at QB. Someday this will look like a good salary cap deal. Right now it may cost us Iupati and Crabtree both in FA. But in the long run it could be a good deal. I would definitely sign him to the floor deal. Not the ceiling. He has to earn that if he wants it and he hasn't yet.

If we sign Kaep and he doesnt progress much, which I dont think he did this year, we will be in huge trouble if we dont have Crabtree on the team. We would need some heavy replacements at WR.

Originally posted by xela510:

If we sign Kaep and he doesnt progress much, which I dont think he did this year, we will be in huge trouble if we dont have Crabtree on the team. We would need some heavy replacements at WR.

I agree that he did not make much progress. Maybe even regression. Crabtree seems necessary for him or at least some other really good WR's. He needs a lot around him. Yes we could be in big trouble with a big Kaep contract. Kaep is not carrying this team IMO. It's a great defense, o line, WR's and TE. We have tremendous talent on this team. Kaep does his thing but does not carry this team. Put him on Jacksonville or Cleveland and they are nowhere IMO. He's fortunate to be on the 49ers. Breaking the bank for him would be foolish. We need a lot of players around him and we need money for that.
I agree that he did not make much progress. Maybe even regression. Crabtree seems necessary for him or at least some other really good WR's. He needs a lot around him. Yes we could be in big trouble with a big Kaep contract. Kaep is not carrying this team IMO. It's a great defense, o line, WR's and TE. We have tremendous talent on this team. Kaep does his thing but does not carry this team. Put him on Jacksonville or Cleveland and they are nowhere IMO. He's fortunate to be on the 49ers. Breaking the bank for him would be foolish. We need a lot of players around him and we need money for that.
This is where the cap jumping by $10million helps. We can pay Kap a second tier QB and still keep the team together. Aside from this the draft picks Baalke has amassed for this and next draft will be key to add a ton of cheap premium talent and we still have half of last year's class being added to the mix. We will be fine

I see your point with the Defense and perhaps the Offensive Line, but I think Kaep would have had better passing statistics had the WR and TE had a bigger impact. Kaep carried the offense more than a couple times with his legs. I think he deserves a bit more credit than you give him.
19 Million a year will be the deal.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
19 Million a year will be the deal.

Could be but I doubt it. I just hope it is a lengthy deal because with the cap going up some QB will look to make $25million annually like Andrew Luck next year
Share 49ersWebzone