There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

BrianGo!!!

You owe me a new SHIRT and KEYBOARD!!!!! I'm never getting this coffee out.

LMFO and blowing Coffee out of my nose.
10-13M per year. Bank on it.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Matt Schaub is making $13M this year. Something to think about. And, the Texans may end up retaining Schaub .

I live in Houston, so I get the whole down low.

If only the Bay Area would give the 49ers the same air time as Houston gives the Texans. But I'm sure Gary Radnich would quit if he had to bring them up more that once per broadcast.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Matt Schaub is making $13M this year. Something to think about. And, the Texans may end up retaining Schaub .

I live in Houston, so I get the whole down low.

If only the Bay Area would give the 49ers the same air time as Houston gives the Texans. But I'm sure Gary Radnich would quit if he had to bring them up more that once per broadcast.

We'd give Alex 10M a year. CK has a higher ceiling for the type of offensive philosophy HaRoMan employs. So 10-13M is my best guess but much will be guaranteed and like ALL of our contracts, they will be win-win for the player/FO and really, our future as a team (can keep others which is something CK wants as well).

LOL to your other points...spot on.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM ]

I hope you're right about that. That would be a good deal for the Niners and it would allow them to sign some other players. That's what Kaepernick says he wants. I was thinking it would be about $15 mil per year.

That's possible, but the only way I can see that, is if it's a three or four year deal, and I don't like a short term deal for either side, for many reasons.

Kap is going to want a long-term deal, he wants his team committed to him, and obviously, he would want more guaranteed money that comes with the longer deal.
Kap is going to be around 30 in 3 - 4 years. That is not the ideal time to sign a long term contract, especially with his running ability, so he will spend his whole career playing for short 3 - 4 year deals.

The 49ers will save more money in the LONG RUN if they signed him to a long-term contract. You don't buy high and sell low, or buy at market and sell at market; rather, you buy low, sell high. A short term contract will either give us a player who makes exactly what he is worth at WORST, and at best it will give us a superstar who will command an even bigger salary in a few short years.

Are we really killing our team by signing him for around 15 - 20, with a reasonable inflation curve? In 3 - 4 years, for all we know, the way the inflation is soaring in the NFL, he might command 30 million a year. We don't know that he won't. Wouldn't it be nice to have a top quarterback at 22 million in 5 years, when Russell Wilson and plenty others are making at least 30 million per? Inflation comes FAST. That is why longer term deals are essential if you want to save the most money. "Buy in bulk" so to speak.

30 million sounds impossible? Sure, that's what they would have said five years ago about 20 million per.
Let's make the smart move and lock him up, and not be penny wise, pound foolish.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Hey, Luck has blown chunks on several occasions this year. So I wouldn't hold him up to be the posterboy of maturing qb's. He threw....7? ... picks in two playoff games? is that right? That's a lot of picks for two games.

I am not saying Kap is mr wonderful.

Luck carried Indy with a mediocre running game and very average (at best) receivers. He is clearly the more developed QB at this time.

I find this funny. Times of changed.

Early 2011, got in hot debate of who we should have drafted Gabbert, Locker, Ponder or Kap. Most thought not Kap.

I then said Kap could EVEN be better Luck, we just don't know. On this comment, I was universally blasted. This is when some thought we should lose every game, so we could get the first pick of the draft, Luck.

Now we are seriously debating this.
Couple thoughts on his worth:

• I can't ever remember a QB undercutting his own position, right before negotiations, by bringing up "balance".
  • Is Kap's value not on par with Romo, Cutler, Stafford? He deserves how much less? One might not like what the market rate is, that doesn't warrant wholesale downgrading (that is fan-think).
  • No matter what he is going to be paid, do you really think at any value is too much? Are the Niners going to look stupid and play hardball and lose him where he could likely win a SB with someone else in his career? To be San-Diegoed (Brees) ?
  • If you are a fan of Chicago, Detroit, Dallas or Baltimore, wouldn't you trade straight up your QB for Kap?
  • Did Kap say he would give a homie discount or say he wanted to be paid fairly? What is fair in light of the above 4 QBs?
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Couple thoughts on his worth:

• I can't ever remember a QB undercutting his own position, right before negotiations, by bringing up "balance".
  • Is Kap's value not on par with Romo, Cutler, Stafford? He deserves how much less? One might not like what the market rate is, that doesn't warrant wholesale downgrading (that is fan-think).
  • No matter what he is going to be paid, do you really think at any value is too much? Are the Niners going to look stupid and play hardball and lose him where he could likely win a SB with someone else in his career? To be San-Diegoed (Brees) ?
  • If you are a fan of Chicago, Detroit, Dallas or Baltimore, wouldn't you trade straight up your QB for Kap?
  • Did Kap say he would give a homie discount or say he wanted to be paid fairly? What is fair in light of the above 4 QBs?
I believe Stafford's contract will be the bench mark. Stafford is a young QB that has appears to have a very high ceiling but has not reached it yet. He is getting $18MILLION/yr. .

I would love if it were true. More than likely, we are just setting up all to be disappointed. I personally hope that they up the guaranteed money and less per year.

While Kap is not in the Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers level, I sure love that Rodgers cannot touch our team and the great Manning was no match for the Seahawks yet the Niners were. We beat N.O. and by extrapolation we are better than NE.

If we are year-in-year-out in the playoffs. Pay the man.
MM is saying that Kap's people have set the floor at Cutler's deal. Supposedly they all had a good first meeting, which suggests Baalke isn't too far off on that number.

So that's about 17 million a year. If MM's sources are correct.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
MM is saying that Kap's people have set the floor at Cutler's deal. Supposedly they all had a good first meeting, which suggests Baalke isn't too far off on that number.

So that's about 17 million a year. If MM's sources are correct.
Well thank goodness for the cap going up. Geez!
Yeah but the 49ers should front load Kaps deal just incase he somehow flames out (which I don't think he will) and the cap hit would be lesser. He's fairly young (26 will be 27 in November) got a big arm with big upside, altho he does still need a lot of work, he has and will continue to make Big progress so I do hope a deal gets done.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
His worth = nude photo of himself eating Mighty Wings and playing video games next to wicket willow wilson
The way to handle this is to let him play out his rookie contract. Kaep needs a really, really good team around him to win. He is not the type to carry a team and make it win. So keeping his salary low and signing other guys around him makes the most sense. The #'s they are talking about now don't make sense for a guy who has not proven he can win the big game. But if they are talking those #'s then it is actually best to sign him to the Cutler "floor" contract of $17 million per year. Because with the cap going up and continuing to go up in future years it will actually look good someday when guys start making $25 million and $27 million per year in the future at QB. Someday this will look like a good salary cap deal. Right now it may cost us Iupati and Crabtree both in FA. But in the long run it could be a good deal. I would definitely sign him to the floor deal. Not the ceiling. He has to earn that if he wants it and he hasn't yet.