There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Kaeps worth....?

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by nflguy49:
Kaps inability to be effective when asked to be a drop back passer (especially in the redzone) has been a major factor in the past two seasons. They both ended on poorly thrown redzone passes instead of Super Bowl wins.

He's clearly an amazing talent but the path to a Super Bowl championship usually goes through at least one team with a defense that forces running qbs like Kap to try to beat them as a drop back passer. I think SF should let Kap finish his rookie contract and see if he improves this yr. they can always franchise him in 2015 and still pay less then they would on a 100+ million deal.

If I'm the Niners I would want to see Kap take a step forward as a passer before committing $100 million to him. Thankfully they have two more seasons before not signing him to a new contract gets expensive.

I think the opposite should happen. Extend him now (this offseason) before he improves to the point where a $17+/yr deal is his asking price. It's a risk, I understand. However, if the 49ers take the patient approach, it could end up costing them an extra $2-$3 per year if they wait to extend him after the 14-15 season. This is with the premise that he will continue his improvement in the 14-15 season, the improvement I see when comparing his early season performance to his end of the season performance. He's 'getting it' when it comes to quarterbacking, whether his skeptics want to acknowledge that or not. I guess I'm already sold on him showing more improvement in this upcoming season. I want to "buy low" on extending Kap.
60 pages on his worth? WOW!

4 years, 60 million extension and not a penny more. If that doesn't get it done, franchise him until he wins a super bowl. THEN pay him
Originally posted by thl408:
Kaps inability to be effective when asked to be a drop back passer (especially in the redzone) has been a major factor in the past two seasons. They both ended on poorly thrown redzone passes instead of Super Bowl wins.

He's clearly an amazing talent but the path to a Super Bowl championship usually goes through at least one team with a defense that forces running qbs like Kap to try to beat them as a drop back passer. I think SF should let Kap finish his rookie contract and see if he improves this yr. they can always franchise him in 2015 and still pay less then they would on a 100+ million deal.

If I'm the Niners I would want to see Kap take a step forward as a passer before committing $100 million to him. Thankfully they have two more seasons before not signing him to a new contract gets expensive.

I think the opposite should happen. Extend him now (this offseason) before he improves to the point where a $17+/yr deal is his asking price. It's a risk, I understand. However, if the 49ers take the patient approach, it could end up costing them an extra $2-$3 per year if they wait to extend him after the 14-15 season. This is with the premise that he will continue his improvement in the 14-15 season, the improvement I see when comparing his early season performance to his end of the season performance. He's 'getting it' when it comes to quarterbacking, whether his skeptics want to acknowledge that or not. I guess I'm already sold on him showing more improvement in this upcoming season. I want to "buy low" on extending Kap.

Don't you think his asking price is in that ballpark now? There are about 8 Qbs making 17mil or more a year. A few on that list have done little to nothing in the playoffs(Romo, Stafford, Ryan, Cutler). Kap's agent will probably use these QBs contracts as a benchmark for him......
This all depends on whether Kaepernick is calling the shots or his agents are calling the shots. If Kaepernick is in charge, he's already said he wants to be reasonable.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by thl408:

Don't you think his asking price is in that ballpark now? There are about 8 Qbs making 17mil or more a year. A few on that list have done little to nothing in the playoffs(Romo, Stafford, Ryan, Cutler). Kap's agent will probably use these QBs contracts as a benchmark for him......

I suppose Kap could be in that ballpark range now. My point is to get Kap signed now before his price goes up, in response to hearing how some posters suggested waiting until after his rookie deal expires after the 14-15 season. Again, this is on the premise that he will improve. With a full year of Crabs/Boldin, Kap's passing numbers should improve raising his price after the 14-15 season. What I am scared of is the extension that Dalton will sign. Whatever Dalton gets, Kap can easily ask for $1-$2/yr more.

Kaep's agent can ask for whatever he wants but why should our franchise follow the lead of the piss poor franchises you've mentioned.

We're a top 5 franchise right now because of the way Baalke & Co have done business the last 3 years. They don't overpay anyone. They take care of their own talent. They don't get into bidding wars to win free agency.

A deal will be worked but it won't be on the terms that other Franchises have dictated.
Originally posted by AUniner:

Kaep's agent can ask for whatever he wants but why should our franchise follow the lead of the piss poor franchises you've mentioned.

We're a top 5 franchise right now because of the way Baalke & Co have done business the last 3 years. They don't overpay anyone. They take care of their own talent. They don't get into bidding wars to win free agency.

A deal will be worked but it won't be on the terms that other Franchises have dictated.

That's the nature of the business. Good NFL QBs come at a premium.

Kap's contract extension will be about "getting paid fairly in comparison to his peers". His words. Not on the terms other franchises dictated.
$8 - 14 / Year
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

4 years, 60 million extension and not a penny more. If that doesn't get it done, franchise him until he wins a super bowl. THEN pay him

Franchising a qb. That's the cheap option alright.
Originally posted by English:

That statement just sounded ridiculous. Franchise him until he wins a Super Bowl? What kind of standard is that?
Originally posted by Niners99:
That statement just sounded ridiculous. Franchise him until he wins a Super Bowl? What kind of standard is that?

I'm willing to give up the extra 3-5 million a year to make sure he's the right guy for the next 7 years. Vince Young, Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez.

Daunte Culpepper:
First 73 career games: 129 TDs - 74 INTs - 93.2 Passer Rating - 64.4 Completion Percentage. 4700 passing season @ 27 years old

Next 27 starts (Age 27-32): 20 TDs - 32 INTs - 71.7 Passer Rating - 59.0 Completion Percentage ( )

This is always the fear with athletic freaks. What happens when the physical gifts deteriorate. . . . .
[ Edited by Touchdownboy1980 on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM ]

Sarcasm?
Originally posted by Touchdownboy1980:

This is always the fear with athletic freaks. What happens when the physical gifts deteriorate. . . . .

Two things I think are important to keep in mind on that issue:

1. He's clearly in the process of learning to rely more on pocket skills and use his athletic abilities as a fallback, and;

2. Have you noticed how maniacally he is dedicated to staying in shape?

I understand what you both are saying...but...it is an option. While the tag is pricey...when you average it in with the fact that he'll make what, 900 k this season? Suddenly it looks pretty cheap. The threat of it will certainly be used in negotiating with the agent. "Yeah he's worth 16-18 million per year but this year he'll get 1..so let's average that in to a 6 year contract and we're looking at 14 million a year and call it a 6 year 85-90 million dollar contract."

If his agent doesn't budge, letting him play out his contract gives the 9ers a chance to keep the roster around him..maybe even improve it for another season..that is big.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I understand what you both are saying...but...it is an option. While the tag is pricey...when you average it in with the fact that he'll make what, 900 k this season? Suddenly it looks pretty cheap. The threat of it will certainly be used in negotiating with the agent. "Yeah he's worth 16-18 million per year but this year he'll get 1..so let's average that in to a 6 year contract and we're looking at 14 million a year and call it a 6 year 85-90 million dollar contract."

If his agent doesn't budge, letting him play out his contract gives the 9ers a chance to keep the roster around him..maybe even improve it for another season..that is big.

This is an excellent point! You have a genius outlook on this. Use the rookie wage as leverage to negotiate a very reasonable rate for us! I can live with $14 mil annually as a fan but then I aibt Kap or Jed either